Your scuba set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I listed the three sets of gear I dive most frequently in the here and now out of the hundrdeds of pieces of dive gear I have and this fourth set below is my newest travel set, travel rig number 4. I cannot restrict myself to just one configuration, not possible for me. This is the only rig I have that you can buy over the counter entirely, much of my gear is either vintage, custom built, one off, homemade or otherwise unique or no longer available, a smorgesboard across the last 45 years of diving.

Aqua Lung Titan LX regulator set (or my custom Phoenix Aqua Master)
Oxy Cheq 18 Mach V
Oxy Mini Plate (9 ounces)
DR weight pouches
Aeries Atomos nitrox computer
Mares Plana full foot fins
Marex X vision mask (may replace with unspecified framless mask)
B&G generic SPG, small (DR this one is I think)
Ceramic line cutter, homemade
Speedo jammer and rash guard
Mini finger spool and small sausage float and signal mirror all in a small net pouch

Possible additions: Dive Rite or Oxy LED main light, Tekna knife (checked baggage only--to be avoided)

Considerations: absolute minimum weight, as a result I may use an Air Buddy instead of an octopus second and as well I might not carry a knife or cutting tool due to travel restrictions. Since the goal is to fit all gear, cloths and personal items in the allowed 1+1 carry on limits and still meet the "typical" resort requirements this set is in a state of flux. It is minimalist inspired with a nod to tradition and function first. I also may carry a custom made "travel" harness, weighs only a few ounces and can be used for simple no BC diving. I also carry my camera rig which took up a lot of my travel allowance and thus my paring down. I also have removed all metal buckles and installed plastic versions and plastic cambands to eliminate weight. I shall test it soon.

N

Gotta say I'm a likin' Travel Rig#4. I can't bring myself to replace the metal on my harness, though. What you should do is get a bunch of pearcings and attach all your harness hardware to your face. That way it wouldn't count against your weight allotment. :)

Gotta say I'm a likin' Travel Rig#4. I can't bring myself to replace the metal on my harness, though. What you should do is get a bunch of pearcings and attach all your harness hardware to your face. That way it wouldn't count against your weight allotment. :)

You know, that would never have occured to me. Don't TSA make you pull all that off now or something, I shudder to think. N

They make you take it all off, but you get to put it back on after they determine you're not a threat to society. Doesn't count against your baggage weight! They don't seem to care what the passengers weigh. That's why everyone pays the same price for the same ticket.

certified in May 08 this is what I have thus far, My BCD was bought when I started class, a great BCD but I much rather and will go fo a BP/W reason being I want to learn doubles.

Bare Trilam HD ATR drysuit, drygloves, hood
Aquaqlung Glacia Regs 7 foot primary and Octo..yoke... will be doing an Ice Dive course
Stiletto Bcd...for singles only... will be upgrading to BP/W OMS
Oceanic Shadow mask, spare Atomic aquatics clear view mask
Suunto Cobra 2 AI quick connect
Gekko with bungee
Weinoka dive knife
Oms Cannister light
UK mini led light
reef master mini camera
finger reel, marker flag
XS scuba turtles
Dive X compass with bungee
safety whistle

Other than my spare accesories, back up gauges, save a dive kit, extra reg hoses, fins,I pretty much dive with what i listed above

Sweet. Now I know how I want my garage to look.

Since I mostly dive in cold water conditions my natural choice of exposure suit is a dry suit (Dive Rite 905 classic) and I have been very satisfied with my choice so far. The neoprene boots feel warm enough in cold water and it fits nicely and the air doesnŽ´t accidentely gather in the boots so no need for gators.

I bought a single tank wing + stainless steel BP&harness a couple of days ago and I am waiting desperatly to test it! My former BCD was a Mares Origin Sport (it was OK but I didnŽ´t like having a lot of stuff on my belly side plus there were almost no D-rings on it, or at least not in the right place)

Regs: Apex DST + XTX50 + XTX40. Excelent piece of equipment. Easy to breathe, reliable, comfortable etc.

Fins: Mares X3 = OK

Mask: Technisub Mythos, never had any problem with this piece of equipment. Planning on buying one with black silicone though.

Lights: UK kinetics D8 + UK kinetics A4 for backup = OK

Computer: Suunto Gekko. I like this one because of itsŽ´ simplicity. No un-necessairy functions added, only the one needed for recreational diving.

Compass: Suunto SK-7 = OK

Well this is my setup briefly...

I dive in quarries in Maryland so temps range from 37Ž°F ~ high 50's. Normally I dive about 80% of the year.

Exposure: I have a Pinnacle Evolution 2 dry suit with Temperate undergarments. I love this suit. It is a bit stiff for the first few times but that is only because the material is so rugged. It has a large bellows pocket on each thigh and because of the zipper being located on the front, can be donned and doffed easily by yourself. I dive most of the year which is why I decided to go dry.

BCD: Zeagle Ranger LTD ('08 model) is the BC I use. I switched from a Mares Morphus Pro because I hated the wrap-around jacket style. The LTD is back-inflation, is also very rugged, and has a row of zippers on the front part of the wing on each side. These are there so you can attach accessories like a DSMB + pouch or small Pony bottle.

Regs: My regs are Zeagle Flathead VI with octo-Z. I've never had a problem with the first and second stages but recently my octo-Z would auto-inflate. The upside of using an integrated octo/inflator is that it elliminates a hose from your system (which for me was replaced with a DS inflator hose). I've dove in 41Ž°F water with these regs and my Evo with out any free-flows of chills.

Guages/computer: For aid management I dive with an Aeris Atmos AI qd computer. It is a very dependable computer and displays all the needed info easily.

Illumination: Recently I purchased a Green Force TriStar LED and FII battery but have not gotten a chance to dive with it yet.

Air: I own a Worthington HP ST100, but frequently borrow Al80's from my shop.

As far as future items go, I am awaiting the arrival of a Pinnacle Kodiak 8/6 semi-dry suit. I'm thinking about getting a wrist-mounted computer because I normally have my hands extended in front of me when swimming. For quite a while I've toyed with the idea of getting a BP/W but have so far decided that I don't yet need a set up like this. However, if I happen to find a good deal I'll jump on it simply for the sake of trying something different. I'll most likely get a Hollis Switchback and a Highland ST backplate from XS Scuba

Last edited:
Let's see... Here goes:

BC: Oceanic Excursion
Regs: Scubapro MK11, R-395 primary, cheap Oceanic secondary
Wetsuit: Body Glove 3/2mm
Lights: Princeton Tec Shockwave LED, small cheap backup
Computer: Oceanic Geo
Tanks: Steel HP80
Mask: Scubapro
Fins: Scubapro Twin jet max
Snorkel: None (they get in my way)

I love the BC, only complaint I have is there is only one small pocket, and it's a roll-up one. I knew this when I bought it and have learned to deal with it. The regs are great, easy breathing, even the cheap octo. I don't really need a wetsuit here (Guam), but it prevents problems with them dang stingin' thingy's:wink:. The lights are nice, haven't ever used an LED before, and they are great!! The Geo computer is nice, works with nitrox, is very simple, and allows you to download your dives to a computer. The HP80 tank is my wife's, I've dove it a few times, and I think it's safe to say I prefer aluminum, because that's what I'm used to. Mask works great, no issues. I love the twin jet max fins, but I wish mine would have come with the spring straps.

BearSkin Wet Suit/Hood/Gloves/Boots, Pinnacle Undersuit, Oceanic Shadow Mask, Oceanic Pro BCD, Aqualung Legend LX w/ACD reg, Abs Octo, Suunto D4 Wrist Computer, UWATEC 2 gauge console, Oceanic Wrist Compass, Mk2 R190 pony, Canon G10 Camera w/Ikelite housing, Olympus 530zoom Camera and PT-107 Housing, Scubapro Jet Fins w/Spring Straps, Worthington HP Steel 100 Tank

Love everything, but will replace the jacket BCD with a Hog Setup soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom