Yet another ingenious UW breathing device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selling a compressed air device to folks who haven't got a clue about Boyle's law and gas embolisms? What can possibly go wrong?

How to Use Your Diving Lung.jpg

Here's everything you need to know :)

This is from the July 1953 Popular Science. This one did not come with a hand pump.

Popular Science Archive

I especially liked the people holding their breath in the video.

I particularly loved the resurface, refill and dive again with no mention of DCS, ascent rates, exertion etc. What's the worst that could happen???

Nominations for Darwin Awards should come free with the device.

Selling a compressed air device to folks who haven't got a clue about Boyle's law and gas embolisms? What can possibly go wrong?
I don't think that many instructors will buy them

View attachment 413156

Here's everything you need to know :)

This is from the July 1953 Popular Science. This one did not come with a hand pump.

Popular Science Archive

A similar pamphlet was included in the scuba kit ( tank, reg, Mae West (with co2 detonator), surface pressure gauge) that Sears sold in '62. I was fortunate that my father picked up a copy of The New Science of SCUBA and Skin Diving and made sure I understood it before I started diving.

Fills were done by a compressed gas vender in our area to anyone, including a 16 year old kid, who had the money for the service.

Of course, back then, everyone knew that SCUBA diving was dangerous.

Bob

The people from spare air are complaining about being copied in the comments on the linked page.
David Hallamore bought this device from us, i.e Submersible systems about a year ago and simply copied it and changed the name. His claims of 10 minutes are a complete lie. He should be stopped before he kills someone!
Spare Air has saved thousands of lives when properly used by trained divers, it would be a shame if he contaminates a great product with this Chinese rip off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom