Your thoughts about a UW HD Video Rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as the mirror falling off - I can't see it happening without some brute force. It is on there pretty good!

A friend has the Equinox housing and I must say I was interested until I picked it up. Holy cow that thing weighs 20lbs! My Ikelite weighs about 10 lbs and is smaller overall. I like the function of the buttons/levers on mine better, too. For me, as a smaller woman, size and weight topside do matter! Underwater my rig has some drag and I do notice it when there is any current especially....... its like dragging an anchor. I can only imagine how much trouble I would have with one of those bigger rigs! For me, and this is just ME, the smaller size is important.

Another friend here has an electronic housing and has had problems with the monitor on it - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It has been in for repairs twice. I don't know if he is doing something wrong, or not careful, or what, just telling you what he has told me. We got our rigs at the same time and he paid 3x what I did so we chat about it every time we see each other.

robin:D

But I thought the computer software for video editing in AVCHD, were having issues?
Not since last summer, with exceptions. I know that Sony's Vegas and Vegas Movie Studio does capture AVCHD natively now, as does Pinnacle Studio 12. Haven't checked Adobe Premiere/Premiere Elements lately.
As far as the housings are concerned, I think the LANC is used for electronic controls.
Correct.
I am still trying to figure out if thats a good thing or bad. One flood and your housing is done if its electronic.
Not true, the electronics on my EVO are sealed. But I don't have the monitor back. Better electronic housings have flood alarms - as does Gates.
But they are probably easier to use.
I think so. I can control all that my housing does with one hand. For me personally, having to reach all over a housing while shooting seemed more likely to induce camera shake when you grabbed/moved a control. Also there's the upgrade path to consider, a housing like the EVO or TopDawg houses a lot of Sony cameras, an Ikelite can sometimes be retrofitted for a new camera at additional cost. I've noticed that of 4 Sony cameras I've considered upgrading to over the last several years all were basically the same size, but each had the controls in a different location. Plug it in and you're good.
Yeah I wasen't looking forward to this either. I wish they would just make a few model of camcorder and just a few different housings, to cut all this down. :rofl3: It looks like there is going to be 3 housings for the Canon (Ikelite, Equinox and Mansgrove)and for the Sony we have 10 housings (the major ones being Ikelite, Divebuddy EVO, Equinox, Gates, etc). So if I do go Sony, they I have a lot to look into.
Are the TopDawg and the L&M Stingray HD on your list? Both made by L&M, the Stingray HD has a better port and depth rating. And the Ocean Images HC series houses multiple Sony models. MWB with an optional control also, something even L&M excludes on the Stingray HD. I like the Mangrove also, it wasn't available when I bought mine.
I must admit the Eqinox units are starting to look very interesting. And they are the same price range as Ikelite. After that I would probably jump to Amphibico or Mangrove. The Gates are nice and sturdy, but just a little to overpriced for me, there basic housings are alright priced, but then add the port, and other stuff and your in the $4000.00 area,
Actually the Gates HC7/9 housing is less than the Amphibico. I'm sure I've seen it for $2K out the door, port and all. And it allows you to open the LCD inside. And they offer an add-on MWB option.
Just can't seem spending that kind of money on a $600.00 - $1,000.00 video camera.
It's almost a given that housings cost the same or more than cameras. Priced lights lately? :rofl3:
So there going to be a lot to consider. Wish me lluck :coffee:
I would suggest taking the time to call one of the expert dealers here on SB. Joe Holley at Marinevisions or Mike Luzansky at H2OPhotopros. I spent 1/2 hr. on the phone one day with Mike and made a decision the same day. We also have an Ikelite forum and an Equinox rep on the board also.

I wanted to thank everyone in this thread ! :D Your input and thoughts have helped me, and I am sure this thread will help others. :cheers:

Well it seems Sony is winning the housing battle. There is just so much more available for the Sony platform. Which kinda pushes you down the Sony road, not that it's a bad thing. But, it would be nice to have more housing options for the Canon. Unless I am missing something with the Canon.

Unless I am missing something weird that Gates does not list a housing for the SR12? I will call one of the places mentioned and speak with someone to get my final route. It seems by housing selection in the Sony realm, I will be looking at the SR12 or the HC9. If its Canon, then I am only limited to housing maker ie., Ikelite, Equinox and Mansgrove.

By the way, went to Barnes and Noble today to look for an underwater video magazine or some books, yeah that didn't work out so good. So then I looked for any books or mags on video in general, yeah not so much. So if anyone knows any good literature or magazines to look at for education and tips. Please let me know.

:uwphotographer:

Some that I know of - the first two and fourth one I own:

Annie Crawley's excellent DVD - she's the Camera Coach here on SB.
diveintoyourimagination.com - The Camera Coach

Hammerhead Press's book. It's probably a couple years old now.
Underwater Digital Video Made Easy - from Hammerhead Press

This one I don't know:
24fps Productions | DVD: Underwater Video | 8)37101-26418(1)

There's also Jim Church's Essential Guide to U/W Video. It's from the late 80's but the concepts are still valid. Might find one used on Amazon, if not I'd loan you mine.

I've honestly learned more here, on the Wetpixel Video forum and the Digital Diver Video forum (not as active as of late) than I have from any book. Annie's DVD is worth getting.

Thanks, Steve! The video's look very helpful, so I will probably give them a try. And I will check out the forums. I like magazines, because they stick to the technology better then books, and usually offer new and innovative ways of doing things. Plus they, look great next to the toilet :rofl3:.

Since I won't be making a purchase decision till I get back from my little dive trip. It will give me some time to play and experiment with my DC 800. Now that I threw on a UK HID video light, I should get some ok, footage. Might be a little tricky this trip, will be doing some deep stuff, so I will probably be pushing the limits of the Sea Mode on this unit. But hey, practice, practice, practice.

Anyone have any feedback or thoughts about Gate, Amphibico or Seatool housings?

Thanks, Steve! The video's look very helpful, so I will probably give them a try. And I will check out the forums. I like magazines, because they stick to the technology better then books, and usually offer new and innovative ways of doing things. Plus they, look great next to the toilet :rofl3:.

That's one thing I like about mags as well, that and they can hit on a variety of topics that that a book might not cover.

For housings, Gates housings are mechanical so the controls match up in position to those on the camera. This gives a measure of control over manual settings such as white balance. If I recall correctly, Amphibico housings are electronic. What this means is the camera is connected to circuitry with the corresponding controls located on the handles of the housing. Each company has separate LCD viewing screens available.

I haven't done any research about Seatool so I don't know anything about them.

I have an Amphibco EVO. So far it's been bulletproof - I could probably stand on it w/o damage. One not so obvious gotcha is they don't support MWB at all except with an add-on mechanical button when specifically used with the HVR-A1U, the "pro" version of the HC1. Sony still sells it on their pro website. Other than that, I like the EVO, it balances well, controls are easy to manage, it has good glass (port) and does all I need. Double o-rings and water alarm and u/w mike are also nice to have.

I would've considered the Gates except they were in pre-production when I bought my EVO. They're also bulletproof, I've handled their HC7 housing, it has the feel of a piece of precision machinery. I'm just not a mechanical housing fan though.

The Seatool has to be the smallest, lightest housing I've ever seen wrapped around a camcorder. I wasn't too thrilled with the perceived durability of the mirror mounting - to be fair I saw one of the first production models in the U.S. - but I liked the overall feel of it. The one thing that wouldn't work for me is the close spacing of the buttons, I couldn't see how you'd push them with thick gloves. It is a really nicely engineered product though. And I believe the most expensive of the three.

There are no u/w video magazines that I'm aware of. I would be a subscriber if there were. I found Videomaker slightly useful when starting out, but more for s/w reviews than anything else. And I occasionally pick up a copy of DV.

The latest round of Seatool housings (SR11/12) and the coming ones for the new Sony 500/520 have a monitor back version which is really nice. The housing is the same width and design as the other seatool housings, except it is slightly longer. The nice thing about the monitor back version versus the flip out mirror version of the Seatool is that it also allows access to the LCD controls (WB, etc)

The latest round of Seatool housings (SR11/12) and the coming ones for the new Sony 500/520 have a monitor back version which is really nice. The housing is the same width and design as the other seatool housings, except it is slightly longer. The nice thing about the monitor back version versus the flip out mirror version of the Seatool is that it also allows access to the LCD controls (WB, etc)

I really liked the look, size and weight of the SeaTool. I will have to really check it all out, and maybe even give you guys a call soon.

I was over on wetpixel.com and posted a vote thing on cameras, and wanted to paste it here, to see what you guys thought. Because some of the reviews are coming out on the HDR-XR500V and they don't seem to be anything all that special for the money your paying. So I probably wont be going with the new Sony. But here check out this list I have of choices:

Canon HV-30 Ikelite housing $1,625
Canon HV-11 Ikelite housing $1,583
Canon HV-30 Mansgrove housing $2,855
Canon HF-11 Mansgrove housing $3,103
Sony HDR-SR12 Ikelite housing $2,185
Sony HDR-HC9 ikelite hoousing $1,992
Sony HDR-SR12 Amphibico EVO housing $3,315
Sony HDR-HC9 Gates housing $2,882
Sony HDR-FX7 Ikelitie housing $3,615

Well after weeks of research I am down to a few choices. I wanted to see what the video guru's thought about my choices. I threw in the FX-7 because, I was also waiting to see the reviews for the new Canon HF-S10 and the Sony HDR-XR500V. But if they are both going to be $1299.00 then for $600.00 more I can get the FX7. Hence the thread title, " better camera cheaper housing or cheaper camera better housing?". I was hoping to keep the cost below $4,000.00, since this is a first time HD rig for me, and since I still have a lot of learning to do. Yes the FX7 with an Ikelite case is double the lowest rig I listed, but I am getting at least twice the camera.

So what do you think? If you have an idea thats not listed in the poll, please feel free to enlighten me?

Thanks for your input!

Ed

Those are my choices, and I believe there a strong bunch. But like I said over at wetpixel. Is it better to have a better quality camera, and a cheaper housing, or an average camera with a good quality housing? I know you should always go with what you can afford, and I think doing the FX-7 and Ikelite housing is the pinnacle of my budget.

So feel free to voice your pick, and why?

I really liked the look, size and weight of the SeaTool. I will have to really check it all out, and maybe even give you guys a call soon.

I was over on wetpixel.com and posted a vote thing on cameras, and wanted to paste it here, to see what you guys thought. Because some of the reviews are coming out on the HDR-XR500V and they don't seem to be anything all that special for the money your paying. So I probably wont be going with the new Sony. But here check out this list I have of choices:

Canon HV-30 Ikelite housing $1,625
Canon HV-11 Ikelite housing $1,583
Canon HV-30 Mansgrove housing $2,855
Canon HF-11 Mansgrove housing $3,103
Sony HDR-SR12 Ikelite housing $2,185
Sony HDR-HC9 ikelite hoousing $1,992
Sony HDR-SR12 Amphibico EVO housing $3,315
Sony HDR-HC9 Gates housing $2,882
Sony HDR-FX7 Ikelitie housing $3,615

Well after weeks of research I am down to a few choices. I wanted to see what the video guru's thought about my choices. I threw in the FX-7 because, I was also waiting to see the reviews for the new Canon HF-S10 and the Sony HDR-XR500V. But if they are both going to be $1299.00 then for $600.00 more I can get the FX7. Hence the thread title, " better camera cheaper housing or cheaper camera better housing?". I was hoping to keep the cost below $4,000.00, since this is a first time HD rig for me, and since I still have a lot of learning to do. Yes the FX7 with an Ikelite case is double the lowest rig I listed, but I am getting at least twice the camera.

So what do you think? If you have an idea thats not listed in the poll, please feel free to enlighten me?

Thanks for your input!

Ed

Those are my choices, and I believe there a strong bunch. But like I said over at wetpixel. Is it better to have a better quality camera, and a cheaper housing, or an average camera with a good quality housing? I know you should always go with what you can afford, and I think doing the FX-7 and Ikelite housing is the pinnacle of my budget.

So feel free to voice your pick, and why?

I don't know where you got those prices but they are high. Check out Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros
and
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
and
B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders
for lower prices. You can even get some housings through Amazon.com!

As far as the Seatool housings, they are small! A diver on our Bonaire trip had one for her HC-3 back in 2007 and it was tiny. I liked the size but not the price. :shocked2:

robin:D

Back
Top Bottom