Yet, another diver dies.. Marathon, FL.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zippsy:
When I took my OW course a zillion years ago (just after air embolisms were invented), I managed to get only one question wrong on the final PADI exam. It went something like this:

You have the greatest chance of getting an air embolism:
A) moving from 33' to 0'
B) moving from 66' to 33'
C) moving from 99' to 66'
D) moving from 99' to 0'

I obviously chose D figuring that logic over-rules what I read in the book but the instructor (known to be the best town) insisted that the PADI answer was A. I never agreed with it but I never forgot it either.

I remember a question almost the same off my exam. Except instead of asking about air embolisms, it merely asked "The greatest change in a volume of air occurs when moving..." and very similar choices.

Think inverted bucket. Think of inverting it on the surface and pushing it down. At the surface it contains exactly 1 bucketful of air. At 33' it contains exactly 1/2 a bucketful (by volume) of air. That's a change of -50% volume. Anything deeper than that is merely halving the volume: push the bucket down to 66' and the half-bucketful of air goes down to 1/4. 99', 1/8 of the original volume. The reverse happens on ascent, with the volume of air in the bucket expanding incrementally until reaching the original volume at surface pressure.

Now, suppose it wasn't a bucket ascending from 99', but a lung full of air...... in what portion of the water column would the volume of air/gas trapped in the lung expand the most?

I have to agree, this IS the scariest thread I have ever seen.

I'm new, not a pro, but I know what AGE and DCS is and how they occur.... FREAKIN scary man...

Back
Top Bottom