Yikes! Carry on Police!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish the would stop jerking everyone around with the dam luggage, soda, carryons, and just raise the ticket price. It is what it is, they think we are to stupid to add up all there extra charges. In reality there just pissing everyone off.

Definitely agree with you there. Had on the news the other day that some airlines are now charging for water.

This is becoming a real big fat ugly issue, especially for people like me, who
a) don't have spouses to share luggage with
and b) try to combine traveling with diving and uw photography

I just returned from a trip to North Carolina, and on the way there the plane was so crowded that they didn't let me carry on my camera and uw photo gear. Before I realized what was going on, a guy had sent it down the chute to the checked baggage. When I protested, all I got was a sheepish look and a comment, "We have to go." This was with US Airways, by the way. Needless to say, I won't fly with those guys anymore. For future trips, I will seriously consider shipping my gear ahead of time. With the new baggage fees, mailing a pelican case for $50 bucks is money better spent in my opinion.

Just FYI, I can't "share space with my spouse"
My wife has just as much gear as I do, we pack out own stuff in our own bags.

When I fly on a CRJ I assyemble my housing without orings and then carry on my rig, then make them check the empty bag. I still only have "one bag and one personal item". They gave me a hassel one time, when I told them to put in writting that they will cover any damage to my roughly $5,000 in camera gear they shut up.

I was reading about the charge for water thing the other day...man if it goes through I suspect we will see lawsuits. Not only can you not bring your own bottled water, now they won't give it to you? yeah somebody won't let that fly. As for me. I have learned that without scuba gear I can pack for 1-2 weeks with just a roller that fits the airlines published max dimensions for carry-ons ( I say published b/c some of those if it doesn't fit in this box you can't fly contraptions are not properly sized ), but honestly something is going to give and customers are going to just stop flying and the airlines will all die.

Don't know exactly what is up with the airlines; but what they are doing sure raises suspicions that there is more to the pricing structure than just compensating for increased fuel costs.

Every industry with which I do business has either absorbed, for now, the increased costs, or has added a fuel charge, or has increased prices. But, not the airlines.

So, what are the obvious immediate results of reducing service? Less baggage means less staff which means less employees to care for and more profit. The diminshed service acts as a price increase that is poorly handled by CPI formulas and therefore keeps down CPI price increases on products and services they buy. The baggage issue is just another step in airline testing just what the limits of customer tolerance are. So far tolerance testing has shown that customers will scream but not stop paying. In fact they will be very submissive after a brief period of vocalization.

I'd say the airlines have read the market pretty well. They have reduced service, increased prices, enhanced profit margin and managed to get the passengers' unhappiness focused on each other rather than on the companies that created the problem.

I wish the would stop jerking everyone around with the dam luggage, soda, carryons, and just raise the ticket price. It is what it is, they think we are to stupid to add up all there extra charges. In reality there just pissing everyone off.

Here is how it will work. They institute these baggage and other fees now. Then, in about 6 - 9 months, say that they have to raise fares. Now, we are used to the other fees, they keep those AND raise fares.

Make no mistake, they will raise fares. But the other fees will stay, too.

I heard they will charge for windows and aisle seats...

Suddenly the mileage rewards have gotten way tighter. I was told I could no longer upgrade with any amount of mileage because now you must buy a full fare ticket to upgrade. (who does that?)

Time to switch to cash back only cards.

Northwest and Continental announced cutting service (Oakland, Sarasota...more)

I heard they will charge for windows and aisle seats...

Suddenly the mileage rewards have gotten way tighter. I was told I could no longer upgrade with any amount of mileage because now you must buy a full fare ticket to upgrade. (who does that?)

Time to switch to cash back only cards.

Northwest and Continental announced cutting service (Oakland, Sarasota...more)

yeah no kidding. and miles aren't worth what they used to be either. I used to be able to sell my miles for 1.6c each. now I've got half a million and can't find a buyer.

Flew on Sprit Airlines 3 weeks ago and had to pay for beverages and snacks, including water and coffee. Also, I believe every space in the overhead bins was taken. A lot of shuffling went on to accomodate all the carry on bags. I believe Spirit Air was one of the first ones to start charging for first checked bag. If you purchase on-line prior to flight cost is $10.00 for first bag. If you wait until you get to counter it is $20.00.

Back
Top Bottom