Your Favorite Cancun Restaurant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am heading to Cancun in April with my wife, two kids (5 & 7) and parents (70s). We are staying at Club de International on the northern strip.

We will eat our breakfasts and some lunches in the condo, but the rest will be out on the town. I was just wondering what some of the favorite places to eat might be.

We like seafood and Yucatan food. And tend to stay away from American chains and places like Carlos and Charlies. On Cozumel we like Casa Denis, Camilos, Sonora Grill, La Mision (30th) and Primas. In Akumal we enjoy La Buena Vida and Lo Ha.

We will also be looking for a low key bar a couple of nights for after the kids have gone to bed (perks of traveling with grandparents :wink:)

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

PH

I've been to Cancun a lot- I have a timeshare in the Royal Mayan. I'll second LaHabichuela. I think it's the best restaurant in Cancun. Try the bean soup. We also like La Distileria and Captain's Cove.
You'll like the diving. It's not Cozumel but it is certainly nice. If you have any free time try to get down to Xcalak. The local diving there is good and conditions permiting you can dive Banco Chinchorro.

We usually go to the La Placita downtown. Not too many Americans go there. Also, we like the La Palapa at VCI. My son says they have the best burgers. Try the other Royals on specialty night. Also, we make at least one trip to Captain's Cove as well. I think it's across from the Royal Sands or Mayan.

We're booked for VCI as well. Makes it easy for Ben to pick you up...:D

I'm not much into chains and we only ate once in the "Hotel Zone" at the Fish taco place Spratman recommends. If you are adventurous and speak a touch of spanish just hop on one of the downtown buses and eat at Welcome to la Parrilla Cancun - The Best Mexican Restaurant in Cancun
Its recommended by all the hotels and I thought it would be tacky tourist place, but lots of tourists and locals. Their El Pastor tacos are really good and we know good tacos living in the Fruitvale district of Oakland, Ca. But I wouldn't eat anything but tacos there. You can get a free drink coupon for the place just about anywhere. They also have mariachis' walking around the place. good fun for the kids!

There was also an excellent Mayan Restaurant near the Firehouse downtown if you can find it. I can't remember the name.

Our best dining experience however was the day we took the bus to the city hall and walked a few blocks over to the town square outside the major church in town. We ate only street food. Ears of corn dipped in parmesean and chilis, tacos, deep fried quesodillas filled with pulled pork, crisp crepes with nuttela, all for like $0.80 per plate.
There was a great vibe in the square. Lots of families and kids. They had a talent show going on under the palapa stage.

Get out of the hotel zone, get on the busses. They are safe and easy to navigate.
Eat street food, just make sure you eat papaya enzimes before and after each meal.

Thanks folks! We appreciate all of the input. We'll be sure to hit a number of the places recommended. I'm looking forward to going downtown as well as enjoying what the strip has to offer. We tend to be a more local owned patronizing group but enjoy a good meal anywhere.

What exactly is a El Pastor taco? I have heard good things about this dish on numerous threads at restaurants in both Coz and the mainland.

Ben, we look forward to meeting you and can't wait for you to show us what Cancun really has to offer in diving.

Good eats to all!

PH

Hi PH,

Just returned from a week in Cancun; also stayed at the Club Internacional. It's a great property...I think you will enjoy it there. (So as not to hijack the thread, let me know if you'd like a review of it). And, Ben and the team from M.A.D are the best!

In addition to the recommendations others have made, for a really memorable evening, I would highly recommend going over to Isla Mujeres one night and having dinner there. If you can go on a Monday, visit Mango Cafe. It's a tiny little cafe located around the middle of the island. Owned by a husband and wife team: Paola and Lori (she's an ex-pat from MN). Dinner is only served on Mondays and they only have one item on the menu. The night we ate there, it was BBQ chicken breast. The glaze was a combination of sweet and spicy (but not hot) that was fantastic. Prices are very reasonable, around $10 pp (cash only) and include their drink of the day (ours was a cross between Long Island Ice tea and Mojito but very light and refreshing) and dessert (mango cobbler a la mode on our night). My wife proclaimed it the best meal she had in Cancun all week.

I can give you more info on the ferry and all if you think you might like to try it.

Have a great trip!

Well folks, thanks for all of the help. We got in two nights ago and are having a blast. These are two photos of our meals at La Habichuela. Great meal in a great atmoshphere. Took the bus to the square and walked across to the restaurant. Look for the green sign above everything else. There was lots of local activity with this being a holiday week.

Kid_Pics_07_08_071.jpg

Whole Snapper

Kid_Pics_07_08_070.jpg

Shrimp Stuffed Calamari with Lobster Sauce.

The mixed cerviche was also great.

More to come.

Adios,

PH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom