Zeagle Ranger -vs- BP/Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, i have to say that I have a Ranger and love it. FOR SINGLE TANK DIVING...

For Doubles, nothing beats a BP/W. Its alot more streamlined and eliminates the clutter. No Unnecessary pockets or d rings just hanging out, and no weight integration to get in the way. its just a clean, simple, no nonsense way to dive. Yet, very customizeable. Add a pocket, if you want, or another d ring or two, or add some weight integration if you need it. Its just very clean and simple.

I have not tried the Halcyon Pioneer wing yet with my BP, but would love to at some point. I might switch my thinking then. I do like the way the Ranger feels on me, it is comfortable, and has a nice air cell with it.

IMHO, i dont think you can get ONE BC for every type of diving you want to do. Pick a Recreational BC for your single tank diving (or the Halcyon BP and Pioneer wing combo) and then use a BP and Wings combo for your doubles.

Hmmm... seems like maybe the Halcyon will do everything, but you will need two different air cells.

Anyways, good luck...:bonk:

I had a Zeagle ranger for quite a while, never had anything break on it, and whilst using it, I never had any complaints. I found it to be the most comfortable jacket BCD I ever owned. As far as jacket BC's go, I think it is top of the list.

For many reasons that you will find "burried" in this forum, I have since switched to another style of BC.

Dave

Get out your ruler buddy. It may only be 1/8" from the BP, but the BP has that bend to hide the wing nuts. Besides, a lot of folks are complaining that the delrin rods in the Pioneer dont work all that well and they are using STA's. OK without a STA it is 1.5 inches not 2.0.

leadweight wrote...
Get out your ruler buddy. It may only be 1/8" from the BP, but the BP has that bend to hide the wing nuts. Besides, a lot of folks are complaining that the delrin rods in the Pioneer dont work all that well and they are using STA's. OK without a STA it is 1.5 inches not 2.0.
No wing nuts on a Pioneer...get your point about the channel though. Tank doesn't move when properly secured....period. I've neglected it a bit on occasion, and was reminded when the tank swayed a bit. Not a pleasant sensation at all...akin to the flopping around I experienced with several jacket BCs.

Agree that some have had problems with the STA-less wing design; I haven't, possibly because I take care to properly align the wing and tank.

So....where do the wing nuts go on a Ranger?

My Ranger lasted only about 20 dives. If you're even thinking about doubles, forget about it (IMO). I got the optional Zeagle BP, and it didn't matter.

When I used the Ranger with single Steel 100s, I was fairly happy. However, it was still an extremely bulky set-up, and throw in the 18 - 20#s of lead for Winter diving, and you'd better be in real good shape to be handling it for 6 dives a day in seas. However, when I swithed to single 120s, the tank was less secure in the back and moved around too much, so I was no longer happy diving singles in the Zeagle.

After the 15 dives, I had had enough and figured it was time to see what all the fuss was about with the BP/Wing. It took all of about half of one dive to know that it was not hype, but all true. Presently, I'm diving a BP with Pioneer. I use the STAs for singles. I also have twin steel HP80s. IMO, as someone who has used both in pretty extreme conditions, there is no comparison between the Zeagle and a BP/Wing set-up.

In fairness to the Ranger, I dive with A LOT of guys who use them and like them (although none have ever tried a BP/Wing). Many of these guys use 120s with the Ranger and seem perfectly happy with it. So, I am just reporting my personal experience and opinion.

Keep your eye on eBay for a cheap, barely used Zeagle BC!

On a ranger the attachment of doubles can be done either with extra long cam bands, or by using a glorified pair of washers which are bent to form a channel. Because the Ranger is a softpack, it takes on the shape of the washers. As the washers are not present when diving singles, there is no channel then. This method is also used on the Transpac II.

Hope that provides an answer, Met.

By the way, it is far more polite to say you disagree then to say someone is "wrong" even if you think they are wrong.

I started diving a couple of years ago with an IDI advantage. After discovering the BP/Wing (Halcyon for me) and trying a friends setup, I have switched over. The gear is easier for me to pack and transport. I really like the lack of clutter in the chest area. The shoulder straps are a bit more difficult for me to get into, but seems to be improving with practice. Hope this helps.

leadweight wrote...
By the way, it is far more polite to say you disagree then to say someone is "wrong" even if you think they are wrong.
Right you are!

This time, anyway....

:wink:

My apologies.

:)

pyrite once bubbled...
That seems to be the trend with people on the board. Exactly why are you switching over? ..............
The ranger seems to have more positive buoyancy than the BP&W. With all that padding and what not, it also traps air. I've tried many different ways: roll, drop the shoulder etc. but some of the air manages to get stuck or least feel that way.

I also dislike the pockets. The seem to far back and high to access well.

While the padding seems to add a "fluffiness" to the rig it does make it very comfortable. However I find the BP&W very comfortable as well without the extra padding. The point was made about the tank stability. I never noticed my single tank moving around on the Ranger, however with the STA and BP it is rock solid and feels more secure, IMO.

The integrated weight pockets are OK, but I have more freedom to shift weight around using a belt. At least front to back. Plus the weight of a weight integrated BC is pretty hefty.

just my 2cents worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom