Zeagle Ranger issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Feel free to report the thread then.

I'm considering a Zeagle Ranger. . . . Two concerns: first; I've read that some folks have had their weights dumped by accident (somehow dropped without the diver's intent to drop them), and; second, I've read reports of bladder seals cracking/disintegrating, rendering the BC useless and, in some cases, soon after it was new.
I have a 13 yo Ranger. It is rugged and reliable. I have NEVER had any issue with seals. I have NEVER had a problem with weights accidentally being dumped. If a diver uses the pouches, as intended, that shouldn't be an issue. If a diver elects to 'save money' and not buy the pouches, that is their choice, and the consequences are also theirs.

In contrast, and possibly more relevant to your question, I have a Zeagle 30lb wing which I purchased in the Fall of 2013, around the time that the transition to Huish (and shift of manufacturing site, as I understand it) was taking place. I had to return the first wing because of a leak around the corrugated hose elbow connection. I then had to replace the bladder of the 'new' wing because of a failure of the seal = basically the wing leaked from the first time I put it in the water. In both cases, Zeagle / Huish stepped up and did the right thing, and I have only praise for their customer support. So, I have had a problem with faulty seals on a Zeagle bladder, BUT in both cases, Zeagle / Huish provided excellent customer service and support.
tbone1004:
please ask the mods to move this out of the Zeagle subforum so we can speak more freely about it. Not that Zeagle monitors this subforum, but we aren't allowed to talk about other manufacturers in here and they usually prefer we not talk down on the system
tbone makes a good suggestion. Your questions are specific to the Ranger, and I assume you want comment directly from them. I am not sure whether Zeagle reps would be in a position to comment, as information may be proprietary. And, as you can see , you are getting some valuable input from SB members outside of Zeagle.

I would echo the suggestion to request that this thread be moved to the larger BCD forum. That is better than another SB member making the request. You might find that you get additional, useful information. You raise issues that are / should be of interest to all Ranger users.

Last edited:
Inspected a Zeagle Ranger and it won't work for me. Great looking rig, but the pockets too small for my needs (as a DM I'm often a weight repository for new divers, giving to those in need, taking from those with too much, etc.). Large, easy to access pockets are a necessary convenience for me.

I've sent a note to a moderator and asked that the thread be ditched. Wrong forum. Sorry 'bout the mistake and the ensuing storm. New to the site; still figerin' it out...

Last edited by a moderator:
e
Inspected a Zeagle Ranger and it won't work for me. Great looking rig, but the pockets too small for my needs (as a DM I'm often a weight repository for new divers, giving to those in need, taking from those with too much, etc.). Large, easy to access pockets are a necessary convenience for me.

I've sent a note to a moderator and asked that the thread be ditched. Wrong forum. Sorry 'bout the mistake and the ensuing sh&$storm. New to the site; still figerin' it out...
Hey, no need for apologies. We are ALL in learning mode. If it is moved I think you open up an opportunity to get input on possible solutions to the weight transport issue. Believe me, you are not alone, not only as a DM. Instructors have to deal with this as well.

closing thread didn't have to happen, just moved. now that you know it won't work for you, when it moves, we can continue and offer up other options that may work better for you

Roger that. Over and out.

closing thread didn't have to happen, just moved. now that you know it won't work for you, when it moves, we can continue and offer up other options that may work better for you
I think movement is what he wants at this point, and when the request comes into the Mod queue, that can hopefully be addressed.

Move it or drop it, it's all the same to me. I plan on starting a new thread concerning my present BC. The issue concerning unexpected weight pouch ejection was my most important concern and given the comments by one of the posters here, others have experienced the problem too. Any thoughts on which forum would reach the most divers that might be interested in the subject would be appreciated.

ok, now we are out of the mfg subforum.

Zeagle Ranger is a very high quality BC, but it is horrifically expensive. $750 is just unacceptable for any BC system. They get that money for them for the same reason DUI can charge their prices, they have history of military and gov't contracts, so they charge a bunch more than they ought to and can get away with it. This applies to all of their products.

44lbs is too much, especially for keys diving. You didn't comment on what tanks or exposure protection you are using, but even with a worst case scenario you probably only need about 30lbs. The ranger wings are very wide and have to be restrained to keep them from wrapping around the tank and are just not a streamlined option.

In a normal world, it was mentioned that I would recommend a Deep Sea Supply plate and wing, and they are 99% correct. That is my normal go to, because it represents the best value in BC systems out there. It is just under $500, is top quality with great features that other plate manufacturers don't have, the CS is there if you need it, and the designs are great. My normal default for a situation like this is a SS plate with a LCD30 wing. The advantage of this route is you shouldn't need any weight with a thin wetsuit and an AL80 and certainly wouldn't need any with a steel tank.

In this specific case I think the Hunterpac from Dive Rite is worth considering. It is still a BP/W style, but it is integrated which saves money, about $100 in this case. It has 35lbs of lift but it is laid out so it doesn't wrap around 7" tanks, still has 2 cam bands and a crotch strap which are a requirement for me, especially acting as a DM where you will be overweight and have to stay at the surface of the water longer than most. Crotch straps are 100% required by me anyway, but especially so if you have to sit at the surface for any length of time because the other straps don't have to be cinched so tight you can't breathe. The only downside here is that there is no inherent ballast, so you would need a weight belt for you. The upside is you are supporting a Florida business *albeit made in NY*.

Pros and cons to weight pockets for your current situation. They are nice, but at the same time can be a bit volatile for active management of weight during the dive. The ideal scenario would be where your rig is a one-and-done for your weighting needs, and then you can use a modular belt for handing weights around. This prevents you from losing your actual ballast and becoming too positive.
Pinnacle Comfo Belt
This is not cheap, but would allow you to have access to individual weights in the front, and you could put your ballast in the back, and have the shared ballast in the front pockets.

I'm looking at the Hunterpac per your rec. I started diving in 1967, continued for 10 years, and then I was off to military service, career, and other interests. One of my keenest memories from back in those days was watching helpless as another diver, being swept out an inlet in a strong ebb current, nearly drowned when his weight belt dislodged and became entangled in his lower legs. Only a Mae West in those days, and not enough lift to keep his head above water. Anyway, when I got back into diving a few years ago it seemed losing the weight belt was a real improvement in safety. Arguable, no doubt, now that I've had some negative experience with weight pockets and integrated systems. Thanks for the intel and taking the time to reply. Much appreciated as I consider the options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom