Yoke Or Din

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hang on i think i haver the 2 confused again

Marcs:
Just ordering some REGS that i will be using in the uk and abroad however what first stage should i be getting?
My vote is for the DIN. It's the best connection period. But, some places are not set up for it, though it's getting better. Get the adapter, and you are set. The only problem is some adapters are quite long and tend to make the reg hit the back of your head. Any adapter will work. The poseidon adapter is relatively short, and the Atomic is really long. Of course using it in the DIN only fashion positions the reg way back off of your head.
Bill

If you're in the UK, DIN. No contest

Get an A-clamp adaptor for when you visit the few countries that still use the old system for about £10.

DIN is more secure, will run up to 300 bar and smaller. You'll find everywhere in the UK caters for DIN (usually with removable inserts in tanks) and if you ever upgrade to twin sets and so on its already there for you.

If you're diving in the UK remember you'll need a cold water certified set of regs. Most people use environmentally sealed. Id recommend the Apeks DST or DS4 first stage (with the ATX40 or 50 second stages).

bubblemonkey:
YOKE YOKE YOKE YOKE, TBF it all depends where he is gonna be diving right, DIN wouldnt be alot of good in Malaysia or Thailand.

and skippy care to back that rash statement up with some facts????

He says he wants to dive in the UK. So DIN.
He says he wants to dive abroad. Most places supply DIN.
For the few that dont offer a DIN tank, a £10 adaptor will enable him to convert. This allows the extra safety and convenience of DIN in the vast majority of places that offer AND the ability to use an A-clamp conector in the few that dont. In other words, it covers both options. Remember DIN can be adapted to A-clamp. The opposite is NOT true.

Your dive history appears to be incredibly limited and stuck to a few far east countries and none even in your own so your advice is suspect and off the mark. In fact, in the post a few days ago (20-1-2006) you didnt even know the difference between the two and had to ask. That hardly makes the advice an authority....

As for the facts, DIN is more secure - yes. It screws up (7 thread) and is rated to over 300 bar whereas A-clamp is rated to 232 (and has cracked/broken above 260). You can give an A-clamp a bang and dislogde the first stage from the tank. This isnt a good idea underwater when relying on it. A-clamp has an external o-ring that can and does fail whereas DIN has a captured O-ring so even a failiure doesnt result in a catastrophic loss of gas.
The size and shape of A-clamp means its far more prone to getting tangled in line. DIN is far more slimline.

Many other reasons too.

hey i am in the uk and i agree with every thing u have said i use din and do not like the a clamp as it is a weaker connection as u pointed out

I would buy the Din and use a Yoke adapter.......

Cheer
Jason

Marcs:
Just ordering some REGS that i will be using in the uk and abroad however what first stage should i be getting?

Yoke all the way... I've seen too many adapters cause problems. Kind of like anything else in life. Things with adapters have more problems than things that are one solid unit.

ghostdiver1957:
Yoke all the way... I've seen too many adapters cause problems. Kind of like anything else in life. Things with adapters have more problems than things that are one solid unit.

Makes no sense, have you ever even seen a DIN <> A-clamp adaptor? It has DIN screw threads on an A-clamp. It has nothing to fail. It has no more that can fail than the existing A-clamp. A very simple piece of engineering.

Even if there was no adaptor id still say DIN - its used it far more places around the world than the A-clamp style.

String:
Makes no sense, have you ever even seen a DIN <> A-clamp adaptor? It has DIN screw threads on an A-clamp. It has nothing to fail. It has no more that can fail than the existing A-clamp. A very simple piece of engineering.

Even if there was no adaptor id still say DIN - its used it far more places around the world than the A-clamp style.

String... I've absolutely seen one... that's how I know they fail. The most common failure is caused by the gyrations in the screw threads getting worn down or damaged. The most recent event I saw was a guy who came into the shop with an adapter where the threads somehow had a gash (almost like someone took a sharp blade) all the way through them. When asked what in the world happened, the guy said he didn't know. Last time he dove it worked fine. When he put it back on the past weekend, it kept leaking. He took it apart and say the gash. He could not explain how it happened. We theorized that maybe something in his dive bag somehow got wedged in there are did it, but he swore there was nothing in the bag that could have done it. The only other logical theory was that it occurred on it's own. Later I did come up with the idea that perhaps someone was trying to kill him... but we dismissed the theory as paranoia.

We also had a similar problem with an adapter shipped from the manufacturer, where a slight nick in the threads caused a tight leak - which led to a pressure build up and the adapter actually shooting off...

Believe what you want... but having seen the problems, I stand behind what I say, unless you're diving a HP tank. K Valves are only rated to 3000 PSI. The new HP tanks should always be used with DIN... accoring to the MF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom