yet another greeting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lakesdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, to all.
Another Great Lakes diver has joined the group. I've been diving 8 years. Been all around the Caribbean and Central America, but my first love is the Great Lakes, so it's obvious I suffer from brain frost.
Currently in the early planning stages for a Scapa Flow trip, so any info would be greatly welcomed.

Welcome from Beaverton, OR USA! This is the best place I have found to get good information and great conversations. Have fun!

Welcome from Rochester NY.

Lake Ontario is 8 miles from my house. I haven't Dived in it Yet ! I have been in Lake Erie though, and I plan on checking out Tobemory next year.

See you 'round the boards.

Welcome to the board from Kentucky.

Chad

Lakesdiver,
Welcome from NJ!
While I am a CAD- warm water (almost) only-
I can appreciate the beauty of the "cooler " lakes (from memory).
Good luck,
MikeD

and a WARM ARIZONA welcome.

Where is Scapa Flow?

Originally posted by lakesdiver
Hi, to all.
Another Great Lakes diver has joined the group. I've been diving 8 years. Been all around the Caribbean and Central America, but my first love is the Great Lakes, so it's obvious I suffer from brain frost.
Currently in the early planning stages for a Scapa Flow trip, so any info would be greatly welcomed.

Well welcome from north of the 49th. Can't say I can argue with your "first love", the Great Lakes (and St Lawrence) are marvelous places to dive and explore.

When you do get the Scapa Flow trip organized, please let me know the details - not that I want to go, but I do know someone who's most interested in visiting the site.

another Canadian welcome.................................Great Lake diving is the best diving on the continent...................

I thought I would let you and everyone know that my grey matter has increased, in my lookings I found Mad-Dog Expeditions and here is a bit of info:

Scapa Flow is a place with which most Americans are not familiar, yet it is Europe's most popular wreck diving destination. Recreational diving charter services in Scapa started in 1980. Since that time, groups from throughout Europe and North America have ventured here. Located in the scenic Orkney Islands, off Scotland's north coast, Scapa Flow is a natural, deep-water harbor. The "Flow" offers excellent diving and is unique to history. It was here that 74 interned warships of the German High Seas Fleet scuttled themselves shortly after the First World War. This act is unparalleled in history. Seven major vessels from the High Seas Fleet remain on the bottom and provide divers a rare glimpse into a past age. Other wrecks from the two World Wars abound, marine life is plentiful and visibility up to 100 feet can be enjoyed.

The place referred to as "Orkney" by natives is an archipelago of about 70 islands, 20 of which are inhabited by humans. Seals, over 300 bird species and other wildlife claim the majority of Orkney's islands as theirs exclusively. Historic, accessible monuments dating back 6,000 years chronicle man's habitation of the Orkney Islands. Although many visitors come to this starkly beautiful and wind-swept place to view the plentiful wildlife and historic monuments, most divers are initially attracted by the remains of the Kaiser's High Seas Fleet.

The size and profiles of the Fleet wrecks makes an immediate impression on the diver. Each of the wrecks can be dived within accepted U.S. and British Recreational depth limits. Nowhere else is there such a proliferation of easily assessable warships within recreational depths available to the diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom