Yellow hose when donating primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheFife

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I often see a yellow hose used for the octopus/safe second. I think the logic is that helps a buddy easily identify the regulator if they have an out of air situation. So my question is whether the primary regulator hose should be yellow when your configuration has you donating your primary regulator, as when using an Air 2 or a long hose configuration.

What do you think, does it make sense to use yellow to identify the hose of the regulator you intend to donate, regardless of whether it is your primary or octo?

Your logic makes sense BUT usually in an out of air situation the person who is out of air is going to grab at the first regulator they see whether it is hanging by your side or in your mouth.
Doesn't matter how someone is trained you never know how they will react when the "stuff hits the fan" moment happens.
This doesn't apply to all divers but a lot of them.

Color doesn't matter......practice donating and receiving does.

I think in OOA situation you get very focussed (tunnel vision), I too strongly doubt the color of the hose matters at all. This is probably why so many report that the reg might get snatched from your mouth: it was the one the 1st one they saw. I like the configuration of long hose on the primary and bungee the backup, I suspect it will someday be the standard setup.
BWT if you wish, you could use yellow 2nd stages or one or both regs.

Sorry to say in the few OGG situations I've responded to (don't ask, they weren't even diving with me) neither my color or the color of my hose made any difference to the blue face coming at me with wild eyes.

My only concern is hiding my o2 reg, if I'm jumped for gas I'd like it to be breathable for whoever is nabbing it.

As already stated, drill drill drill. We need muscle memory when our brains or buddies are less than rational.

Regards,
Cameron

I dive with a mixed bag of people. I use a long hose but my students have the choice. If they decide on a short hose, I've found that the standard reg sets with second stages swapped works quite well.

I.e. Yellow longer hose to primary, black shorter hose under arm to necklace. Gives a bit more room to manoeuvre when doing OOG.

I wouldn't buy a yellow hose especially but no reason not to use one you have.

I agree that one in a thousand might notice but there is no downside so why not?

Oh and I agree with all above, drill drill drill. Every dive. At random times.

It's amazing the difference it makes to the donors heart rate.

I agree with every post. Besides, at depth at some point yellow will disappear. I suppose at depths shallower than that yellow can't hurt. One instructor told his class after doing the OOA skill that he's never heard of anyone OOA following such an exact procedure.

Last edited:
Based on my 40 year + of diving, the OOA diver is going to grab that VERY sexy, attractive, enticing second stage blowing delicious bubbles in your mouth!! You can have neon lights flashing on your octopus that is hanging on you, they will still grab that attractive second in your mouth.

I use a yellow seven foot primary hose. I've never had to test the theory but I have donated the primary in non-emergency situations twice, just to extend the dive when my buddy was low on air. It made it easier to reach our exit point rather than swim on the surface.

you asked a question that contradicts your thread title. If you are donating the regulator, what does it matter what it looks like? The bright colors are fine if you want a primary/secondary take, but if you are donating the regulator, it doesn't matter. No need to get weird hose or regulator colors for that purpose.

I have color coded hoses and regulators for other reasons, but none of them have anything to do with a buddy or an OOA situation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom