Your dream diving location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely Fiji.

Kingman Reef, ~ 1000 miles South of Hawaii.

:: LINE ISLANDS EXPEDITION: CORAL HEALTH IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC : DAILY JOURNAL : DAY 26 | August 25, 2005 ::

Line Island Expedition Journal:
We found it. A pristine reef where corals are alive and healthy and form a forest so thick that there is no space even for sand between them. A reef where sharks are not used to seeing humans and, instead of swimming away, they come by the dozens and swim around you during the entire dive. A reef where one's heartbeat doubles as soon as we disappear below the surface. This is Kingman Reef, the pearl of the Line Islands.

As soon as we dived in we could see what we were looking for. We were not sure whether we were dreaming. Fifteen meters below our boat was a dense forest of living staghorn and table corals, filling all of the bottom. The corals looked healthy and we did not see signs of recent bleaching or disease as in the other islands. It was virtually an underwater tropical forest. Red snappers were numerous and large, and so were the grey reef sharks. At the end of the dive, near dusk, Forest Rohwer counted about 40 grey reef sharks coming up from the deep, and caught a glimpse of a tiger shark. A pod of 15 dolphins showed up and the sharks disappeared.

I'm going to Grenada tomorrow:D
I would love to hear about your trip. My wife and I are going to Grenada at the end of May and could use some info on the local dive shops. What was your experience?

Ras Muhammed Egypt, Fiji and Galapagos

For me it depends and it will probably also fluctuate as focus shifts. At this moment I love wrecks and big pelagics (before they are all fished out :shakehead:) so that's my focus.. but this could change to caves...

- Norway-Narvik liveaboard (been to norway for 2 weeks balls out diving but not narvik)
- Scapaflow on the commandant fourcault (former navy training vessel currently owned by a Dutch tech diver, used as operation vessel on big dives like Britannic) : Ship Photos
- Galapagos (big pelagics)
- Maladives (big pelagics.. going this year)
- Brothers (big pelagics going in May again)
- Chuuk
- Bikini Atol (they're starting a diveop again?)

Truk...Truk...then Truk

Chuuk & Bikini Atoll

Money no object? Bikini Atoll.

If money is not much of an object but we have to keep it reasonable, I would downgrade to either Truk or Palau.

Back
Top Bottom