Your worst dive....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last summer one of my dive buddies and I had this brainwave. He spends the summer at his lake cottage just a few minutes away, he's got a nice runabout at the dock, so why the heck don't we do a dive in his lake? Sure it's a little murky, but it's also a body of water right there at the end of the dock. How much worse can it be than some quarry that's hours away? And there's no charter fee like going out on the Great Lakes. This should be just dandy. Our hubris was soon to be amply punished by the dive gods.

So one day after work I meet my buddy at his cottage and we hump the gear down to the dock (three flights of stairs) into the boat and out we go. It's a beautiful afternoon, and after a pleasant tour around the lake we pick a likely spot and throw the anchor over the side. We knew visibilty was gonna be less than tip top, so I had brought my reel, thinking we'll tie off to something or other on the bottom and follow the line back to the boat. We are totally prepared for every eventuality. It is interesting to note that as I clipped my reel onto my d-ring and got ready to jump in I smiled. It was the last time I smiled that afternoon.

As soon as we're in the water I can see that visibility is none too good. Maybe it will get better as we go down? Wrong! We descend down the anchor line, and as we go down, the visibility gets worse and worse. By the time we are down about 25 feet or so we are basically eyeball to eyeball on either side of the line and visibility is about 2 feet. I can just make out my buddy's 18 watt HID light, and I'm realizing he probably can't even see my 10 watt unless I shove it in his mask.

So we're descending down this line and we realize there's no actual bottom to this lake. The soup we are in is just sort of getting thicker as we go down. There is no chance in the world that we are going to find the bottom, let alone anything on the bottom to tie off to. We stop on the anchor line and I grab it and reach down to see if I can feel the anchor, maybe we can tie off on that, and it's like sticking my arm into a vat of viscous goo. I give up on finding the anchor, ascend a bit, and tie my reel line off on the anchor line in what amounts to a somewhat less dense strata of silt. We pick a random direction to head off and away we go. I have this vague idea that perhaps we've dropped by chance into some ungodly hole and if we go a little ways things will improve. This, alas, was comically incorrect. This lake just was not composed of standard water. Swimming along side by side, if I got more than 3 feet away from my buddy all I could see was the faint halo of his dive light. To read my pressure gauge, I had to unclip it, pull it up to my face, and shine my light on it. After about five minutes of this my buddy turns the dive. Even though the visibility is poor, I can can still see the actual thought balloon above his head, which reads "***k this." We swim back, I'm reeling up the line, and we ascend up the anchor line. Total dive time - maybe 15 minutes. When we get to the surface we instantly declare that this was probably not all that great a dive site.

Things aren't over yet. There's no swim step or ladder on this boat, so we take off our gear in the water and clamber aboard. We drag our floating gear over the transom onto the boat, and as I'm getting everything squared away I realize I've lost my unreasonably expensive, hardly used, totally cool Halcyon Explorer reel. As tears run down my cheeks I realize that even if I drain this stinking lake I'll never find my reel in the goo down there. Last but not least, when we get back to the dock, we have to hump that gear, double 104s naturally, back up those three flights of stairs.

But other than that, it was the best dive ever.

First dive after OW cert was in a local lake with a fast current. I was under weighted and wearing too much of a wet suit so I was dying of heat while zooming along like I was on a roller coaster. I'd love to do that dive again now that I have more experience, it'd be a blast.

Another time I did a back roll off the side of a boat and have my buddy's tank a head butt. I almost called the dive but did it and it was great. I didn't feel too well that night though.

diversjobs:
Many of us had great, great dives... but what about horrible dives?

I remember a few of them.

Which has been your worst dive and why? :lol2:

My first cold water dive. Here I am in a dry suit on the channels of North Vancouver Island. I am an PADI Advanced Open Water Diver, with 30 dives. All in warm water.

My buddy is my brother, a 60 year old, MSDT with 250+ dives who has been teaching for years. I feel safe and ready for this simple dive. The experienced Captain parks the boat over a 35 foot deep shelf. Just so our cautious dive master can see how we dive. It's slack tide so no current. In we go, but I can't submerge. I exhale like mad, still no sinking. mmmm oh yeah that weight belt I left on the boat would be helpful (too used to all my weights in my BC). OK, Swim back to the boat. So I swim back get the belt on and down I go no sweat. My bother is dropping down ahead of me, and down we go, and down and down. Then there is the bottom.

My brother asks to see my gauges, I look then show him. Wow we are at 105feet, my new record! Hey my air is down to 500PSI, wow thats low for this depth, the next 50 psi only take a moment more, hmmmm, not impressed I better get up, so I wave by-by to my brother and kick up ward, check depth, 78, 72, 68, 70, 72, 76 hey wrong way! now I am freaking and my air says 300PSI! hmmm, might be out of air soon, better to find my body on the top than the bottom. A few shots to the bc and I am heading up, fast and faster, and fast. Ears unwinding like mad, surface comming up fast. As I break the surface my air reads 0. Good god zero, not funny!

When we return to the boat, my brother asked what my depth was, when I said 105 he looked shocked, turns out his computer was dead, and mine was too hard to read with his poor eyesight. He really thought we were at 35 feet, and I apologized for not following my training, I should have used his octo and done a proper safety stop. Well nothing like learning the hard way. Of course now I would not make that mistake again. But lessons included, 1) boats drift if you take too long to go down, 2) follow your training 3) never dive without fresh batteries in your computer and 4) experienced "expert" divers make mistakes too.

