Your max depth!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate to join the ranks of the nannies on Scubaboard, but the usual suspects seem to have fallen down on the (useful!) job. BDSC, I am sure that you planned this dive, brought adequate gas, calculated the PO2, and accepted the considerable risk of exceeding the generally accepted PO2 limits. Other divers wishing to do a similar dive should also be aware of these risks.

We had planned to go to 200 after going to 175 the day before. But once at 200, the other two instructors decided to go to 250. I followed to 233 but then turned around. They hit the 260 mark before they did. No calculating any numbers beforehand or special planning. We just decided to do it. Living on the edge and cheating death is what it's all about!

BDSC

Whatever works for you. I just wanted to let other, perhaps less knowledgeable readers know that at these depths you have to consider ox-tox risk in addition to all the other risks a deep dive entails.

Whatever works for you. I just wanted to let other, perhaps less knowledgeable readers know that at these depths you have to consider ox-tox risk in addition to all the other risks a deep dive entails.

You are right on with what you are saying. That dive was done about 15 years ago. I wasn't really worried about going that deep at the time and I knew the risks but I doubt that I would do it again now that I'm 50. I'm still in pretty good shape but just smarter at 50.

BDSC

I've been all the way to the bottom more times than I care to count.

Will probably do it again sometime too.

Woke up in Cozumel feeling great about myself and the world. Since my wife was doing some training, I decided to suggest a deep bounce to a veteran buddy and cleared it with the boat DM who we've dove with down there for several years. Went down with the group, OK'ed the DM then over the wall to 186. I intended to stop at 175 (because 150 felt pretty much like 100) but as I was spending some seconds making my mind focus on my computer, I dropped a bit more. Observations: this was the first time I'd ever experienced narcosis... it was a learning experience. In my case it meant that I needed to focus my mind on the task (interpreting my computer data), once I did then I said to myself... it's time to go up. Second, you are heavy at that depth (another example of a cloudy head). Met my deco obligation (suunto computer) in stages along the wall. This was a drift dive and we reconnected with the group and finished the dive, 55 minutes.

Last edited:

Reminds me of an old story from the Cayman Islands in the early 80s. Couple of instructors decided to do a "bounce dive" down to 300 feet on their day off (on air, which was all we had back then) 'just because'. They went down and never came back up. No one will ever know what ever really happened (bodies never recovered - bottom about 2,000 foot at that point), but if the Oxygen toxicity didn't get them (not a concept much explored back then), likely some error was made under narcosis, or a combination of both.

Having played fast and loose a few times myself, that story always reminds me that there can be pretty stark consequences for pushing it too far.

Same answer I tell everyone - "I've been to the bottom of the ocean (at least the bottom where I was diving:D)"

Diveprof
"There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there are no old, bold divers...."

141 feet / 43 meters; Hole-in-the-Wall, Jupiter, Florida. I knew that would be my maximum depth, so I held my computer out to the sand to get that extra foot or two. :cool2:

In general I'm not very interested in descending below 100 feet / 30 meters. Maybe if I went techie (i.e. doubles or rebreather), but for this no-deco single-tank recreational diver it's just not worth the shortened dive times, lack of light, narcosis, and overall risk.

Maybe someday once I've seen everything there is to see from 0-100 feet, then I'll reconsider. :wink:

>*< Fritz

127 feet on the wreck of the John J. Boland Jr in Lake Erie in September 2008.

I would go as deep as 130 ft, as this is the deepest that I have been trained.

However, sometime in the future and when I have enough experience and training, I would definately go deeper (i.e. 250 ft range). I hear there are a lot of great wrecks that deep. :D

HAGD!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom