Your current self-improvement objectives & how you measure your progress towards them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goal: Do a bunch of enjoyable safe dives, see some stuff, and be lucky with a few good photos.

Assessment: Log book, memories, and some people including myself enjoying my photos. I give myself an A+ if I find a fifth new to me NC nudibranch.

I started my self-improvement program six months ago ... I'm down almost 50 pounds since then, with another 20 to go before I'll consider I've reached my goal. I'm definitely more streamlined than I used to be. Besides the configuration changes, my time spent in the gym has made me stronger, more flexible than I've been in 30 years, and increased my stamina levels considerably. If nothing else, this hopefully will result in me being able to continue diving at my current level longer into the few years I have remaining on this planet. The downside is that I get cold much easier than I used to. And I need a new drysuit ... my current one fits me like a choir robe ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Self improvement, lose 10 pounds. Switching from 40 meters NDP to Decompression diving with backplate and sidemount. A lot of work ahead.....

I want to have fun while I'm diving. For me that includes taking pictures - and I enjoy the challenge of slowly mastering UW photo technique after shooting topside for some thirty-odd years - and being utterly comfortable under water.

To take the pictures i want, I need to have my buoyancy and finning technique down pat. Thrashing around on a silty or sandy bottom isn't a particularly good thing for avoiding backscatter. So I have a strong motivation to have good buoyancy control, good trim and good finning technique. To be comfortable under water, I need to feel that I'm in control. To be in control, I have to have decent technique.

So my skills goals are secondary, they are the means to obtain my real ambition, to have fun. I have to admit, though, that I generally like to master whatever I start doing, or at least being at least average - preferably above-average - proficient. So my skills training is sort of integrated in my regular diving, I seldom do pure training dives. I do that once in a while, if i feel that something hasn't been practiced for a long time, but generally I try to include a little training and a continuous focus on looking sharp in the water in my regular diving.

Continue to improve my UW photography. To that end and my enjoyment of diving in general; continue to hone buoyancy skills and take 4 or 6 lbs more lead off my belt (between losing bioprene and gaining experience in my dry suit, I've dropped 8 lbs of lead over the last 18 months).

---------- Post added June 16th, 2015 at 10:43 AM ----------

..The downside is that I get cold much easier than I used to. And I need a new drysuit ... my current one fits me like a choir robe ...
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Right there with you on the cold and extra fabric, but these are good problems to have. I tell myself. :cool2:

I'm 56. My long term goal is to live forever; so far so good. In the interim, I want to take GUI Fundamentals in a few years. I am swimming a kilometer four times per week. I want to get 30-40 dives in per year. I want to make some equipment changes (drop some lead, move to BP/W and a steel tank) so I will be fine tuning my buoyancy. All of this is to have some fun, create memories with my diving buddy (my 12 year old daughter), and to see what is beyond that next bit of coral.

Best Fishes

GJS

my previous goal was not to have my dives dictated by air consumption but by ndl. ACHIEVED WOOHOO

My goal is to dive as dangerously as I can get away with and live to tell about it. I have advanced to my fullest point and am now actively regressing. Safety is way over rated especially when it gets in the way of living.

N

Issues that could happen underwater will stay with you forever if you survive. I know you know that just as I knew that before my injury that will stay with me forever and I was in the safety zone - stuff happens even if you are in the safety zone. Going beyond that zone changes nothing as far as your challenges go. I plan on being around for awhile so sticking to the "safer side" keeps me happy and healthy. I do wish you happiness in the big abyss.

Back
Top Bottom