Yet Another BP/Wing Advice Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Done many weight checks in my drysuit, made a lot of small adjustments, mostly in the lake at the docks as it's only 2 minutes from my house. That weight is just what works best for me. The problem is when my tank gets down to <750psi I have too much positive buoyancy and cannot maintain depth/ascension without the amount of weight I carry despite the empty BC and squeeze in my drysuit. It's also the reason I spread my dumpable weight in small increments so that if I have do drop something I can attempt to maintain my ascent and won't shoot to the surface like Lawn Chair Larry. Most every dive I play with my weights and try to find my happy spot. And when we are talking about 30-32lbs it's in layered undergarments, the thicker neoprene skin, wool socks with 3mil whites socks over them, dry gloves, etc. I can easily drop my weight to the 20s by changing skins, using an MK2 without a base layer, etc but it won't cut it for 38-42 deg water.

It's funny how this thread has taken a turn, I'm not overly concerned about my weight requirements as it is not the reason for changing to a BP/Wing, I just want a better harness system for my drysuit. My ideal in a BP/wing would be trim weights on plate, and just wear my diverite weight harness. If I need more weight maybe some small pockets on the harness. If we are speaking of weight systems though and weight plates/trim weights would it be just as advantageous for me to create a some lead molds based off my backplate and then cast my own weights and attach them to the plate or just put them in pockets on the cam bands?

Anyway, getting back on track: Looking at plates I'm seeing a Demo SS Hollis plate at leisurepro for $85 and the Solo Harness system for $70. Any thoughts on those? I like LPs demo prices as I have found I can often buy the item and if I find I don't like it past their return window I can easily sell it for a minimal loss, if not a profit. It seems like the Hollis plates are one size only vs many other manufacturers making plates based off the divers height/weight. Also, would the Hollis plate require a single tank adapter?

Looking at different wings, my question is that diving with a single 8in tank is there a single tank wing that works best for the wider tanks or is it just find one you like?

Check out the Hollis Elite 2 harness or OMS Comfort 2. For the weighting issues you are having, get a stainless steel backplate. I highly recommend the Oxycheq Mach V bladder as its almost indestructible.

LP had a hollis elite 2 harness with Aluminum BP clearanced for $175 in my size that I ended up buying as well as a SS BP. I figure I can swap the BPs and either keep the AL for travel or sell it. If I don't like it I can send it back and I'm just out the shipping which is nominal. Wish I lived in an area with more selection locally so I could check out different products in the store and keep my money local.

The OP is in Idaho which is a beautiful state but not a top dive destination.

Yup..... although an excellent rafting destination, Scuba is not one of our high points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom