Your worst dive....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversjobs:
Many of us had great, great dives... but what about horrible dives?

I remember a few of them.

Which has been your worst dive and why? :lol2:
I've had as many good ones as I have bad ones. Just remember, every dive you get back to shore from without hacking up your lungs or being carried should be considered a good one. Just like flying, every landing you walk away from was a good one. :D

Gary D.

Maybe the title should be "Dives to forget"

Mine was recent (well gee I've only been certified for 9 months, they're ALL recent!)

I was in Key West, diving Rock Key, and I mis-calculated my weight (too much) from the day before, I was all over the place trying to stay off the reef, (I did, thankfully) didn't see anything at all, when I finally DID get to a point where I wasn't "bouncing" I was down to 500psi, and the dive was over... The divemaster asked how it was, I told him, and he said I looked alright, but it was a totally uncomfortable dive.

The next dive was MUCH better but dive one that day was one to forget! Funny how 4 extra pounds can mess you up!

After my first OW certification, I was anxious to go on my "first" diving trip. It took about a month, but I finally joined up with my LDS and went back to the ocean (I live about 200 miles away from the coast) to just hang out with the other people and do some diving with some of the others in the group. My friend (who had been my instructor) brought his Zodiac and convinced me and another guy to take it out and dive from the boat. It seemed like a pretty good idea at the time... how hard can it be?

We tossed our gear in and headed out. The other guy seemed a little unsure of what we were doing, but he had been a diver for a little while. On our way out (he had me drive the boat) I asked him if he'd ever dove off of a small boat like this before. He said he hadn't. "Hmmmm, this will be interesting" I thought. We were only going out a few hundred yards (within sight of the shore) and were to drop anchor and hop overboard.

All seemed like it was in order and we were almost to our destination when the engine gave out! I looked at him (keep in mind, I was anxious to go diving) and said, "this looks like a good spot!" So we tossed the anchor and went diving.

The dive was absolutely fantastic. I remembered to check which way the current was flowing and we decided to start our dive into the current. Our plan was to head straight into the current, set our compass course, and when we reached the agreed upon pressure, we'd turn around and drift back toward the boat. Simple enough. We droped down the anchor line, set the compasses and away we went.

About ten minutes later, after swimming up current, I noticed another anchor line. As we approached it, I thought to myself, "this looks familiar; it looks just like ours!" Turns out it was. The current was so strong and the visibility was poor enough that we had been pushed backwards (past the anchor) without knowing it. Once we figured what was going on, we decided it'd be best to hang around near the anchor and keep near the boat.

When my buddy got cold, we went up and got in the boat. That was when I tried to fix the engine as he sat there shivering. I couldn't get it to start, so we decided we'd just paddle in. That was about the time we discovered there was only on paddle! D'oh!

So I grabbed my snorkel and mask and the rope and I hopped back in and pulled the boat back in to shore while my buddy helped with the one paddle. Did I mention the kelp bed we had to swim through? Sure enough, the tide was going out when we started the dive so by the time I had to swim the boat back in I had to plow my way through the kelp. It was so foggy out and the visibilty was so bad near the shore that the instructor decided not to hold the class that day. So everyone in the class went back to the cars and nobody came out to help!

Needless to say, we eventually made it in. I was so happy to finally be diving and it seemed so comical that neither one of us really knew what we were doing that it really didn't matter that we were totally loosing style points for swimming the boat back to shore!

Like the saying goes... Even the worst day diving can be better than the best day at work!

The worst for me was some pit called "Fish Lake" in northern Indiana. I never saw a fish, hell, I never saw my buddy. I didn't even see the bottom until I settled about 12 inches into the muck. I spent 2 hours rinsing the silt out my gear. I'm sure there is still some there.

Scott

Not sure if this counts - the Dive was great.
A number of years ago, my buddy and I, being the cheap SOBs we are, had yet to swap out our wet suits for dry. We were doing a winter dive and the weather was pretty bad, ~20 deg with snow. Knowing the surface interval was going to be a little chilly, I 'd taken along a propane heater. I asked my buddy before we left " do you think there's enough fuel in this?". After giving it a shake he, of course, said " Oh, heck yes. Plenty!". Well, It was a beautiful dive,vis was great and there was a lot of life to look at. It was a little cold @ 60 ft in a old and leaky 7mm however.

Well we climbed back out of the water, fired up that heater ( hard to do when your shaking like we were) and tried to warm up. You know you really couldn't get close enough to that silly heater to do any good with a 20 mph wind blowing and snow falling but we tried ( scorched neoprene has a wierd smell). After about 2 minutes there was a little "puff" from the heater and it quit! yeah out of fuel. We both went out and sprang for dry suits the next day.

Hmmm...so I am still at dive #6 and have had 2 bad dives to speak of...
Both of them happened last weekend. First dive went great, me and fellow SB'er JimJam went for a nice leisurely dive cleaned up some trash at the portland quarry and came in! Perfect dive! Jim unfortunately had to leave so I switched buddies to a Instructor. Well despite extensive reading of this board I figured I might be able to have a good time anyways. We decided to explore the far back left wall of the quarry. All went well as a Zodiac drove us out there. me and my buddy got there and went down ok, having agreed that since viz wasn't that awesome he(being more experienced) would lead and I would follow closely just to be able to see him. Less than 5 minutes later he was 20 ft ahead of me, and so I had to surface and find his british behind. Needless to say that ruined the dive for me....

The 2nd bad dive was more my own fault for not following my own rules...that'll teach me!

My worst was last yr in P.R. when I wanted a quick, easy shallow dive to start off a vacation week. I signed up for an afternoon single tank dive on a local reef. When I started talking to the other divers, I realized that I was the only certified diver on the boat and the other 10 or so divers had only completed a resort course that afternoon. Well, it was a nice day with calm seas and clear water so what could go wrong other than minimal bottom time? It started with the dive master having trouble anchoring the boat on the reef because the current was too strong, so we moved to another reef. About this time the seas picked up a bit and a few people started getting seasick. The vis on this reef was ok in the 20-30' range and everything looked good. Since I was the only certified diver, I was asked to go in first and wait at the anchor for the others with the dive master to be last to the bottom, then we were to play follow the leader with him in front and me in the rear. I got to the bottom (about 25') and watched as the others started down. The first was a young girl of 10 or 11 who was grossly overweighted and who plummeted to the bottom almost landing on me. She had a wide-eyed panic struck look and clearly was have trouble equalizing her ears, so I went up with her about 10' or so until she was okay then we went back and waited for her partner (mom I think). Mom had too little weight and kept bobbing back to the surface from about 5' or so. When she was adequately weighted, she came and waited with us. Two divers freaked out when the got down and went right back to the boat immediately, two more were too seasick to try and the remainder finally got down and we started our dive. There was only one divemaster(despite having 4 on the boat) with the group. The resort divers were all overweighted and immediately started kicking up sand from the bottom until vis had fallen to about 5'. Coral was stepped on, sea fans broken and all sensible fish had fled or gone into hiding. Finally one diver kicked the mask off another who then made a uncontrolled rapid ascent. At this point the divemaster wisely called off the dive and to my surprise everyone survived without need of medical assistance. Fortunately, no one was hurt, and I had two great dives the next day on Cuelebra(sp?).

So far so good. Can't say that I've had a miserable time as of yet. I was VERY annoyed this past January on a dive in Cozumel when the divemaster gave the 'let's go' sign and I still had 1200 lbs of gas left. I've learned from that experience to try to be more picky about what outfits I dive with and what their policies are about bottom times and how they mix their groups. I'm all for everyone having a good time and I'll dive with practically anybody that's safe, but that situation was really really annoying.
BKB

Back
Top Bottom