Zeagle Covert as Primary as Opposed to "Travel" BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for asking.

I ruled out the Hollis LTS because I occasionally dive with steel 120’s. Hollis specifies what tanks can be used with its LTS bc, and the list excludes big tanks.

Also, the next course I’ll take is an intro to tech, so I want more flexibility.

So, the final verdict . . .

Dive-Rite Transpac XT.

I'm looking to replace my entry-level jacket style BC with a back inflate.

I'm at a "less is more" stage of my diving. I want functionality, but I don't want extra bells and whistles, especially if they add weight and cost without making my diving safer or more enjoyable.

I like the Ranger, but simpler, lighter, less restrictive, and less cumbersome all seem like very good things to me right now. And the Covert seems to offer them.

I've never quite understood the "travel BC" category. If they're good enough to dive with on vacation, shouldn't they be good enough to dive with on a regular basis at home?

Are they less durable? What do you give up?

What am I not thinking of?

Is there a reason this would not be suitable as the regular BC for someone who's about to become a DM and start leading people around underwater?

I crave your collective wisdom. (Seriously, I do.)
The Ranger is an awfully bulky BCD to use as a travel BCD but it will work. Many travel BCDs are quite flimsy and not particularly robust when you look at them. Zeagle BCDs are very well built. My buddy has a Covert and my other buddy has a Biolite and an Aqualung Zuma I think. There is no question as to the build quality especially if you need significant weight in the pockets. Have a look at the Zeagle express tech. It is well-built and very customizable

Back
Top Bottom