Your computer --- a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What dive computer do you use? Galileo Sol- Wrist mounted computer

Is it an air-intergrated model? Air Integrated
Transmitter or hose? Transmitter, up to four with different gasses
Would you recommend it? Yes
Why/why not? Works great for me: no problems. Large fonts, simple maps, messages, great digital compass, SmartTrak software with infra-red interface (ie no cable for download), user replaceable battery. Great for underwater photographers.

If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why? I used others and switched to Galileo. Buggy software, wrist mount much better for me as a photographer.
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? Nothing comparable.
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? Price.
The best feature of the model you use? Ease of use.

ProductImages.aspx

JT Divers recently started a thread regarding wrist computers that are air integrated. That got me to thinking that it would be interesting to get the ScubaBoard users thoughts on all the different computers out there (wrist models, hose models, even the new data masks), by taking a survey on which computers they have/use or would like to get. So, if you’re interest, answer a few questions.

What dive computer do you use?
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose?
Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
The best feature of the model you use?

Can’t wait to see what the responses are going to be! :blinking:
Until last month I was still using dive tables. I just bought a Sherwood Wisdom 2.

It is air-integrated on the hose.
Not sure if I'd recommend it yet. It has audible alarms but they are hard to hear. It has a REALLY large display, which is good. It is very conservative. If you like being conservative this is a good thing (I like it) but you might find it telling you times up (nitrogen loaded) before your buddies.
I was looking at the IQ800. I like the fact it vibrates for the alarm. But it is REALLY expensive.
This computer was part of a package. The price was really good.
Biggest draw back is I'm usually first person on the surface and I cannot hear the alarms.
The best feature is how easy it is to read.

The Oceanic Pro Plus II has a factory default of 5 minutes for the alarm. That can be reset. What I'm talking about is the what tank pressure the computer assumes is an empty tank when it calculates air consumption. (I'm not sure, the Oceanic Pro Plus II may use a lower figure).

Thalassamania, check your PM.

I've seen this mentioned several times. YOU CANNOT AIR INTEGRATE A VR3. It can be integrated for an oxygen sensor in a rebreather loop, but that's it.

So that wired high pressure link that screws into the hp port on your first stage and attaches to the VR3 and provides a tank pressure readout is not air integration? Check out the delta p website or diverite express.

I've seen this mentioned several times. YOU CANNOT AIR INTEGRATE A VR3. It can be integrated for an oxygen sensor in a rebreather loop, but that's it.

Wrong....go to their website....pull up the owner's manual and read (starts on page 101 of the 2007 manual and referred to as "high pressure cable link"). The VR3 can be air integrated. Granted...it is not wireless but it is fully featured insofar as integration goes if you choose to use the hardwire system they offer.

Yankeenica brings up a point that is very important to me a well. I have excelent distance vision, but my ability to focus in the range of 1-1.5 feet is problematic ,and can not be corrected by prescription. So large numbers on a digital dispay is important to me. Anyone have recommendations for large easy to read displays?

1. Dive Rite Nitek Duo
2. Not air integrated
3. Yup...I like it quite a bit. Easy to learn how to use.
4. The Galileo Sol....a bit out of my price range, though.
5. Wanted something that could do two different gas mixes, for when I eventually get into deco diving.
6. It's really easy to set off the ascent alarm!
7. Haven't really decided on a feature I like most...

Scubadiver888 brings up an interesting point about the relative conservatism of certain computers. One of the instructors on the boat that I dive with regularly told me that she got a new computer the other week, and two thirds of the way through a routine dive (1st of a two tank dive that all dive instructors do 5 out of the 7 days in a week in the British Virgin Islands) it was telling her to make an immediate ascent and do emergency decompression. So she went home and chucked it in the bin (so she said - more likely she sold it on eBay).

Is there any published data on which dive computers take more and less conservative approaches to the nitrogen absorbtion algorythms?

Yankeenica brings up a point that is very important to me a well. I have excelent distance vision, but my ability to focus in the range of 1-1.5 feet is problematic ,and can not be corrected by prescription. So large numbers on a digital dispay is important to me. Anyone have recommendations for large easy to read displays?
Have a look at the Sherwood Wisdom 2. It has a fairly large display.

Additionally, the ScubaLab in ScubaDiving.com talks about readability of the display whenever they review computers. You can find some archived information on the website. If you are looking for current reviews they publish the Rodale's Scuba Diving magazine in north america.

Primary is a Suunto Vytec, backup is a D6
Both are air integrated (generally use one transmitter)
would recommend either/both, but have more experience with the vytec
choose these due to local recommendations
nitrox multi gas computer acceptable in many weird locations (bikini for instance), user accessible batteries.

I got the vytec first and have used it for many dives. Went or a trip recently where a failed computer meant a missed day, and the rest of the trip on RDT. Got the D6 as backup. May make it primary after more dives.

Back
Top Bottom