Your computer --- a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am rather strongly ambivalent about computers. On one hand I love them, but I don't use them on working dives ... I use tables. I have a what amounts to a museum of dive computers including Cyberdiver (remember the "thump" switch .. the best diver interface ever!), Orca (all three), Suunto, Dacor, various Pelagic models (USD and Oceanic), Cochran, SeaQuest, Mares, Tusa and Uwatech. When I do dive a computer I tend to use a MARE Genius (if I want hoseless) or one of my old Orcas (I am especially fond of the Phoenix). I'm am planning on getting an ATOM 2.0, and I'd already have a Datamask if it read more than one sender, when Oceanic fixes that I'll get one in a flash.

As far as recommendations go ... I've yet to use a computer that I thought was "bad." They all do much the same thing, each just does it a little differently. My advise to most new divers is to get a basic computer that works off eBay (often for $50 to $100) and then buy a "dream" computer after they have all the rest of their gear (the later you buy that puppy the better the technology will be).

My major complaint about all air integrated computers is that they do not "ramp off" to zero (or I could accept 200psi). All that I've looked at calculate their "tank empty" point at about 500 psi.

My dream computer would be a multi-gas, multi-sensor, hoseless air integrated computer that would permit downloading alternate models and parameters, such as depth dependent ascent rate warnings, "rule of thirds" warnings, gas switch warnings and regulator exchange warnings for diving independent doubles (remember multiple sensors).

What dive computer do you use?
1) Oceanic Pro Plus 2 console with compass
2) Aeris atmos 2

Is it an air-integrated model? Transmitter or hose?
1) Yes, on a hose
2) No, wrist mount

Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
1) Yes. Easy to read, liberal algorithm, programs easy, downloads easy, does nitrox.
2) Yes. Same as Pro Plus 2 but not air integrated. Same cable used to download, does nitrox.

If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
1) Heads up display. Seems ideal
2) ditto .. except maybe I could get 10 of these for one of those.

What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
1) Best for reading UW. Programs easy. Air integrated so let's me know dive time based on usage. It starts safety stop countdown automagically.
2) wrist mounted & price was right for a nitrox one. (old model flush at Scuba Toys)

The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
1) price is a bit high. Other than that . nothing.
2) Can't think of anything.

The best feature of the model you use?
1) Big letters, nice algorithm. Dive time remaining.
2) Wrist is more convenient for checking depth. Except for air is identical to Proplus2.

What dive computer do you use? I use a Suunto Gekko, Mark uses a Suunto Vyper.

Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? Hose only.

Would you recommend it? Why/why not? As for the Gekko - I would recommend it for someone who wants something simple, relatively conservative, easy to read and for someone who doesn't do alot of night diving as it is not back lit - you have to manually "radiate" the dial. The Vyper is a set up, back lit and has download capacity onto your computer.

If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?I probably would have spent more money and gotten something different. At the time, we were buying two sets of gear (2 BCs with Air2, 2 regs, one computer, two compasses, etc). It was getting expensive and the computer was less of an issue. I would actually like something either that is quick connect (detachable from the hose on the surface), or optimally, a wrist-mounted with air integration. I would prefer not to have to hold my computer in my hand while doing ascents.

What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? Cost, ease of use. Not knowing exactly how much local diving I would be doing. Ended up being much more than I had thought I'd be doing, so .......... oh well!

The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? Hose mounteded, not air integrated. More dials and a less-informed sense of the amount of air that I've got in my tank. But that's really not to big of a deal. As mentioned above, the fact that there is no backlighting on the computer so for night dives, I have to manually illuminate it with my primary.

The best feature of the model you use? I love its ease. For a basic computer, its great. I just think I might have outgrown it rather quickly, but its fine. I love it still and won't make a change until it worn out! :D

[PS: Great thread! I have really enjoyed reading all the ideas, etc - very helpful!]

My major complaint about all air integrated computers is that they do not "ramp off" to zero (or I could accept 200psi). All that I've looked at calculate their "tank empty" point at about 500 psi.

I'm not absolutely sure about this, so don't quote me ... but I seem to remember my LDS saying that although the 500 psi is standard, you could override it on (and again, don't quote me, because I'm not sure of this) the Oceanic Pro Plus II.

1.What dive computer do you use? A 1999 Uwatec Aladin Pro

2. Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? Huh?

3.Would you recommend it? Why/why not? I don't think they make them anymore. My son got the new Uwatec last year and it looks a lot smaller.

4.If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why? I don't know that much about other computers except that some can have the battery changed without sending it off to Hong Kong...a pia.

5. What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? I don't remember.

6.The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? none that I can think of except changing the battery.

7.The best feature of the model you use? It always seemd to work and I haven't been bent.

I'm not absolutely sure about this, so don't quote me ... but I seem to remember my LDS saying that although the 500 psi is standard, you could override it on (and again, don't quote me, because I'm not sure of this) the Oceanic Pro Plus II.
The Oceanic Pro Plus II has a factory default of 5 minutes for the alarm. That can be reset. What I'm talking about is the what tank pressure the computer assumes is an empty tank when it calculates air consumption. (I'm not sure, the Oceanic Pro Plus II may use a lower figure).

The Oceanic Pro Plus II has a factory default of 5 minutes for the alarm. That can be reset. What I'm talking about is the what tank pressure the computer assumes is an empty tank when it calculates air consumption. (I'm not sure, the Oceanic Pro Plus II may use a lower figure).

Yes, I understand what you're talking about, and like I said, I'm pretty sure I was told that it can be manually reset (the "empty" tank, that is)

Yes, I understand what you're talking about, and like I said, I'm pretty sure I was told that it can be manually reset (the "empty" tank, that is)
Can't find it: manual.

Back
Top Bottom