Zeagle Ranger issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buckled plates

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm considering a Zeagle Ranger. I'm an active DM and do all my work and recreational diving at rec depths. Because of my age I won't be doing caves, deep penetration of wrecks, or using doubles, sidemounts, etc, so I just need a conventional but durable BC with high lift capacity and a HIGH standard of reliability. Two concerns: first; I've read that some folks have had their weights dumped by accident (somehow dropped without the diver's intent to drop them), and; second, I've read reports of bladder seals cracking/disintegrating, rendering the BC useless and, in some cases, soon after it was new.

Further information/thoughts on these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks

The Ripcord weight system is fairly fool proof. If you use the Yellow Weight Thingies no weight can slip through the bottom of the weight section and you just unzip the weight pockets ans hand up the pouches if you are boat diving.
The only 2 ways to loose weights is 1 leave or have the weight pouch zipper open and 2 snag the handle for the ripcord system on something and pull the ripcord, almost impossible because of the design. It is a much more secure weight system than many of the weight systems that use buckles/clips to hold the weight punches in, I see Aqualung BCs loose their weights regularly in class.

Some of the older Zeagles had an issue with the inflator elbow cracking around the bladder after they had gotten older but the attachment system was changed some time ago.
I have not heard of any issues with the bladders on the Zeagle but there may have been some isolated incedents as there can be with any equipment. The Ranger comes with a 44# bladder with a nylon outer shell and a urethane inner bladder. The outer cover is smaller then the inner bladder so the outer cover keeps the inner bladder from over expanding.

The Ranger is a Tank but it is big and heavy. It is a modular design so that you can mix and match parts to fit you and if one part fails or it shinks it can be replaced without replacing the whole BC.
Zeagle does have or had a lifetime warranty on their BCs.

I see. So without the pouches it's possible for weights to pass through gaps in the ripcord binding. On the other matter, I've seen a few posts relating cases of failure of the seal between the inflator and bladder. I haven't examined the Zeagle yet, but I'm assuming the inflator is easily removed for regular cleaning and inspection?

You're exactly right about the Aqua Lung BCs. Twice I've lost a weight pocket on mine, and on each occasion I was confident (and double confident) they'd been snapped securely in place. It's the primary reason I'm looking for something more reliable.

Thanks!

I bought a Zeagle Ranger on Ebay for $200. That was over 5 years ago. Never had an issue. I live and S. Fl and dive frequently (as long as the water is > 75).

Yesterday, bottom temp off Big Pine Key was 67. :eek:

I cannot possibly imagine how someone could "accidentally" dump the ripcord.

In the first place it's a red handle with velcro completely surrounding it on the left side nowhere near any of the buckles. In the second place you have to pull it out about a foot to drop both pockets since the cable threads back and forth between both pocket sides about 3-4 times. Here's a picture - notice that even the zippers on the pockets are reversed - the weight pocket zippers are further "hidden" in those little hoods at the top (inner zippers) in case said person was trying to remove the weights from the top.

Capture.JPG

Here's a video on how it threads. You can see the gap between the clips isn't wide enough for larger weights to pas thru.

The weight bags are a good idea - more to contain loose weights in the pockets. They have a nice handle if you plan to hand them up on a boat before re-boarding.

My buddy and I have both been diving Rangers since about 2004. He's dropped one weight. It was a 1lb plastic coated bullet weight and it slipped out when he jumped off a dive dock into about 4' of water and slammed into the bottom hard. I use 2-3 lb. block weights, bullet weights or soft shot weight bags and have never dropped any.

If there is one downside, it's that the "stuff" pockets are sewn on top of the weight pockets. Standing with a tank on the stress across the jacket makes the them hard to open. No problem in the water.

My Ranger is 12 years old. The mount for the Inflator hose is still fine. I started checking when I read some of the same issues. And I'm not great at maintenance - pretty much a quick rinse all week then a good soak when I get home.

Also they come with the BX inflator now, unscrew and soak the inflator itself and attach a garden hose to the hose to flush the BC. I've also had one of those stick once a few years after I bought it - 10mins of banging/rinse tank and it worked all week.

Last edited:
As a functioning DM you might consider a Scubapro Seahawk also. It's a lot cheaper, back-inflate, good brand and the pockets are oversized - either on their website or somewhere they mention that's specifically designed for DM's/Instructors to carry stuff. And it has a lot of lift in case that's needed also.

Excellent. I'll make the trek to dealers and examine them both. Much appreciate the info.

I've owned a Ranger since I started diving in 1998. It's been a good BCD. I'm going to have to replace it due to mice getting into my storage and damaging multiple parts. I've never had a problem with any failure of parts, but I do have some things I wish were different.

Because the bladder is an inverted U shape, air gets trapped on one side when inverted. I wish the pockets were not right on top of the weight pockets. I found the Velcro used in some spots have not held up over the years.

Since I have to get a new BCD after 18 years, I'm looking at having less of a 'wrap around'. So I'm currently looking at Dive Rite and trying to decide between the Trans pac and Trans plate. I know there are lots of strong opinions on scubaboard.com and I won't try to influence your decision. Just trying to offer my observations.

When I dove a Ranger I poured some custom weights where I just filled up a pie tin shape with led and made 4 discus looking weights that fit together on the flat tops and fit the zeagle ranger weight pockets perfectly.

As others have already mentioned a weight would have to be pretty small to slip out the bottom, and the rip cord is pretty much impossible to accidently deploy. Any standard weight from a belt or otherwise will work and can't slip out. The yellow weight pockets are not required. Hell I dove a few shallow lake dives with large rocks in the pockets.

If you are buying used which I would consider as Rangers can be had cheap on eBay. Look for Rangers with curved shoulder straps, two d-rings each side and the plastic inflator hose tag instead of the embroidered ranger patch. Even better if you can find an LTD if for no other reason than an age indicator. These are all signs of the newer models.

I would avoid anything with straight shoulders or the old school embroidered inflator patch. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom