Zeagle Octo Plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cowley

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with a Zeagle Octo Plus inflater/octo? If so I would like some feedback on likes, dislikes and experience with the Octo+.

Thanks

In general terms, I do not like any of the inflator/octo combinations. To me it just seems way to difficult to manage and OOA with one of those. I prefer the old fashioned primary and secondary.

Cowley:
Does anybody have experience with a Zeagle Octo Plus inflater/octo? If so I would like some feedback on likes, dislikes and experience with the Octo+.
Thanks

Well, of course I do.

I personally like Alternate Inflation Regulators, (AIR). Some don't like them, but a lot do. It's like the undersized spare tire, some good benefits, but it's not for everybody. There's no need to derail this thread with a AIR vs. octo or second stage argument.

The Zeagle Octo+ is the only regulator we don't make ourselves, we buy it from Apeks.
It has a couple features that I like compared to some others. I've used almost all of them extensively.

1. It has an independent exhaust. So while breathing on it you can let expandiing air from an ascent out without removing it from your mouth.

2. Once shown how to orally inflate it, I find it easier to do that than with other AIRs.

3. You can even easily suck the air out of your BC on the surface, for fast descents.

4. It uses the standard connection LP QD hose also used by Aqualung/Seaquest, Oceanic etc.

I have yet to see an AIR that is a really well designed, compact and durable second stage.
That gives us something to shoot for when we get around to making our own!

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep.

Chad is right!

Cowley is looking for responses from those that "have experience" with the Zeagle Octo+.

the K

Chad Carney:
The Zeagle Octo+ is the only regulator we don't make ourselves, we buy it from Apeks.
It has a couple features that I like compared to some others. I've used almost all of them extensively.

Hey Chad, I used to have a Beuchat on my Ranger that looked identical to the Zeagle, and I was told by the LDS that the Zeagle unit was made by Beuchat. I bought it about 1993. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if I was lied to by the LDS, but I'm curious if maybe Zeagle has changed their source over the years?

Chad Carney:
3. You can even easily suck the air out of your BC on the surface, for fast descents.

I think that's a little risky, isn't it? I know one of the arguments against teaching 'breathing off the BC in an OOA' is that you could get a nasty respiratory infection from the critters growing in most BCs. Do you rinse yours with Listerine after every dive?

Chad Carney:

Make sure you disinfect your BC before trying that though :)

O2BBubbleFree:
Hey Chad, I used to have a Beuchat on my Ranger that looked identical to the Zeagle, and I was told by the LDS that the Zeagle unit was made by Beuchat. I bought it about 1993. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if I was lied to by the LDS, but I'm curious if maybe Zeagle has changed their source over the years?

The Octo+ unit has always been made by Apeks.

O2BBubbleFree:
I think that's a little risky, isn't it? I know one of the arguments against teaching 'breathing off the BC in an OOA' is that you could get a nasty respiratory infection from the critters growing in most BCs. Do you rinse yours with Listerine after every dive?

If you think the inside of your bladder is nasty, I would advise you not to do this. When we are spearfishing, especially on trips when we don't anchor up, when you are told to roll, you roll. If not you might miss the spot. By sucking the air completely out of the BC, we roll and drop with no chance of air being in the bladder. It may not work for everyone, but it works for us...:wink:

The Beuchat AIR was also made by Apeks, but to my knowledge Zeagle is the only company selling it today.

As far as sucking the air out of a BC goes... isn't it amazing how we've survived all these years, doing things like this? Maybe it's because like Bill Clinton, "I didn't inhale!"

I know alot of spearfishermen that do this quite often, yet have never heard of anybody getting a lung infection from it, or from getting dirty water in snorkels, second stages, etc.

If I have to clean everything I touch or put in my mouth with Listerine first...

Chad

Chad Carney:
Well, of course I do.

I personally like Alternate Inflation Regulators, (AIR). Some don't like them, but a lot do. It's like the undersized spare tire, some good benefits, but it's not for everybody. There's no need to derail this thread with a AIR vs. octo or second stage argument.

1. It has an independent exhaust. So while breathing on it you can let expandiing air from an ascent out without removing it from your mouth.

2. Once shown how to orally inflate it, I find it easier to do that than with other AIRs.

4. It uses the standard connection LP QD hose also used by Aqualung/Seaquest, Oceanic etc.

I have yet to see an AIR that is a really well designed, compact and durable second stage.
That gives us something to shoot for when we get around to making our own!

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep.
Chad, You mentioned that it gives you something to shoot for when you make your own. What are you shooting for???

Some of the older octo/inflators (10+ years ago) would free flow easily if they were not cleaned properly or if sand was introduced into the unit. I would not buy one for years after watching people fiddle with them prior to the dive. I purchased a Zeagle BC w/ octo/inflator and have been quite pleased. It has worked flawlessly for four years and 275 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom