You have the wrong gear for this class!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several issues here I'll address. I ran into a similar situation teaching my last UW Nav class. I was in BPW, long hose and my students were in their Zeagle Express techs. One diving long hose and the other a conventional set up. There was another OW class being taught at the quarry. They do all their confined ans open water work in it as they have no pool. The instructor works for the owner of the quarry. I was politely pulled aside and told that I could not teach classes there while the other instructor was teaching as it confuses his students. They get certed in 4 days. classroom -some confined water work, classroom, another session on scuba where he goes over all the skills for first two days. Next weekend is classroom, final confined water of about an hour, then 2 dives in the after noon and 2 dives on Sunday and they are divers. They cannot swim without really messing up the bottom, one or two usually bolt during checkouts because they got lost from the group, and I was told by two people who took the class that they were going to get what they needed to dive with a group and that diving on their own would come with time.

What was confusing them was seeing how much time I was spending with my students and focusing on buoyancy, trim, and the gear we were using. The instructor was being asked questions he could not answer. OK. Why can't he answer them? I did not say that but agreed to keep any instruction I'm doing more low key and keep discussions away from his groups. We can go up there and dive any time. Just not look like I'm doing a class when he is. I started to get a little perturbed but kept my cool. Then I remembered he had another quarry across the road from this one that cannot be seen. I asked about using that one. He got all smiley and very nice and began to explain it to me. No boats sunk in it, no docks, just a gradual slope entry from the old road. 1/2 is shallow and 1/2 is deeper. We have to load tanks into a vehicle for fills because it's a 300 yd walk instead of 50 to the shop. Can I put temporary lines in for a weekend that I'd remove when I was done on Sunday? Sure no problem. So now what I have is a quarry that is 300 yds from the shop, no one but me using it, I can put lines in for my classes, and I'm not confusing his students! How friggin cool is that!!

Because he still gets the $5 a head from all the people I bring up, air fill income and tank rentals, wetsuit and other gear rentals, and the chance to sell something to them. The lesson is you need to find ways to work around things so that you don;t piss people off and not compromise your values.

With the instructor you are talking about I have to ask why you would want to train under him as someone else said. He is closed minded, uninformed, and not willing to expand his knowledge base. That is just sad. However if you choose to work with him you need to play by his rules.

You may not like this next line but what you are projecting with your I only dive DIR or Hogarthian attitude is the thing that turns many people off. I teach in BPW, Jacket, Back inflate, etc. A professional should be able to take ANY gear and make it look like it was made for them.

When I did the UW Nav class the first day I screwed up and in packing the truck I was distracted because I had a new student here and guess what I forgot? My BPW. I had no BC with me. I had to go up to the shop and borrow a ScubaPro poodle jacket with an AIR II and use it with my drysuit. I had never that particular model of BC before and I detest the AIR II. It felt like an elephants trunk hanging off of me. I went back thru my log book and found where I had last used a jacket BC with a different drysuit and undergarments and got a starting point for my weights. Loaded the BC about 4 lbs heavy and jumped in the water. It was close enough and within a few minutes was in trim and used to the BC. I have made a point of using as many different BC's and regs as I could. I've used ones that were way to small and ones that were two to three sizes too big. And I can dive them all and make it look easy. If you are subscribing to the PRINCIPLES of DIR or Hogarthian diving you should be able to do the same.

It is not about the gear. It is about control and mindset. I'd bet some one like Bob Sherwood or Andrew G could take two Clorox bottles for a BC, walmart snorkeling fins, with a reg cobbled together from 3 different sources and make it look good. I'm not there yet but working on it. Before this summer is out I'm going to be in a back pack with no BC and if possible a double hose reg just to see if I can and if I can I may do a workshop or two in them.

Now teaching in a BPW is fine I do it. I put my students in them. I also use jacket for a session or two as do they. Teach them how to dive without an attitude. DIR/Hogarthian is fine for some. For others maybe not. My boss and his wife are in their 60's. They are more comfortable in their jackets. Great. When you become an instructor if you want to do justice by your students remember that it really is not about you or your beliefs. It is about what is best for your students. You need to be able to put your biases aside and figure out what is best for them based on their needs and interests. Otherwise you are not doing them any favors.

If you can't do that stop the DM class right now. Get with GUE or UTD and go that route. Everyone will be happier in the end.

Now as to mark ups on gear. The margins are not that different. Really. Depends on the shop or dealer and what they need to make and what the mfg will allow. Some mfg don;t care how much you mark something up if the customer will pay it. Get the right demographic that has more money than sense and you can sell em crap for premium prices. They do have MAP agreements as well to keep things even but may not care how little profit the dealer makes on gear that he or she already bought. That's why it pays to shop around and ask for deals. You never know what you may get.

@NorCalDM no it's not the same. I'm adamant about teaching in bp/w and long hose, not insist they be taught in the same configuration. I will show them and explain a conventional bcd with all it's bells and whistles and a bp/w. The students make their decision and I go from there.

Randy -- how many times are you going to ask the same question -- and then NOT be satisfied with the same answers?

Some time ago I started a thread about how my DM Instructor had no issues with me as a DMC using my Hog rig but then, after I became a DM, he told me I couldn't dive "my gear" but instead had to dive with "recreational" gear. I had choices -- continue to dive with him or not -- OR convince him to let me dive with my gear. I started by diving with my "recreational gear" and then, after one or two times, he backed off -- especially when I pointed out that NONE of the staff was diving any gear that was close to what we all dove in the pool. (In fact, my gear was probably closer to my pool gear than anyone elses -- since the standard was to do the OW dives with a pony.)My

My LDS owner has referred to the Hog rig as "Tec Sh$t" in the past but not in some time -- perhaps because he's discovered I'm actually valuable to him. So, perhaps your "Key To Freedom" is to make sure the LDS understands your value -- then a lot can be forgiven.

What is most important is looking at the situation from the students point of view.

Randy...my one advise...(maybe two of three lol) would be not to become like him but at the opposite end of the line. You seem to criticize his narrowed vision of only wanting to use ''traditional'' rec diving equipement when you seem to exhibit similar traits toward HOG/DIR set-up. While you may not like his philosophy, when you go to Rome you should do like Romans. As others have said (whether you like it or not), his shop...his rules. If he wants his DM/apprentice DM to be using traditional equipment to assist him doing demo and training students then I think it is appropriate that the DM dress like everybody else as to simplify the exercises and drills of the very basic OW course that are already quite challenging for some individuals to start with.

I applaude Peter/Lyne (Sorry if I mispelled), Jim and others for wanting to familiarize and teach their students beyond the minimum standards of the various agencies they represent out there. I guess it is a matter of time and place. I am thankful that my instructor let me use a backplate but traditional reg assembly as I went through my DM course. To me, the BC is not really the important factor here...a weight belt, inflate valve and dump valves are standard pieces of equipment on most if not all buoyancy devices. The reg might be a different story as in order to keep things simple and stupid (KISS) so I could understand his preference for a standard set-up consisting of a primary normally used by the diver, a bright yellow octo placed in the tradition/standard triangle position , etc to facilitate OOA drills, etc. If I ever decide to become an instructor then in all likelihood I would do like some of the folks here on SB...

Now, between you and me, it is a very small price to pay if you are getting some perks out of that relationship as long as you can live with it. If it becomes a burden then you might as well look somewhere else to finish that certification of yours. One of the many things I have learned through life is that all experiences are good, but not necessarily pleasant, as long as you learn something out of them...either positive or negative. It then behooves you to only emulate the good ones and stay away from those that you considered bad or unpleasant... Happy and safe diving.

Wow!
I am really surprised to hear that there is so much negativity out there with some people regarding BPW's. I just never experienced it locally.

Based on some of the posts I've read in other threads, I always assumed it was the BPW folks that drank the "haterade".

As for the OP; It was instructor's class, shop and show. Too bad he did not discuss the equipment before hand.

I'd bet some one like Bob Sherwood or Andrew G could take two Clorox bottles for a BC, walmart snorkeling fins, with a reg cobbled together from 3 different sources and make it look good.

This made me smile. When we were in the Red Sea with AG, he jumped into the water for one dive with two AL80's hip-clipped, and wearing a light wetsuit and what looked like freediving fins. On the way down, he found out the kid on the RIB had failed to attach a float to the rope, so he coiled up about 100 feet of heavy blue line and had that hanging off his left elbow. When I looked up and saw him, he was hanging in the water, nearly vertical, with the bottles floating up behind him and this bit wad of line stuck to his arm -- but he was completely at ease and totally relaxed. He was doing exactly what he needed to do at that moment, on that dive.

Randy, would you feel better about your instructor's objections if he objected to your equipment because the shop doesn't sell it, or because it's different from the students', rather than objecting to it as "tech" gear? Does the reason why he doesn't like it really matter? Yes, it would be nice to be successful in educating him that this gear works just fine for recreational diving, but you're not going to do it by getting fussed or sullen, or getting in his face about it. If he's at all receptive, you can go for recreational dives with him and SHOW him. If he isn't receptive, pushing at him is not going to make him like the gear or the people who dive it any better than he does now.

There are all kinds of compromises one has to make in life. This is a small one. I get much more exercised over things like teaching on the knees, which is why I'm not an instructor, and don't work with very many.

I ran into the same situation with the dive shop that i was working for. I was in the very same boat...hating on the shop for not letting me use what I view to be a safer and more comfortable rig. But as said before, their shop, their rules. Especially if you're teaching PADI and the students have just finished watching that fun introductory video series and then see your long hose they're going to wonder what its purpose is. Don't take it personally if the instructor called your rig tech because to someone who hasn't really done much looking to DIR/HOG diving, it will look like a technical setup. At least he didn't make fun of your gear. The owner of the diveshop that I worked for, in front of customers mind you, said that Apeks were "the worst diving regs in the world". It was comments like that that made me leave that shop, not the equipment. If I end up DM'ing again, I'll just ask for some gear from their rental fleet so that the students see me in something very similar to what they're using.

Typically my OW students are all in shop rental gear. It's nice to use the same gear that 90% of the students are using as it makes demonstrations easier. So, when I teach in the pool, I use my an octo set up pretty much identical to the shop gear, a back inflate BC that looks more or less just like the jacket BCs -- the important thing being the same number and location of fastners so demoing gear removal is showing the students what they need to do.

When I go to the OW dives, I dive my bp/w. But I know instructors who stay in shop gear in case they have to spend some remedial time with a student.

Ultimately being a gear snob -- be that adamant that BP/W is the way to go or adamant that bp/w has no place in recreational diving is simply ignorance. There are advantages to your instructor's choice to have (relatively) standardized gear for his students. You may not think those advantages are important. But you aren't the instructor, so really, who cares what you think?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you are messing up your priorities. Instead of worrying about diving your favorite gear, you should be worrying about getting the most out of the instructional opportunities being presented to you, and giving as much as possible to the students you are assisting. What gear you're using shouldn't be anywhere near the top of your main concerns while DM'ing a class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom