Your weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
Here we go again...

AL 80 with Jacket BC and brand spanking 7 mm, 6 pounds....

Currently i have a 6 month old suit so i use 4# but sometimes have to give that away...
QUOTE]

WOW, those numbers are wonderful. :clapping: i'm just getting my weighting figured and it makes for a much more pleasurable dive

Rookie_J:
doesn't a steel tank allow you to drop about 6lbs off your belt?

Steel allows you to wear less than with an aluminium tank but in europe at least you wont find anyone diving an aluminium tank unless is a stage.

In other words, yes theres be more weight needed if you swapped tanks.

As for the weighting, my weezle undersuit, thermal vest, cotton top and 3 pairs of socks then weezle booties under the drysuit probably add 4-5lbs onto what i need to sink.

Generally with normal BCs (as opposed to backplates) most people seem to carry 22-30lbs of lead on a single 15l cylinder here.

String:
Steel allows you to wear less than with an aluminium tank but in europe at least you wont find anyone diving an aluminium tank unless is a stage.

thank you sir

I'm about 220, 6ft. I usually wear 10-15 lbs of lead. I find the more weight I carry, the harder it is for me to remain neutral... I think its due to more air in the bc to compensate for the extra weight... which expands and contracts with depth. This is diving with an AL 80, fresh or salt (15 for salt), no wetsuit.

m3830431:
I think the created the hoax as a safety margin so that you are not to negative at the end of a dive.

I have also heard that many rentals were being ditched in the Carribean so they embraced the bouyant tank since it would float for retieval. Once the dive havens did that the economies of scale took over and aluminum became the cheapest one to buy.

There have also been some very negative steel tanks. I think I''ve seen some Scuba Pro 72a that were something like 13 pounds negative full and 8 empty. I can see where that would be too much unditchable weight for a small diver without a bouyant dive suit. Most of the newer steel cylinders just manage to stay negative. Once the tank stays negative it's just a question of where do you put the rest of your weight.

Pete

Vayu:
This is a simple question: How much weight do you use? I have heard that an industry standard is 10% of bodyweight, however my class uses MUCH less. I am a 167 lb male and wear 6 in the pool with a 3mm shorty wetsuit (2-4 without). On my certification dives last weekend I wore 10 lbs with wetsuit and in salt water.

-V

im 165 i use around 6lb backlate + 2lbs lead total 8lbs with 3mill wetsuit in sw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom