Ys-110a problem - not turning on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjue

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I'm travelling in Indonesia now and after several weeks of diving with my ys110a strobe it no longer turns on. There was no evidence of water ever getting into the strobe. I tried different batteries, cleaned the battery connectors, soaked the strobe and dried it thoroughly, tried different positions on the power switch. Not sure what else I can do.

When I do turn the power switch on I do hear that whizzing charging power up sound you normally hear and then it goes away. The Red LED power light never glows.

Anyone ever have this problem or have a solution? I really would like to use it in Raja Ampat and Lembeh!

Thanks!

Jason

I've occasionally had issues with the battery cover. Sometimes, if you don't have the cover pushed in fully when you turn the locking ring, the cover turns with it a bit and it can bend the contact tabs or push them down. Try straightening the contact tabs and pulling them slightly outward to make better contact with the battery. The only other issue I've had is with batteries that I thought were OK, but one battery was bad. One bad one in a set will keep it from powering up properly. It sounds like you've covered that one, but I check mine periodically with a load tester I got from Thomas Dist., and they sometimes surprise me with one bad one in a batch.

Thanks for the quick replies!

No, the stroessner doesn't fire even after 10 minutes of the power switch being on.

I don't think it's the batteries because I've tried two other sets. I may play around with the battery cover again. I did pull the tabs out some to make a better contact. Though, I'm wondering it it would be the cover because the strobe does give that high pitch charging sound but only for a second or two.

Dang. I really could use a working strobe!

Sounds like the capacitor is not charging/working to me, it will need to be repaired.

Jack

If the capacitor were not charging then he wouldn't hear the sound. It would appear that there is some issue with the circuit that isn't sensing when the cap is charged. In any case, Jack is right, time for a trip to the shop.
Bill

Thanks for the input guys. I figured it would be the circuit or something like that. Some guy will help me out in Bali and hopefully we can resolve it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom