Y'all expect the lionfish population to surge during the diving shutdown ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As I understand, the lionfish are often (and legally) killed on sight in the marine park, and I was wondering if it's expected that the shutdown might noticeably affect their numbers.

I'm sure they will. Also, some that are deep will come up. I am wondering if there will be a surge other marine life.

Is anyone diving at all? Commercial divers?

Also, some that are deep will come up
Mostly that I think, and perhaps others migrating from outside of the park. But there will also be some that were tiny juveniles when the park was closed that grow to hunting size by the time it opens. Small fishes, shrimps, and other marine life is suffering more.

I would go along with migrating up from depth but doubt there will much migration from outside the park. Perhaps Chun Chacaab up through Punta Sur but I do not think they will move much against a current. There was a decent population buried within the reefs that avoided divers (past missed shots:mad:) without hunting pressure I think they will become embolden to hangout in the open at least until they remember what those bubble machines are. I hope to be on the first Saturday flight down after it re-opens.

As I understand, the lionfish are often (and legally) killed on sight in the marine park, and I was wondering if it's expected that the shutdown might noticeably affect their numbers.
It is true that divers have been killing them and yes, I expect that their population will surge during the diving hiatus.

I dove Dominica - 2018 from a cruise ship after a hurricane devastated the island. There was basically no tourism so not much diving or lion fish hunting. My chosen dive op had to borrow a fishing boat since his dive boat hadn't been repaired yet. Two of the four divers in my group where locals just hunting lion fish. I've never seen so many. There were groups of fully mature lion fish of up to 8 in some groups. They hadn't been hunted so they just stayed in place while they were speared. In a two tank dive they harvested way over 100.

Remember when from Palancar to the south was closed for three months? I don't remember them saying there was a surge in lion fish, I didn't see a whole lot more but I wasn't diving every day either.

The very first morning you may see some differences overall but I think it'll be normal rather quickly.

Remember when from Palancar to the south was closed for three months? I don't remember them saying there was a surge in lion fish, I didn't see a whole lot more but I wasn't diving every day either.

The very first morning you may see some differences overall but I think it'll be normal rather quickly.
And La Perlita won't be running out of lionfish as quickly for a while.

I saw some pictures of some large lionfish that had been speared. I assumed they had come up from depth, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom