Yet another ingenious UW breathing device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The people from spare air are complaining about being copied in the comments on the linked page.
"... and simply copied it and changed the name. His claims of 10 minutes are a complete lie. He should be stopped before he kills someone!..."
Sympathies to the company having their product copied. It's a tough fact of international markets that such copies could ruin you or your reputation or both. If the original company does not have the funds to stop the copy (not really doable if patents don't exist or ran out) or false advertising, not even just within the US, then who will. Most everybody else won't have a financial interest to.
If you spend the money, time and effort necessary to try stop the company selling it in the US (no guarantees that would succeed), nothing has stopped the makers yet at all. Another seller or same seller, new name...) could just pop up. Or sell from a jurisdiction where stopping it is not even realistic at all. Market realities are harsh that way. Even with patent protection it is quite hard and requires very deep pockets (and large expenses may likely not be regained from small competitors at all). Once products loose patent protection and are simple enough to copy and someone sees the marketplace as inviting enough to do so... all bets are off. Branding and reputation and customer service reputation may help... but... - tough...

So if I buy 4 of them I can go down to 120' for 40 minutes!!! :yeahbaby:

His claims of 10 minutes are a complete lie. He should be stopped before he kills someone!
Spare Air has saved thousands of lives when properly used by trained divers...
It's a blatant ripoff with a hand pump - but I wonder if Submersible Systems could prove their own claim...

It's a blatant ripoff with a hand pump - but I wonder if Submersible Systems could prove their own claim...

:rofl3: If I'm not mistaken they've been around since the 80's... E.g. BSAC lists fatalities at avg. ~10/year, say if ten times as many close calls were averted by Spare Air, it "only" took a decade to get the number of properly trained divers who needed their life saved on a dive into thousands. So it's... possible.

It's only a tiny cylinder with an integrated regulator. If I took a suit inflation bottle on with a first stage and a reg directly attached it would be similar.

It's like someone claiming to own the right to bcd's or even regulators... I can't see whats so unique about the product personally.

It's only a tiny cylinder with an integrated regulator. If I took a suit inflation bottle on with a first stage and a reg directly attached it would be similar.

It's like someone claiming to own the right to bcd's or even regulators... I can't see whats so unique about the product personally.
These days it is likley not unique. But if someone rips your product off such that it looks just like yours and sells it with unreasonable claims, not only do you loose sales to the competitor, but your reputation is at risk of going down the drain because of the other companies claims too.

Last edited:
The combination of an integrated regulator, fitted with a conventional mouthpiece and a gauge, in specifically that arrangement, on a 3 cu.ft. yellow cylinder, is pretty recognizable.

It's functional too, unlike the Coca-Cola bottle, so SS wouldn't have a trademark claim. But something being legal to rip off doesn't make the copy any less of a ripoff.

Seen a fella on YouTube make a home made one out of a couple of plastic bottles and a length of pipe. He has posted a video of him making it and diving it. Was interesting to watch but looked dangerous. This was a couple of years ago so hardly a new idea. The same guy made his own diving bell out of some metal hoops and plastic sheeting. He filled the bell from the surface with a bike pump if I recall correctly. The video shows him in it having a chat to camera at depth. Interesting guy. But looks like he has had his ideas robbed. Rulof maker is the guy I think.

Last edited:
In fairness you can buy pretty much any scuba equipment with no training. Including rebreathers. Gas supply companies will happily sell you o2 and He as well if you want to buy it in J's with no cards.

I think people get too excited about lawsuits. Are Scubapro at risk of a lawsuit if they sell my a bcd and some regs and I kill myself? As long as the equipment works as it should I can't see it being an issue.

I think in this case, he's advertising it as a way to extend breath-hold diving. He's been flogging this around other forums, including Reddit Scuba - What do you think of this? Looks fun. Any big problems with it? • r/scuba.

Key quote here would be: "Spearfishing enthusiasts as well as freedivers will be able to use the Scorkl intermittently (i.e. a breath only when called for) during a whole dive trip". Which, as I understand it, is bad mojo. Plus he's just wrong about the time it will last under water.

Just another way to add Chlorine to the shallow end of the gene pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom