You have the wrong gear for this class!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randytay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Today I went out to assist NAUI instructor to do checkout dives for 2 students as an extra pair of eyes. He knows I am a DIR practitioner but after the first dive, he pulled me aside and told me I have the wrong equipment for the class.

He says I brought a "tech rig" to an open water class and it was not appropriate and that he has to explain to his students the "difference" between my gear and theirs.

Ok, I am not trying to convert people to HOG setup but personally I think it is time to educate people that a bp/w with long primary and necklace does not mean it is tech. Anyone has any ideas on how on do that? And whats wrong with explaining a new setup to new students anyway?

Not going out with him again is not an option. Lets just say that now as long as his shop is open, I get free air fills for life, besides other privileges.

His request is not unreasonable. His class, his shop = his rules. Prior to you showing up at the dive site, it would have been best for him to discuss what gear he expects you to be using.

I do think that, as long as the basic OW students aren't confused by the hogarthian setup (and they shouldn't be), it can be a useful learning experience to introduce them to different kinds of rigs they might encounter after OW certification. Who knows? Someday they might be called upon to assist a diver who happens to be using a hog setup.

One consideration that the instructor/owner might not have articulated (but was thinking about) is that he'd like instructional staff representing his shop to be using gear that his shop sells. It's a powerful form of advertisement. That's a fairly commonplace practice with dive shops here in SoCal.

At some point in the future, on a day when you guys are doing fun recreational dives, you might want to offer to let the instructor/owner test-dive your gear. He might like it, and the experience might change his approach to your gear requirements while helping out with his classes.
Spreading the gospel of new foundness usually works better
if you knock on the doors of the people that invited you over
Well said, knowone.

As you spread your gospel of newfoundness it will probably work much better
if you knock only on the doors of those that have invited you into their home

However I do have some paraphernalia I have been designing for such event

How's this...

Is this you?

Would you prefer this?

Is that guy like 4'11"?

My post was lost and now it is found. What is happening to me or has it already happened :D:confused::blinking::shakehead::crafty::depressed::):no::(:shocked2:,:idk:and halemanos sig

Now that's a tank

Spreading the gospel of new foundness usually works better
if you knock on the doors of the people that invited you over

Ok, so I was singled out because of the very common misconception that BP/W with long hose is a tech rig and as such am trying to correct the misconception and I am accused of spreading gospel of new foundness?

I dont care if people around do not use the HOG setup, I just want people to stop thinking I am having a tech rig just cos I am diving bp.w and long hose.

His request is not unreasonable. His class, his shop = his rules. Prior to you showing up at the dive site, it would have been best for him to discuss what gear he expects you to be using.

I do think that, as long as the basic OW students aren't confused by the hogarthian setup (and they shouldn't be), it can be a useful learning experience to introduce them to different kinds of rigs they might encounter after OW certification. Who knows? Someday they might be called upon to assist a diver who happens to be using a hog setup.

One consideration that the instructor/owner might not have articulated (but was thinking about) is that he'd like instructional staff representing his shop to be using gear that his shop sells. It's a powerful form of advertisement. That's a fairly commonplace practice with dive shops here in SoCal.

At some point in the future, on a day when you guys are doing fun recreational dives, you might want to offer to let the instructor/owner test-dive your gear. He might like it, and the experience might change his approach to your gear requirements while helping out with his classes.

Well said, knowone.

I totally agree that its his shop, his class, his rule. But here's where I do not agree:

1. He knows I only dive Hog rigs.

2. He thinks its tech rig.

As you spread your gospel of newfoundness it will probably work much better
if you knock only on the doors of those that have invited you into their home

However I do have some paraphernalia I have been designing for such event

How's this...

Is this you?

Would you prefer this?

Good try, now get the guy on the bottom to turn around so we can what he has clipped on his BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom