Yet, another diver dies.. Marathon, FL.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robinhood once bubbled...
An air embolism from 30 feet...don't think so.

The greatest change in gas volume is in that first 33 feet. It's probably the easiest place to embolize.

In reading this post I am amazed be the number of divers who have no idea how easy it can be to embolize in shallow water and that a deco stop will not prevent it because the two are not relative to one another.
Thirty five years ago when I started diving it was impressed on me that surfacing with a full breath of air from as little as three feet could cause an embolisim. I was YMCA certified in 1970 and have no knowledge of what current diver training is composed of but it appears from reading some of the posts in this forum that it is sadly lacking.

Captain

captain, it's actually only one poster (maybe two, but I'm not too sure if CBulla wasn't maybe joking), but I agree, the lack of knowledge is worrying, especially as RobinHoods profile states he is a DM...

captain said...
In reading this post I am amazed be the number of divers who have no idea how easy it can be to embolize in shallow water and that a deco stop will not prevent it because the two are not relative to one another.

Captain

Me too .. flabbergasted may be a better word.

:banging:

When I used to teach back in the 60's and 70's, I always devoted a little classroom time to who was the first to kill you. Would it be Henry, Dalton or Good old Boyle. But also had to give specifics until people squirmed in their seats(not quite that bad), and then do pool and open water blow and goes(esa) with the explanations again. Dont know exactly how the collection of agencies teach now and I know why the protocol changed but I believe divers had a better feel for it and had it drummed in permanently. Must also say ascent rates were another issue but that would take me past the 2cent line./

did the balloon demonstration, and he did it from the bottom of the pool (don't remember but probably 12') and from 4' to emphasize the danger.

Ken

I was reading this post in bewilderment and then flet better when Captain piped in with some reality. It's rare but I'm sure people have died in pools without scuba equipment. And I'm not an expert but I'm positive you can easily get an embolism at 30 feet. In fact you can get an embolism just free diving esp. after a dive because of the soda can analogy - the more up and down or physical exertion you do, the more the Nitrogen bubbles expand and can wreak havock on your body.

Back
Top Bottom