Zika Free Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscheier

Contributor
Reaction score
I know there have been posts/debates re: going to the Caribbean and other places with Zika. Can anyone recommend a place to go diving that currently has no Zika problems?

Thanks

J

While diving I would think that it's impossible to get Zika.

Maybe I'm wrong, let me check the Googles.

However, the majority of the time you are not in the water. I am not worried about it when I am 100 feet down. It is at all other times.

I would expect the further you get from the equator the less likely. Maybe a good time to plan a trip to Silfra!

I know there have been posts/debates re: going to the Caribbean and other places with Zika. Can anyone recommend a place to go diving that currently has no Zika problems?

Thanks

J

According to the Center for Disease Control that would be Alaska, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming. Every other state has reported cases of ZIKA however none have been contracted in the States as of two days ago. The catch is that domestic mosquitoes that have bitten infected people are now carrying the virus so it's just a matter of time before folks here start getting it without leaving their yards. The map is not very complete concerning territories outside the USA but judging from what is shown probably the entire Caribbean is affected.

Zika virus in the United States | Zika virus | CDC

I'm going to West Mexico, East Mexico, and Costa Rica this year. My plan is to use CDC approved repellent and try to avoid getting bitten. If the weather is nice perhaps I can just wear my wetsuit all the time. They probably won't bite me through that :wink:

I would expect the further you get from the equator the less likely. Maybe a good time to plan a trip to Silfra!
ISK 39,000.00(~US$300.00) for two 18m dives is pretty steep! You are better off at Scapa Flow.
No mosquitos but midges(?), Orkney is too windy.

Last edited:
According to the Center for Disease Control that would be Alaska, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming. Every other state has reported cases of ZIKA however none have been contracted in the States as of two days ago. The catch is that domestic mosquitoes that have bitten infected people are now carrying the virus so it's just a matter of time before folks here start getting it without leaving their yards. The map is not very complete concerning territories outside the USA but judging from what is shown probably the entire Caribbean is affected.

Zika virus in the United States | Zika virus | CDC

I'm going to West Mexico, East Mexico, and Costa Rica this year. My plan is to use CDC approved repellent and try to avoid getting bitten. If the weather is nice perhaps I can just wear my wetsuit all the time. They probably won't bite me through that :wink:

Thanks for the replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom