Yemen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver0004

Contributor
Reaction score
Why do we not hear about the war in Yemen where a child dies every 27 minutes from starvation ? When I called my Senator Chris Murphy to ask about this I was told ," This is a humanitarian disaster ". Why do we not hear about this ? Why is is acceptable to condemn one aggression and not the other ?? The first causality in war is truth and we are not being told the truth .

You (or I) couldn't count the daily tragedy in the world on 1,000 fingers and toes. News has not been in the business of news for decades, at least here in the states. That's why they're registered as entertainment, where they earn by hyping up whatever is hot enough to sell.

Like it or not, people care about that which has a direct impact on them more than that which does not. Be it gas prices, starving children, child soldiers, immigration policy, etc. The world has a vested interest in monitoring Ukraine because it can cause tragedy/disruption an order of magnitude much higher than starvation, at least by countries' vested interests.

Why Yemen? What about South Sudan, Venezuela, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Congo, Iraq, or Afghanistan? What makes one more important than the other?

You (or I) couldn't count the daily tragedy in the world on 1,000 fingers and toes. News has not been in the business of news for decades, at least here in the states. That's why they're registered as entertainment, where they earn by hyping up whatever is hot enough to sell.

Like it or not, people care about that which has a direct impact on them more than that which does not. Be it gas prices, starving children, child soldiers, immigration policy, etc. The world has a vested interest in monitoring Ukraine because it can cause tragedy/disruption an order of magnitude much higher than starvation, at least by countries' vested interests.

Why Yemen? What about South Sudan, Venezuela, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Congo, Iraq, or Afghanistan? What makes one more important than the other?
First , is there more than one scuba Steve out there as I am curious .
Second I just used Yemen as an example as to why one is more important then the other . I could have very easily said Syria or Rwanda where ," the rivers ran red with blood ".

It is not in my nature to be rude but you have not volunteered anything that I already do not know . Thank you for your reply .

I assume your post is in reference to Ukraine and the fact that it’s getting attention that isn’t given to other areas. The answer is, for at least some people - Russia. I spent a good chunk of my life worried about WWIII and being nuked. When a nuclear power starts getting frisky enough to start Europe’s first ground war in 70+ years, it gets people’s attention.

People all over the world kill each other all day every day. I‘m not going to apologize for the fact that some conflicts get my attention and others don’t.

I assume your post is in reference to Ukraine and the fact that it’s getting attention that isn’t given to other areas. The answer is, for at least some people - Russia. I spent a good chunk of my life worried about WWIII and being nuked. When a nuclear power starts getting frisky enough to start Europe’s first ground war in 70+ years, it gets people’s attention.

People all over the world kill each other all day every day. I‘m not going to apologize for the fact that some conflicts get my attention and others don’t.
I do not remember asking anybody for an apology . If I did I am afraid my words were taken out of context .

First , is there more than one scuba Steve out there as I am curious .
Second I just used Yemen as an example as to why one is more important then the other . I could have very easily said Syria or Rwanda where ," the rivers ran red with blood ".

It is not in my nature to be rude but you have not volunteered anything that I already do not know . Thank you for your reply .

Yes, ScubaSteve was taken when I signed up for SB.

I figured as much with respect to your pick of Yemen. The point is simply that there isn't always a rhyme or reason in people's choices or actions, but humanitarian crises are generally ranked with respect to danger to others. It doesn't make it right, it just is.

Yes, ScubaSteve was taken when I signed up for SB.

I figured as much with respect to your pick of Yemen. The point is simply that there isn't always a rhyme or reason in people's choices or actions, but humanitarian crises are generally ranked with respect to danger to others. It doesn't make it right, it just is.
Thank you for your reply , A long time ago I had the privilege of hearing famed attorney Alan Dershowitz speak and one of the comments he made had me perplexed for many years . Consisting of only 12 words Dershowitz stated that ," never ask a question that you don't already know the answer to ". I was confused to say the least .

Everyday of the week we ask questions that WE Don't know the answer to . I had always believed asking a question was to gain knowledge , is Jane home , do you know what time it is , what's for dinner mom , and my all time favorite , hows the vis , hows the vis ? This would make the asking a constant so his remark was a contradiction in terms for me . There had to be another meaning .

I tried to put it in an equation but it kept coming back the same . You already have the answer why ask the question ?? At first I thought he meant don't ask a question hoping the answer will prove your case .
You can see how problematic this would be if you asked a blind question that you didn't know the answer to and the answer actually ruined your theory because you didn't know if it were true or not .

The other explanation I arrived at was by already knowing the answer this would confirm a persons character in their answer . Mrs Smith is Jane home , as she's looking out the window Mrs Smith replys no . You know Mrs Smith is not being truthful .

Based on attorney Dershowitz statement I already knew prior to my asking . I was just curious as to how the forum would respond and that response or lack there of has taught me volumes . Once again thank you for your response .

I’m only going to say that when this turns political, as it will, it will be moved to the Pub. So you might as well sign up and go there.

I’m only going to say that when this turns political, as it will, it will be moved to the Pub. So you might as well sign up and go there.
My question now nor in it's origin was not meant to be political . It was meant to give me insight . I have absolutely no control over a persons interpretation . Please do not confuse humanity with politics unless you suggest the two are interwoven . If in the event it turns political that was not my intent .

My question now nor in it's origin was not meant to be political . It was meant to give me insight . I have absolutely no control over a persons interpretation . Please do not confuse humanity with politics unless you suggest the two are interwoven . If in the event it turns political that was not my intent .
I understand your intent, but in the event this turns political, look for it in the pub.

Back
Top Bottom