Zeagle SS Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whats the problem with bolting the wing onto the plate ?
Works like a charm, wing never moves, no need for an STA, Keeps the wing horizontal with the little tie down tabs on the side.

I have just wacked a Zeagle plate and 44lb onto my PRISM CCR.
I just don't understand how you guys get air trapping in the wing, I have never had any air trapping in any Zeagle wing.
34lb
44lb
Little Bertha

All are great wings.

Sydney_Diver:
Works like a charm, wing never moves, no need for an STA, Keeps the wing horizontal with the little tie down tabs on the side.

I just don't understand how you guys get air trapping in the wing, I have never had any air trapping in any Zeagle wing.
34lb
44lb
Little Bertha

All are great wings.

never had this air trapping thing occur, maybe they wear it differently than you and I Sydney?

Sydney_Diver:

34lb
44lb
Little Bertha

All are great wings.

My appologies on the trapping thing....I had used a Bertha wing on a single ! The 44lb on the Ranger is great.

The 34lb on a single is neat,clean and streamlined on the BP.

The bolt issue: Call me paranoid,but after having the dump valves on my Ranger colapse into the wing on a dive at Tormentos
in Cozumel while a Norte blew in at Christmas got me thinking about screws and acorn nuts comming undone and trying to find
replacements in a Mexican hardware store....

However,I'm sure Scott would send them to me.

Ron

Hi Ron
The 8 bolts that hold the wing onto the bladder are all nyloc, hence once you do them up it is pretty much a given they will not come undone. In saying if you do undo Nyloc bolts you should replace them. I have over 200 dives on my single BP&W, the bolts are still as tight as the day I did them up.

Cheers
Chris

Ron Brandt:
Call me paranoid,but after having the dump valves on my Ranger colapse into the wing... Ron

Hello Ron,

I think what you're saying is the lower over-pressure/dump valves came apart from the outer cover, correct?

This is a known problem with older Zeagle ballistic bladder covers, and is covered by warranty of course. We regret the problem as with any, but fortunately this problem usually occurs gradually, (often divers have been diving their BCs for quite some time before noticing it), and it is not an issue that would cause a failure of the BC to provide buoyancy or the valve to function. (Although it could get harder to reach.) The valve's primary purpose is over-pressure relief.
Ballistic material is tough but has a tendancy to unravel at edges if it is not sealed exactly right and clamped down by the OE valve. The problem is now easy to fix.
I hope this explains it.

And the nylock nuts work very well on our backplates.

Thanks!
Chad

Chad Carney:
Hello Ron,

I think what you're saying is the lower over-pressure/dump valves came apart from the outer cover, correct?

This is a known problem with older Zeagle ballistic bladder covers, and is covered by warranty of course. We regret the problem as with any, but fortunately this problem usually occurs gradually, (often divers have been diving their BCs for quite some time before noticing it), and it is not an issue that would cause a failure of the BC to provide buoyancy or the valve to function. (Although it could get harder to reach.) The valve's primary purpose is over-pressure relief.
Ballistic material is tough but has a tendancy to unravel at edges if it is not sealed exactly right and clamped down by the OE valve. The problem is now easy to fix.
I hope this explains it.

And the nylock nuts work very well on our backplates.

Thanks!
Chad

This was a brand new BCD and was not one year old with only 60 or so dives on it as I got it late in the seasion and use it only with a drysuit.

The valves only took me a few minutes to fix,but one valve was unscrewed so much it would have popped right off on the next dive.....last thing I want is a bcd failure on Maracaibo Deep at 145. I do not use the wing dump valves and do not teach their use.

I am also experienceng a sticking power inflator on this unit as of the last few weeks. Appart from the Coz trip this BC only see's fresh water. I do not use it to teach in the pool so no pool chemicals are affecting it.

Thanks for the info..I will PM Scot and yourself with other details in the next couple of days.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom