Y'all fail Big Time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple, lower your standard of living. I'm sure many, many persons living in impoverished parts of the world have no problem limiting themselves to 100 possessions or less. Nothing at all hard about it if you are truly committed. Most are content to just "feel" guilty.

Simple, lower your standard of living. I'm sure many, many persons living in impoverished parts of the world have no problem limiting themselves to 100 possessions or less. Nothing at all hard about it if you are truly committed. Most are content to just "feel" guilty.

I think that's exactly why the simpler living/decluttering thing is so popular right now. So many people have been forced to lower their standard of living, due to the economy. So now they can sell off their second car, and their second home, and their art collection and not feel like people will look askance. Or if everyone had to move every 2 years, that would make sure you didn't accumulate things.

Nope, don't even feel guilty. I worked hard for what I have. Could I move using only my car? Nope, don't want to. In 1977 my home burned to the ground. I had less than 5 items and that included the clothes I was wearing. I hope never to be in that position ever again.

Exactly. My mother's church is working with a local man in Nigeria who is trying to get households outfitted as well as wells drilled in impoverished communities there. For $210 he can give everyone in an entire household everything they need. It hit me hardest when I heard what the $210 buys..... a toothbrush for everyone, a single fork for everyone, a plate for everyone, a 2" thick mattress for the mother ....... you get the idea. I was immediately shamed for my standard of living and then promptly "outfitted an entire family".

Piece of cake. Of course, you misspelled 'Dive'. It should read 'How to Dive with just 100 Things' :D

Arrrrgggghhhhhhhh, yeah, DIVE, that is what they mean, a typo, good, cuz if I multiply by 10 then I might make that goal. :D

N

Think I'll print this thread and glue it all over my dive stuff. Other divers seeing me for the 1st time think that I have stepped out from a time capsule - LOL!

Recently heard an interview of someone named McAfee. I believe he made some change from the computer anti virus world. He apparently had a sea change and decided that he didn't need all assets that he had accumulated - real estate holdings, 6 cars etc etc. He said that he had loads of stuff in cupboards at home that he had not even remembered. He has sold off his cars, real estate holdings, and given away tons of stuff.

He is now living in a rented house on an island (Belize way, I think). I hope he's a diver.

All the power to people that can live their lives as such. There is a definite freedom in not being a slave to your possessions. There is so much maintenance in just owning stuff.

As green as I try to be, I am unfortunately an addict. I can't help it, I love collecting possessions. One thing is the hobby of collecting stuff sucks the bank account down. I have been selling stuff off lately though at a huge loss.

Imagine having all your possessions fit into a sailboat, and traveling the watery world...

Hmmm... at one time I only owned less than 100 items. I moved to Catalina in 1969 with a backpack and two boxes. I adhered to the philosophy of voluntary simplicity in those days (besides, I didn't get paid enough to buy much more!). Unfortunately over the last 40 years I've accumulated too much.

For example, I have hundreds of CDs and even 50-60 LPs. Once I get them all converted to iPod format, I can sell them off and eliminate that much "stuff..." maybe even the four CD players I own.

As for "slave labor," I'm not 100% certain of what you mean. If you refer to young children working in factories to help support their families, we did something that altogether different in our earlier history when children were "forced" to work on the family farm. Low wages? $5US per day in some countries is considered to be good pay. There are cultural differences that must be considered. However, if someone is being held captive against their will and forced to work, that I agree with.

The one thing he has right on that blog is the evilness in big box stores. That message is much more important than concern with how many items are in the home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom