Your worst dive....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think my least favorite dive was about two years ago.

Uncle Pug was good enough to agree to dive with me, so we met up at Mukilteo Park and headed out toward the wall. The current was ripping and I was flutter kicking like a maniac trying to angle into the current, while Pug is easily frogging and watching me to see if I could keep up and make it to the wall. As a test for a SB member, UP is using a pair of Apollo Splits that he had duct taped up the middle, and I was using my big expensive Atomic splits (long gone, now).

I'm soon puffing like a freight train, and I can't manage to get forward enough into the current. The writing was on the wall that we weren't going to get to the wall, so thankfully Pug stopped kicking and we drifted for a bit with the current.

My breathing finally slowed, and Pug started us at an angle back toward shore before the flood dragged us away from the park, way down into a rocky shoreline it would be almost impossible to hike back on. We were back to kicking into the current at an angle toward shore, and soon I am huffing and puffing again, getting more tired every second, then over-breathing the reg, having a hard time getting a good breath, getting anxious, starting to see little sparkling spots in my vision... can't breathe... and I'm suddenly wanting out of there! Pug is just frog kicking along, watching me closely, and I finally give him the thumb.

We drift up to 15' for our 3 min. and I ease up on my kick, trying to catch my breath, but after 2 mins. I say the heck with this, stop kicking altogether and float up to the surface while drifting down current.

Now I'm on my back, taking huge gulps of air, kicking toward shore before I'm swept all the way down to Edmonds. I don't see Uncle Pug. Finally after about 2 mins (enough time for him to finish his SS and make a nice slow ascent) he pops up - about 200 yards up current!

He asks if I’m OK, I signaled yes and continue into shore.

About 10 minutes later, I’ve made it to shore and humped my way back up to where Pug is patiently sitting on a log waiting for me. I collapse down beside him. He makes a few comments about the duct-taped split fins not working so well, and asks casually if I’d like to make the next dive at the T-docks.

We did.

Very new to this forum as well with the sport...that I believe my first dive would have been my last (taking my Open Water course). Had a few gulps of Lake Simcoe, lost my fins four times, dropped my mask once, weightbelt was sliding down my butt, everything that just wanted me to surrender within the first twenty minutes of this so called fun sport???? Told my instructor that I was quitting and he yelled back "no way"... out of fear, I persevered! And now.. .thank goodness I did!!!

Passing the course was crucial but the instructor made me nervous. However, the assistant instructor compensated for it by calming me down and before I knew it, I made it with flying colors.

Had my first dive three weeks after to familiarize myself with the new gear I purchased ... everything fits and am very comfortable in the water. I now am looking forward to many more dives around the world.

This wasn't really a bad dive, but perhaps people will find it amusing.

I was working on my IDC, and I was scheduled to do my pre-dive briefing just as the boat moored. I almost never get sea sick, but for some reason the boat's unusual pitching as soon as it moored got to me. The course director saw my distress and told me I could postpone, but I said I would go through with it. I struggled, ready to vomit at any second, but I got through the briefing. I was really happy to leave that deck and get into the water.

We had a couple of candidates in the group, and I was scheduled to be the instructor for the first half of the dive. In the water, I felt fine, and I got through my instructional segment without incident. We then went into a period in which we were just having a fun dive before another candidate took over. The course director called me over at one point, and indicated he was having an equipment problem with the back of his BCD. We cruised with the slight current while I hovered above him, making the necessary fix. I finished and signalled that I was done.

He started to swim away. As soon as he did, the seasickness returned without any warning, and I spewed whatever was left of my lunch in the wake of his departing fins.

He was totally unaware of his close call until my later confession.

hey all

My two candidates were incidents where I never even got below the surface. Both:

1) were boat dives.
2) involved seasickness--copious seasickness.
3) found me underweighted and overheated.
4) left me feeling like I was gonna DIE.

One was my first boat dive on Lake Erie.

The other was my first boat dive off Miami. Amazingly this was followed by several days of absolutely gorgeous diving with no further ill effects, in spite of that bumpy overnight ride to Bimini.

cheers

Billy S.

This is an interesting discussion. My worst dive happened last year in Key Largo. I had 200+ logged dives without incident at the time, with the exception of one bout of horrible sea sickness (I've been on boats my whole life and never had it before, but this was in incredible heat, circling a tower, and inhaling diesel fumes for what seemed like forever before the dive). Also, I had rescued 2 panicked divers within 3 months of my incident, and I never fully understood what must go through a panicked diver's head until this incident.

I was diving with a group on the Duane. The current was incredibly strong- perhaps the worst I've ever felt- so people were sucking up their air before they ever got to the shipwreck, and the visibility was poor at best. Once on the wreck, everyone had to hold on to it so as not to be swept away by the current. There were 2 other groups on the wreck including a cattle boat with evidently inexperienced divers. One of the divers decided to take a picture, and when he did, he became apparently disoriented. He began flailing and was swept straight into me by the current. The worst part was when he kicked me very hard in the head, which not only made me lose my mask, but also hurt (I was seeing black spots)! I had to let go of the wreck to retrieve my mask, and my mind took over. I did pretty well with the retrieval, then struggled against the current to get back to the wreck. Once I got back and realized how much worse things could have been, I felt this overwhelming desire to swim to the surface as quickly as possible. I felt claustrophobic for the first time in my life. And while I did manage to do enough positive self-talk to calm myself down and complete the dive as planned, I now understand what it feels like to be panicked. I hope I never experience that feeling again!

I was diving some practice dives with boat buddies waiting for my brother to finish his OW dives. He'd be certified for the last dive and we'd do that one together.

One the first dive, my buddy took off, I'm following him and he's going so fast you can't see anything. He suddenly turned and with an upward kick caught me right under the nose, knocking my mask off and slamming my nose upward. Was a bit painful. By the time I retrieved my mask, he was long gone. Surfaced after a minute, couldn't find him. Then got carried by current into the biggest kelp bed I've even seen. Couldn't smim out of it at the surface, tried to submerge, but the kelp tore off a fin. By the time I found the fin, was even worse in the kelp. By the time I got out, I was so tired couldn't make it back to the boat. Actually, someone from the boat came out to haul me back in.

My brother is still not letting me live it down.

It was not a bad dive but a bad situation.

We were doing a deep dive in Kona with Kona Honu Divers. Since we were going deeper than the normal 60' they dropped a tank with a regulator/Octo on it to 15 feet to use on the safety stop.

When we came up I was down to 500lb and several other divers (not in the deep group) were hanging on the extra tank. I finally reached them at 9 feet and they dropped the tank and it did the swing thing until I was able to retrieve it. It was very irritating to say the least since I had a manadatory stop and needed to use the tank.

Was no big deal to that group of divers once we were back on board.

DD

I did my first shore dive in June, and although I had a blast, it was a terrible dive. We were diving one of the Triangle Wrecks off the shore of Nags Head, NC. The wreck is buoyed about 150-200 yards off shore in 15-20 feet of water.

Because of the tides and closeness to shore, visibility was zero. The swim out was very tough and I got a cramp in my left leg halfway out. My buddy (MrsPrages) did the fin grab and got it out for me and we finally arrived at the buoy. After puking through my reg about 10 times we finally descended and missed the wreck. A few more descents and a few more "feeding the fishes" later, my buddy and I decided to just take a compass heading and head for shore. On the way back to shore, the cramp returned in my left leg. My buddy who was about 200 lbs lighter than me started doing a tired diver tow using the tank valve, and I valiantly tried kicking with my remaining right leg. Eventually, BOTH legs were locked up by cramps and I was in agonizing pain.

We finally made it to sand and I proceeded to be knocked down repeatedly by waves. I couldn't stand up with the cramps in my legs and the folks from our group on shore (and the lifeguard) came running thinking I was hurt bad. I've never been so embarrassed in my life. JasonB and an anonymous stranger helped me out of my backplate/wing, and along with the lifeguard lifted me to my feet. The lifeguard thanked me for not being really hurt and I retired to the tarp to blush and rest.

I learned several lessons, so it wasn't entirely bad.

DementialFaith:
horrible? dive? those words don't go together my friend. :wink:

I was thinking the same thing

Back
Top Bottom