Zhung Kong Robbed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea. All I know is that I cannot name another dive location anywhere in the world that has these kinds of precautions repeated so regularly.

I agree with you but I also do not know of another dive location anywhere in the world with that number of fairly isolated shore diving sites. Bonaire seems to be pretty unique.

are you serious?

those dumbasses that want to bring some water, gatorade or a PB&J to the dive site. fools. they should know better and follow this "system"? cmon.

it is not acceptable to know that a freaking bottle of gatorade or a pair of shorts will be taken out of your truck. if this is considered, "working well" then...well, just wow.

I have never had any problem in about 10 trips, with bottles of water, some older cover-up clothes, and cheap flip-flops. The key is nothing of value. That is, nothing that would be difficult or expensive to replace. Sure, the threat of petty theft is a PITA but fully offset by the uncrowded diving opportunities. Maybe it is just as well that a significant number of divers are put off by this threat. If not, it would probably be more difficult and more expensive to go to Bonaire (at least until they expanded to meet the increased demand).

For years the local police and politicians have sacraficed the tourist to the criminals with a non-spoken treaty of -- as long as you keep your petty crimes to the tourist and leave the locals alone we will look the other way.
Well, from my viewpoint, "the locals" are as much a victim of crime as "the tourists". In all honesty this statement is completely false.

Also, a side benefit to leaving your windows down.....your vehicle is cooler when you get back in it.

I agree with you but I also do not know of another dive location anywhere in the world with that number of fairly isolated shore diving sites. Bonaire seems to be pretty unique.

I have never had any problem in about 10 trips, with bottles of water, some older cover-up clothes, and cheap flip-flops. The key is nothing of value. That is, nothing that would be difficult or expensive to replace. Sure, the threat of petty theft is a PITA but fully offset by the uncrowded diving opportunities. Maybe it is just as well that a significant number of divers are put off by this threat. If not, it would probably be more difficult and more expensive to go to Bonaire (at least until they expanded to meet the increased demand).

In 12 trips i have only had a pair of shorts taken out of our truck. but that does not make it okay. a PITA is not acceptable in my mind but i guess we differ. I am not happy that i cannot bring a cooler with refreshments to a dive. that sucks. I will continue to go to Bonaire just like you...but wouldn't it be nice if you could keep a cooler in the back of the truck? i am not talking about cameras (the key that you refer to, thanks for clarifying) or high ticket items. a cooler, or a change of clothes. i would like to leave these things in the truck, that is not a lot to ask.

the "well, i have been to bonaire 25,000 times and have never had a problem" stance is so lame. to deny that the problem exists allows it to continue.

Well, from my viewpoint, "the locals" are as much a victim of crime as "the tourists". In all honesty this statement is completely false.

Based on the start of this thread, they now are sure getting a taste of it. Chickens coming home to roost, hope they enjoy it. They should set up some more road blocks to make sure people have paid their road taxes, while the robbers keep taking off on foot.:)

You clearly have not been to many of the cave diving sites in the Mexico. Many are very isolated. They are well known, though, so any local could easily find out where they are. There is a good chance divers will be in the caves, with their cars and trucks unguarded and filled with valuables, nearly every day.

The shore diving sites in Curacao are more isolated than the ones in Bonaire.

I have been to Curacao multiple times but not Bonaire. I can tell you each dive site/beach has had a security guy sitting in the parking during 'core' hours including director's bay and klein knip. While we dont bring valuables we can certainly leave water and clothes and our mesh bags locked in our truck. It seems to me that they have taken some steps to ensuring vehicle security. I have no idea who pays these guards. But somehow it has been organized and the guards are there (well I hope they are still there anyway)
As for Canadians leaving doors open we used to all the time but not anymore.

I have been to Curacao multiple times but not Bonaire. I can tell you each dive site/beach has had a security guy sitting in the parking during 'core' hours including director's bay and klein knip. While we dont bring valuables we can certainly leave water and clothes and our mesh bags locked in our truck. It seems to me that they have taken some steps to ensuring vehicle security. I have no idea who pays these guards. But somehow it has been organized and the guards are there (well I hope they are still there anyway)
As for Canadians leaving doors open we used to all the time but not anymore.

I never saw that at the sites where I dived, but it sure seems like a reasonable idea.

When were you there? They were in place in August 2013

Long before that--about 8 years ago. The beaches I saw looked pretty deserted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom