Yet, another diver dies.. Marathon, FL.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captain:
In reading this post I am amazed be the number of divers who have no idea how easy it can be to embolize in shallow water and that a deco stop will not prevent it because the two are not relative to one another.
Captain

Cab you explain why? Then why we are doing our safety stop

What bothers me more than apparent lack of knowledge is the attitude some divers have that it can "never happen to ME"....seems very immature. I have noticed this especially with some instructors from an LDS I used to frequent. It seems like the instructors from that shop were always out to blame the diver for something they did wrong. Sometimes, nothing goes wrong and the diver is not at fault. When you have a lot of knowledge you can avoid most of the risk, but there still seems to reason these things happen at times even when you follow all the rules correctly. Granted, this is the exception rather than the rule. Just my 2 cents.

sunnydiver:
Cab you explain why? Then why we are doing our safety stop
Go back to your basic open water class. What's the difference between embolizing and getting DCS? That should tell you the difference.

PompanoMike:
And I'm not an expert but I'm positive you can easily get an embolism at 30 feet. In fact you can get an embolism just free diving esp. after a dive because of the soda can analogy - the more up and down or physical exertion you do, the more the Nitrogen bubbles expand and can wreak havock on your body.

This post is pretty much filled with misinformation.

Yes, you can embolise from 30 feet, in fact you can do it from about 4 feet. You cannot, however, do it while free diving. Air embolism/lung expansion injury/AGE is caused by the expansion of compressed air within your lungs caused by holding one's breath while ascending.

The "soda can anology" deals with decompression sickness, not AGE/embolism.

I suggest a re-read of your basic scuba textbook.

WW

They've got to be serious, they can't be trolling with info this basic. If they were trolling they would have come up with better lines, surely.

Leadhead:
They've got to be serious, they can't be trolling with info this basic. If they were trolling they would have come up with better lines, surely.

Oh yea, they're serious. You'd be surprized how few divers actually understand things at this level.

WW

Where's the WTF cat picture when we need it?

stefo2:
captain, it's actually only one poster (maybe two, but I'm not too sure if CBulla wasn't maybe joking), but I agree, the lack of knowledge is worrying, especially as RobinHoods profile states he is a DM...

The knowlege is there, the nudge-nudge was a deco stop at 12" since you would essentially be floating face down on the surface at that point.

Wow! I hope some of these folks aren't "really" this ignorant when it comes to AGE, DCS etc. It's not rocket science, but even as a new diver myself I've already seen some scary stuff out there......

captain:
In reading this post I am amazed be the number of divers who have no idea how easy it can be to embolize in shallow water and that a deco stop will not prevent it because the two are not relative to one another.
Thirty five years ago when I started diving it was impressed on me that surfacing with a full breath of air from as little as three feet could cause an embolisim. I was YMCA certified in 1970 and have no knowledge of what current diver training is composed of but it appears from reading some of the posts in this forum that it is sadly lacking.

Captain

Wow, i was born in 1970.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom