Zip Tie Replacements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you guys think about using stainless steel zip ties or some other mechanism to attach the power inflator?

I was thinking something like this: View attachment 452490

Anyone have any opinions or a better idea?

I don't like the sharp steel end that is left on these and worm drive/jubilee clips. Fine under my car, but not safe immediately next to me and my gear

Stainless steel...corrosion....I don't know...It seems sketchier than a zip tie.

316grade stainless steel will be fine in salt water. Just don't use galvanised steel.

Fancy zip ties? These could have the same brittle with age problem as zip ties.

Last edited:
On one of my wings or BC's when I went to replace the inflator I found the one I was replacing had been glued as well as clamped. I do not know if it was the original but I believe it was.

all this is temporary!
Everlasting is better :)
Did you hear about Whipping Knot?
View attachment 452505
This way is most redundant and also you can do it everywhere and anytime.
All ours "old school" equipment used this type of tighten for pipes, specially for ambient pressured details.
View attachment 452506
sure, it takes longer time to make it, but then you can forget about this connection forever. Pipe will broken early, than knot.
Just one remark - you can use kapron wire, but many years I preffer use Dyneema Braided Fishing Line (on the picture green one).
Looks like a lot of effort but I think I like this solution.

In another thread we were discussing problems caused by various failures of various power inflator mechanisms (among other things).

In several cases, the failure was due to a zip-tie being used to attch the courrogated hose that goes from a BCD to the power inflator.

I was thinking that this is something I've seen several times as an ordinary diver in the short time I've been diving, and it's something that should be fairly easy to remedy without replacing anything expensive. Just saying "inspect your gear" doesn't really help. Anyone who has ever used a zip tie knows that one moment they can appear just fine and the next they can break off. I guess you could proactively replace all the zip ties on your gear every 6 months or so...

What do you guys think about using stainless steel zip ties or some other mechanism to attach the power inflator?

I was thinking something like this: View attachment 452490

Anyone have any opinions or a better idea?

Good topic. I think I know the discussion you're referring to. My solution after initially having trouble with it was to intensify my pre-dive *self* checks. My conclusion was that my problems weren't being caused by zip ties, they were being caused by me not paying attention to important details while kitting up.

I have a safe a dive kit with zip ties in it (of course) that permanently lives in the car. At the first sign of trouble I replace them.

I've also incorporated the "self check" into the OW course. In my course we learn a "self check" and a "cross check". The cross check is what most people call the buddy check. The first question in the "cross check" is if the diver did the "self check". Since I started doing this (around 2002) I haven't any any significant equipment issues that showed up during the dive.

R..

On one of my wings or BC's when I went to replace the inflator I found the one I was replacing had been glued as well as clamped. I do not know if it was the original but I believe it was.

Some manufacturers recommend the use of a light coat of Gasgacinch to help make an airtight seal.

Some manufacturers recommend the use of a light coat of Gasgacinch to help make an airtight seal.
On scuba gear? The MSDS for that stuff makes it sound like it should not be used for this application:
upload_2018-3-28_9-34-25.png

On scuba gear? The MSDS for that stuff makes it sound like it should not be used for this application:
View attachment 452612

Yes, on scuba gear ... see the manual for Aqualung's Powerline Inflator.

It's not in your breathing air pathway. It's a glue. And once it dries all the volatile compounds are stable.

And in an emergency, you can also use it to create an engine gasket for your car. :wink:

I don't know about you guys but I always keep a few zipties in my BC pocket for stuff that happens on a dive. Also can ziptie your line for your SMB to something then after surfacing you can just give it good jerk and break the ziptie and get all your line back.

There is also a quality difference in zip ties from various sources. I found the “general purpose” home-depot style ones a bit brittle and the plastic tongue not very confidence inspiring for scuba applications. Thomas and Betts (http://www.tnb.com) has e.g. ones that appear softer and have a solid metal locking tab. I prefer those.

Back
Top Bottom