Yet another ingenious UW breathing device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Scorkl missed the boat on this deal. The dudes selling the concept on Indegogo already have over $150,000 dollars.

He's going to have to sell a lot of Scorkls to catch up.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/minidive-mini-scuba-tank-refilled-by-the-user#/

I did a little snooping around and there are hand pumps that can achieve scuba pressures with a healthy behemoth pumping on it hard enough. However given the small volumes they generate, I'm still dubious that it could be a practical means of pressurizing even a small tank.

At least the Scorkl looks like it could work. The Mini Dive system as pictured has air fittings plumbed into it that look like low pressure shop air fittings.

Except for the hand pump, there is no part of this system that I can't scrounge up from my scuba junkpile. The problem will be reaching a retail price that the non-diving public will go for.

The second problem will be untrained divers embolising themselves.
...actually... maybe that should be the first problem.

I could see either one as a useful tool on a boat where you might have to go under to clear a line from your prop. But a 30cf pony with a harness would give me more peace of mind.

Used "properly", yeah it could be fun. But I expect the odds of the general public doing so will be less than 50 percent (I picked that number out of thin air). Kids will go to 20, then 30. So if running short doesn't get them, the rocket-launch ascent could.

I wonder who is going to write insurance coverage for these companies...

very interesting......could be closer than the flying car???

It looks exactly like a spare air, except it also comes with a manual HP pump.
If somebody wanted to use a spare air or such to quickly check a boat prop or so, why not... going deep - of course not...
Curious how "the creator" evaluated that pump will deliver breathable air w/o particles and humidity ... seem to miss seeing filters etc... tank size aside, pumping humid air up to 300 PSI and putting it in a can that way... seems a bit like asking for trouble over time...
Maybe there is appropriate filtration, and dehumidification, but the text does not allude to it...

you-gonna-die-ilvnxq.jpg

It looks exactly like a spare air

Definitely looks like a Spare Air with the decals swapped.

In fact, I'd bet money that every part in that package is rebranded from something else readily available, except for the foam inside the Pelican case.

A real joke of a "product".

Selling a compressed air device to folks who haven't got a clue about Boyle's law and gas embolisms? What can possibly go wrong?

Back
Top Bottom