Your dream dive-deck set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the thing I'm fussiest about is the method of reboarding. I love ladders with small rises, and good handholds all the way up (and that means at the top, when you are coming over onto the deck, and want something in FRONT of you to grab and pull). I don't mind swimming onto a water-level swimstep, although it takes a toll on my suit, but you still have to get up on the deck somehow . . .

On the Peace, I really appreciated the compressor hot air exhaust being available to dry gloves, socks, etc -- not an issue for a tropical boat, I suppose.

I would agree on a wet restroom. Having access to something warm to drink without having to towel off might be nice, too (even in the tropics, one can get cold!) My personal feeling is that a nice warm shower on the aft deck is just as good as a soaking tank for wetsuits, and avoids the hygiene issues.

One thing I loved on the EcoDivers boats in Bunaken was the organization. Everything but your wetsuit lived in a crate that fit under your bench. Your wetsuit had a tag on it. If they needed to move you, they moved everything all together. And there were dry storage shelves above the gear, so you could put a towel or dry clothes there and nothing got wet.

Although not part of the dive deck, another thing that's important is LOTS of charging space. Seems like every year I dive, I accumulate more things that need recharging.

For me, I can put up with most things, but the two fundamental pluses are:

- you can never have too much shade, and

- you can never have too many rinse tanks

but you should certainly try...

The only complaints I had on the liveaboard I did was in tank storage. It was WAY too cramped. It wasn't possible to gear up if the guy or gal next to you was getting strapped in. I also didn't like that the tank holders didn't allow for my strap placement. Wher eI need my straps to be was in conflict with the mounts.

I've encountered these two problems on several liveaboards. They are probably my two biggest complaints, followed closely by lack of hanging space for wetsuits, lack of showers and lack of any dry space (for sunglasses, t-shirt, etc.). I was just on Star Dancer and thought the set up was really very good. Enough room at each station. Heavy hanging rods with decent hangers for wetsuits. One shower with at least lukewarm water at the end of each row of tanks. Fins kept in railings by swim step. Only possible complaint would be the size of the camera table which would have been too small with a full complement of divers. I also think the idea of pegs for booties is a good one.

Back
Top Bottom