My worst dive was at Passa Grille Beach, Fl. There's a rock jetty there that I visit when I'm in Fl. I had never done a shore dive before then, and didn't know about tides and the effects it has on a dive. The tide was about to go out when I entered the water. I sat on the sandy bottom to try to put on my fins. I tucked one under my arm while I tried to get the other on. When I went for the second fin, it was gone, absolutley no sign of it anywhere. Viz was about 3' and the current was so strong that I had to hold onto the sharp ***** rocks the whole time, and they can cut right through any glove. I just thought that all shore dives were like these conditions. I was wearing only shorts with my BC, so you can imagine what my legs and stomach looked like. I should've gotten stitches I think. I only stayed as long as it took for a 6' shark to swim past my face. That dive sure gave me something to write in my dive log!

This one happened years ago when I was a much younger (and apparently more foolish) diver. My buddy, Lee, was getting shipped overseas by his employer and our dive group planned a going away dive. Unfortunately, the winter in S. Florida was spitting weekend Noreasters and we got skunked for 3 or 4 weekends. Finally it was the last weekend before Lee ships out and there is a small craft advisory posted. We begged the dive boat captain to go. Against his better judgement, and probably because he needed the money, he relented. We all had to sit on the deck as the dive boat crashed through the surf at the Hillsboro Inlet. The seas were easily 6-8 and I swear there were some 10-12' waves in the sets. Getting into gear and getting off the boat took extreme effort and some bruising.

Although it was a drift dive, the surge at 65' bounced us around like ping pong balls. Visibility was horrible. I carried the flag and keeping it from dragging me away from my dive team was exhausting.

The dive was short because of the exertion. When we surfaced it was hard to keep track of the boat because it would drop out of sight in the wave troughs. The captain made a pass and screamed “I cant stop the boat or I will broach. You gotta come on board in gear!” The seasick divemaster tossed a tag line. You grabbed the line one at a time and pulled yourself to the boat which the captain had to keep pointed into the waves. Anyone who has been towed behind a boat knows what the drag is like. At the platform, you had to wait for the stern to drop all the time watching the spinning screws. You then had to lunge, pull, kick onto the platform and pray you timed it right and didn’t end up in a meat grinder.

Somehow we all got back on board without serious injury. I crawled over the transom and shed my gear on the deck. I couldn’t stand up. I propped myself up against the port gunwale next to one of the divers who was ex Navy UDT and had only done a zillion dives or so. I asked him if he wanted to do another dive and he displayed an arthritic middle finger.

Although we aborted the second dive, the trip back though the inlet was harry. The captain issued life preservers and ordered us all to don them. He made it in. If I was at the helm the boat would have probably broached.

I am reminded of one of Lee’s favorite sayings. “Jesus will forgive all of your sins .... except stupidity”

Other than that, it was a great dive.

—Bob

Buoyant1:
Maybe the title should be "Dives to forget"

Mine was recent (well gee I've only been certified for 9 months, they're ALL recent!)

I was in Key West, diving Rock Key, and I mis-calculated my weight (too much) from the day before, I was all over the place trying to stay off the reef, (I did, thankfully) didn't see anything at all, when I finally DID get to a point where I wasn't "bouncing" I was down to 500psi, and the dive was over... The divemaster asked how it was, I told him, and he said I looked alright, but it was a totally uncomfortable dive.

The next dive was MUCH better but dive one that day was one to forget! Funny how 4 extra pounds can mess you up!

The *exact* same thing happened to me on my first ocean dive, off catalina, and that, too, is my "Dive to Forget". I had a new Mares semi-dry, that had air trapped in it, I was over weighted, all over the place, bouncing off everything fighting and flailing to stay under control. Next dive... took off 4-5 pounds... shook *all* the air out of the arms & legs... BAM ... perfect control, felt like an angel gliding around.

--'Goose

CIBDiving:
...We were doing a winter dive and the weather was pretty bad, ~20 deg with snow.

... with a 20 mph wind blowing...
Sounds like Whittier on a good day :D

p.s. where in AK are you? Wanna dive some time? I try to take the Whaler out to Resurrection Bay (El Dorado Narrows) as often as I can. I see you're not set up to get PM's, but you're welcome to email me...

snowbear@scubaboard.com

Snowbear:
Sounds like Whittier on a good day :D

p.s. where in AK are you? Wanna dive some time? I try to take the Whaler out to Resurrection Bay (El Dorado Narrows) as often as I can

I'm in Anchorage.
Haven't done that yet - I'll drop you a line and we can talk about good dive sites.
We May have met already, were you in whittier on easter sunday this year?
the Vis SUCKed but the people I met were great!!!

I was in whittier on a day in late feb maybe march this year, Sunny, wind about 20-30 down off those glaciers, temp was ~10. blasted salt water froze on you as you walked out. It was like in a cartoon were they pour cement on someone as you moved up the ramp it got more and more "crackly" :11: God help you if you took your gloves off for any time at all.

diversjobs:
Which has been your worst dive and why? :lol2:
My worst would probably be a quarry in West Virginia my brother and I did a dive in.

I never found out the name and it may not have had one. It was pretty close to Harpers Ferry.

Viz was close enough to zero to call it that. I never saw anything underwater but a green glow from the sun hitting the algae.

With a few dozen Israeli Carp (or Zebra Mussels or both), it might have possibilities in a few years.

At least it was not too cold.

Back
Top Bottom