Your thoughts about a UW HD Video Rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know where you got those prices but they are high. Check out Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

robin:D

Reefphoto is where I got the prices. Those prices listed are for Camera and Housing. I should have mentioned that before, sorry I didn't. There not exactly the lowest prices on the web, but pretty close. I really wanted to show you the price differences, for the purpose of showing a 3CMOS camera could be in my budget, but it would have to be in a budget housing.

Is it worth it, to buy a better camera and put it in a cheaper housing. Or an average camera in a good housing?

Reefphoto is where I got the prices. Those prices listed are for Camera and Housing. I should have mentioned that before, sorry I didn't. There not exactly the lowest prices on the web, but pretty close. I really wanted to show you the price differences, for the purpose of showing a 3CMOS camera could be in my budget, but it would have to be in a budget housing.

okay, that explains it!:wink:

Is it worth it, to buy a better camera and put it in a cheaper housing. Or an average camera in a good housing?

that is totally up to you. No one here is going to tell you that buying a crap camcorder is okay and you can get great video. You just can't do it. BUT there are many many choices out there, from mid-range to $$$$$. Same for housings. Pick what you think you will be happy with for the new few years. If you enjoy video, you can always upgrade and sell your old one. You would not want to buy a rig that costs as much as a car and then find out you didn't like how much work is involved in video and hate the whole thing so much you don't want to use it!

another housing company you may not have heard about
Ocean Images & Co., Inc. Underwater Video Camera Housings
I have seen a couple of these housings (on liveaboard trips) and they look really nice. Users seem to really like them. :D

Checked them out looks ok, but just didn't like the look! They seem a little lower on quality. But I really can't tell from my computer screen.

If I go the HC-9 route I am really looking hard at the Gates housing. If I go SR-12 I am looking at the SeaTool and the Light and Motion Blue Fin housing.

But I am still debating the camera unit. Mike at H2Ophotopros has thrown in a few good ideas. So I am working with him on what is good for me.

TheBigPhillyFish :

About a year ago, I went through the same selection process of video camera / housing.

What I did was write down all of the features I wanted and debated the importance of each one. It changed over a couple of weeks until I eliminated all but one housing model.This is what I ended up with ::

*Budget - It changed and I ended up spending more than I originally planned
* Camera - HD no question,
tape vs HDD a couple of threads out on this. At the time the consensus was tape was better quality and easier editing. I was used to tape and it archives well
* white balance - became more important the more I learned, Glad I have it. Very good when it works. Made two dive trips with new housing ;the first it worked every time, knock on wood, the second trip it only worked one time, but when it works, it makes improved color
* Internal flip filter - CC filter is mandatory, if it is inside the housing it is always there when you need it, doesn't get lost during dive, is protected, and doesn't get bubbles Just make sure it can't come out of its holder.
*Travel consideration - I wanted something that breaks down, handles, ports, and two sections. Will fit into carry-on bag
*Warranty / service from reputable company
*Mechanical or Electronic control - I had electronic controls on my first housing, they failed the first trip without the housing flooding. All material will degrade over a period of time and this is one more thing to go wrong. the mechanical controls can be serviced regularly, and salt water will not ruin them, unlike electronics. Electronics are good as long as they are isolated from electrolytes, I am a little sensitive to this since I had a failure. Every dive, I didn't know whether it was going to fail or not
*Material - Aluminum; Hard Coated anodize, sealed, aluminum is machined to tight tolerances which makes the mating parts for seals very precise, aluminum is stiff which helps the seal groove remain stable and doesn't flex, finish is tough and scratch resistant, zinc corrosion protection. Alternative is painted surface on aluminum, or plastic. plastic doesn't corrode, but is not as strong or tough as aluminum. My old platic housing was susceptible to condensation when left in the sun. I still put a towel over my housing between dives, but is is not as bad as my old plastic housing
I will say I strongly considered an Ikelite plastic housing. The Lexan (OK its really polycarbonate; it's not a BushHog its a rotary grass cutter, on & on...) material is good, customer support is excellent. you get a lot for the money. Don't like the mirror
*Additions - Lights, monitor, leak detection, upgraded ports. maybe a tripood, carry handle, cases ( you can always buy a pelican or stormcase)

There are several good choices on the market, and they will all make good video. Some were not for me and I ended up spending a little more money and got a Sony HC9 and Gates housing. It is very robust, looks durable. I am happy with it. I usually keep equipment a long time so wanted something that will last and can be serviced. I know it is good for only one model camera, but I am OK with that. I am considering getting a backup camcorder at some point in time.
My new housing is small enough to pack, yet handles better than the barbie housings. It has all the functions I listed above.The main seal does not require silicon, but inspecting for cuts and debris is important. Right thumb controls start/stop recording while holding handle and left thumb controls zoom Everyone has their own desires. For me, a mirror viewfinder and electronics were the deal breakers. In fact, if that was all that was available, I probably would have gotten into photography instead.

After you get your underwater video, then the real work begins, it is important to have good equipment, but more important is buoyancy control and spotting subjects.

During a dive, I once watched this guy taking video a couple inches from a wall. He didn't move at all, without the finger-on-coral trick. After he finished he backed up (reverse frog kick) helicoptered 90 deg and continued down the wall. I wish I could have seen his video.

It is good to talk to the experts that sell these units. As mentioned earlier MarineVisions is also a good place. check the prices, they are usually same as B&H photo, plus you get support, advise, they stock equipment and you can get any accessories later.
If you are on a budget (who isn't) you might consider a flat port to start with and then add wide angle later, then you can go either way. In my opinion, the optics, especially for WA is more important with HD. I can say from experience that a wide angle attachment inside the housing is not acceptable. It vignettes and some cameras and housings won't accept them. Hopefully they are a thing of the past

I don't have editing equipment yet so I watch my raw footage on a HD tv. compared to what i used to have, it is a big improvement. Corners are well lit and sharp. Like being inside an aquarium. HD was my easiest decision.

Good luck in your decision

Just got back from a long weekend in Grand Cayman.

Wow, this thread has been pretty active.

Thanks for the compliments on my videos. I use a Sony FX7 in a Gates housing, but I don't recommend it for a 1st system. It's big, heavy and to take advantage of it's capabilities you need experience with the manual controls of the camcorder, housing and shooting UW video.

Kind of like a 1st time UW photographer should not get a big huge DSLR with multiple strobes.

I think the 1 chip camcorders you are considering will all produce similar video that you'll be happy with.

Just remember, when you watch a quality video there is probably 10x footage that was cut because it wasn't good enough. So don't put too much pressure on yourself, just have fun.

Just got back from a long weekend in Grand Cayman.

Wow, this thread has been pretty active.

Thanks for the compliments on my videos. I use a Sony FX7 in a Gates housing, but I don't recommend it for a 1st system. It's big, heavy and to take advantage of it's capabilities you need experience with the manual controls of the camcorder, housing and shooting UW video.

Kind of like a 1st time UW photographer should not get a big huge DSLR with multiple strobes.

I think the 1 chip camcorders you are considering will all produce similar video that you'll be happy with.

Just remember, when you watch a quality video there is probably 10x footage that was cut because it wasn't good enough. So don't put too much pressure on yourself, just have fun.

Grand Cayman, can't wait to see the video's :popcorn: I wanna do the Cayman's sometime this year. Where did you stay at? I only get West Palm Beach next week, but its 8 days of diving. But I am still jealous.

After talking with a few people and talking with Mike at H2O for a little while. I actually looked at the FX-7 and the EX-1, but I have decided to stick with either the SR-12 or the HC-9. I will go with the camcorder for a year, then upgrade later, after I get the basics. Not only because of the learning curve, but because of mobility. I want something light and easy to carry on, nothing I have to let bag handlers throw around.

My only problem now is which Sony to go with. My understanding the HC9 will give me slightly higher quality video, the only downfall I see to this unit is limited to 60 minute tape. Which means opening the housing on the boat in between dives. The editing part of HDV doesn't really bother me to much. But it is a technology that is being phased out, so it is a concern. With the SR-12, has good low light capability, the best of the sony camera's I hear, but can have some trailing artifacts with close up detail. But with the extended battery, your only limited to 240 - 300 minutes of record time. So that means no opening of the housing on the boat. The housings for the SR-12 are a lot more expensive and wasn't to sure about electronic controls. I have heard to many horror stories about them. But I would like to get some feedback on my last two choices?

Option 1: Sony HC9, Gates Housing, Water Alarm, White Balance Option, WP25 Port, Light Adapters, Sunray 1000, Pelican 1560 case.

Option 2: Sony SR-12, Sunray 1000, Pelican Case, Housing (Blue Fin Pro, Seatool, Amphibico, Nimar) still not sure about the housing, Wide Angle Lens.

Anyone have any experience with the Light & Motion Sunray 1000? Also looking at the Greenforce 250 and 50 series, the Niterider Pro 20 and 40. They seem to be the big three. Any thoughts?

Quick comment...who services Nimar or Seatools locally? I don't know, just a point to consider.

My only problem now is which Sony to go with. My understanding the HC9 will give me slightly higher quality video, the only downfall I see to this unit is limited to 60 minute tape. Which means opening the housing on the boat in between dives.

Ehhh? Are you seriously thinking that you jump into the water and turn on the camcorder, then turn it off when you get back on the boat? That isn't how it goes. :shakehead: The camcorder spends most of your time in the water on "standby", you see a great shot you flip it "on", then after the shot "off". On a typical 60 minute dive I might get 8-10 minutes of footage. On a day when I do 4 dives, I use 1 whole tape for the day, changing the tape at night, shooting some topside footage also each day. I have to change the battery before I have to change the tape!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom