Your computer --- a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadiver888 brings up an interesting point about the relative conservatism of certain computers. One of the instructors on the boat that I dive with regularly told me that she got a new computer the other week, and two thirds of the way through a routine dive (1st of a two tank dive that all dive instructors do 5 out of the 7 days in a week in the British Virgin Islands) it was telling her to make an immediate ascent and do emergency decompression. So she went home and chucked it in the bin (so she said - more likely she sold it on eBay).

Is there any published data on which dive computers take more and less conservative approaches to the nitrogen absorbtion algorythms?

scubadiving.com has reviews of specific computers. They talk about the algorithm each computer uses then they show graphs of how efficient they work, etc.

Have a look at 10 new dive computers. This is the latest review from scubadiving.com. You can see in the summary which computers use which algorithm. E.g. RGBM, Haldanean, Buhlmann.

There is a chance the computer the dive instructor 'chucked' was probably defective. A good, conservative dive computer would give you more warning.

P.S. can you recommend any good dive operators in the BVI? I don't want to dive the Rhone again. I'm probably going to Tortola next year but want to dive Virgin Gorda. So I'm looking for someone who can pick me up in Torola and bring me to a site in Virgin Gorda. If you want to move this to a more appropriate thread just let me know where you replied, or email me at darrell dot grainger at gmail dot com. Thanks.

Yankeenica brings up a point that is very important to me a well. I have excelent distance vision, but my ability to focus in the range of 1-1.5 feet is problematic ,and can not be corrected by prescription. So large numbers on a digital dispay is important to me. Anyone have recommendations for large easy to read displays?

My husband has the same problem. We both use Suuntos (Vyper, Gekko) and like them for the easy reads.

Suunto Companion

Not integrated.

No, can't buy it anymore

Happy with it. If it dies I'll look at a Gekko.

Cost and simplicity if I recall. It was a long time ago. :)

Air only

It works. It's paid for.

What dive computer do you use? Oceanic VT3
Is it an air-intergrated model? Yes Transmitter or hose? Transmitter
Would you recommend it? Why/why not? NOT ISSUES AT ALL!!! great computer
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? Air-intergration and Reliability
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? None
The best feature of the model you use? Transmitter Less hoses!

Well, now that I asked all of you, perhaps I should say what I ended up buying.

I decided to go for the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with the compass and quick disconnect feature. My reasons ...

1. BIG screen (easier for my "gettin' older" eyes to see)
2. Air integrated (I like that I don't have to then go out and get gauges ON TOP of buying the computer)
3. I like that it's attached, even if it means another hose, because I seem to misplace things very easily! (must be the blonde in me)
4. I like the ability to disconnect it easily, so when I'm at a resort where I can leave my dive gear at the shop/shack, then I can take the computer back to the room with me, to either update my log book, or just to ensure that it won't go missing!
5. I know there are ones that have the electronic compass, but I have number dyslexia, so that's not good for me.

I had rented the same computer for a recent trip, so I knew I was comfortable using it. And I'm very happy with my purchase! Now, I just need to get in the water!!!! Darn it, living in a colder state, without dry suit certification!!!!

Good Choice. The only computer I've ever owned is the Oceanic VT3 and after reading everyones problems I see I choose a good one.

Well, now that I asked all of you, perhaps I should say what I ended up buying.

I decided to go for the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with the compass and quick disconnect feature. My reasons ...

1. BIG screen (easier for my "gettin' older" eyes to see)
2. Air integrated (I like that I don't have to then go out and get gauges ON TOP of buying the computer)
3. I like that it's attached, even if it means another hose, because I seem to misplace things very easily! (must be the blonde in me)
4. I like the ability to disconnect it easily, so when I'm at a resort where I can leave my dive gear at the shop/shack, then I can take the computer back to the room with me, to either update my log book, or just to ensure that it won't go missing!
5. I know there are ones that have the electronic compass, but I have number dyslexia, so that's not good for me.

I had rented the same computer for a recent trip, so I knew I was comfortable using it. And I'm very happy with my purchase! Now, I just need to get in the water!!!! Darn it, living in a colder state, without dry suit certification!!!!

Congrats on the computer choice. I don't know much about them but I have seen these and I agree, they are easy to read operate and look well made. There been alot of great reviews about the computer. My Cobra 2 has a quick connect and like it too. It is nice to know you can carry your computer with your carry on luggage and not worry about It getting stolen or damaged. Hope you have fun with your new toy!

Happy Diving

Rob

What dive computer do you use?
Genesis React Pro 3 gage console

Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? Nope

Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
Does everything you need with VERY inuitive interface. Nirox capable, clear display all for $280!!!!

If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
D9 or Uwatec $2k model

What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
Does a great job at a realistic price

The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
It's not an awesome watch as well.

The best feature of the model you use?
Easy intuitive display that gives you critical info fast. Bang for buck that can't be beat!

P.S. You chose an awesome computer and I'm sure you'll love it. Enjoy!

What dive computer do you use?
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose?
Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
The best feature of the model you use?

Can’t wait to see what the responses are going to be! :blinking:

I use the Nitek HE.
It is not air-integrated (that would be nonsense / air-integration is a crutch for beginners).
If you dive with helium mixes or do deco, it is a great computer for you, and then I would recommend it. Otherwise, any of the SUUNTOs would be fine and cost half.
It is the best at what it does, as of this date [2008].
I needed a helium computer for trimix-deco diving.
I wish it had deco-dive simulation features.
The best feature is that you can load 7 different gasses (normally for a deep deco dive you would only need 6 at the most).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom