Yellowstone Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdp

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy Everyone,

I am planning to be at Yellowstone in June and was wondering if anyone has ever dove Yellowstone Lake or any of the other lakes in the area. I haven't been able to find out much about diving in this area other than some lake names and elevations.

Any information that anyone can provide about diving in this part of the country will be greatly appreciated.

Randy
Grand Praire, TX

I live close to Yellowstone. While I have never dived Yellowstone Lake I have dived many other lakes/rivers around here. PM me with more specifics and I'll set you up.

sdp:
Howdy Everyone,

I am planning to be at Yellowstone in June and was wondering if anyone has ever dove Yellowstone Lake or any of the other lakes in the area. I haven't been able to find out much about diving in this area other than some lake names and elevations.

Any information that anyone can provide about diving in this part of the country will be greatly appreciated.

Randy
Grand Praire, TX
Yes I have dove Yellowstone Lake. I was raised in the park with my mom for about three years as a permanent resident. My Biological Mother worked for the park service. I got to dive there quite often. There is in fact some off limits areas due to the water temp being so hot. You do have to get a Permit to do it so check with the local ranger at the gates. In addition if you want to dive off a boat you need a boat permit also. I am heading up there the first week of May to visit my mom, going to try and get at least one dive in. Need any more info let me know I can get you the permit papers and all if needed.

Thank you for the information about the permits. I don't have a boat so no worries there, only shore diving for me. I will have to make sure that I only go in the designated areas. If you can point me to the permit papers and or the rules on-line somewhere I would appreciate it. (will search on my own)

So how is the diving? I would expect the water to be clear and cold (i.e. 40's). (I ice dive in the winter, so I have the proper gear.) What about aquatic life? I was considering shooting some photos or video, but didn't know if it is worth the effort of lugging the extra gear.

I am familiar with diving at altitude and have done so many times (I can teach the specialty), but in Texas we only get to about 3000ft. So this would be my highest dive.

Randy
Grand Prairie, TX

sdp:
Thank you for the information about the permits. I don't have a boat so no worries there, only shore diving for me. I will have to make sure that I only go in the designated areas. If you can point me to the permit papers and or the rules on-line somewhere I would appreciate it. (will search on my own)

So how is the diving? I would expect the water to be clear and cold (i.e. 40's). (I ice dive in the winter, so I have the proper gear.) What about aquatic life? I was considering shooting some photos or video, but didn't know if it is worth the effort of lugging the extra gear.

I am familiar with diving at altitude and have done so many times (I can teach the specialty), but in Texas we only get to about 3000ft. So this would be my highest dive.

Randy
Grand Prairie, TX
I though I had them with me here at work. When i get home tonight I will contact you with the information. The water is cold and depending on where you are diving almost a 8,000 - 9,000 Alt dive. There are alot to see under the water. In addition you can dive firehole river. Warm and very intreasting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom