Zip Ties for Mouthpieces?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the Thomas and Betts zips that tbone linked to, though they do have a largish bump. I've found that it isn't an issue on my mouthpieces if it's on the side, but that's just me. The material is different and the stainless locking tab runs smoothly as you cinch it down - it doesn't click-click ratchet like other ties. If you over tighten, these ties tend to break cleanly at something approximating their rated strength. They don't stretch out like cheaper ties do, and perhaps fail later. Plus, I know what I'm getting.

I also have a couple of tools like Warren posted. They are nice because you can tighten with a "straight pull" without having to pull the tag end to the side, which often rotates the mouthpiece and leaves it cattywhampus. Just be careful. It is easy to overtighten the zip tie and either distort the mouthpiece or, worst case, crack the plastic underneath. You really don't need to have a mouthpiece zip super tight. Just a few clicks past snug is usually fine.

You really don't need to have a mouthpiece zip super tight. Just a few clicks past snug is usually fine.
Usually yes, but we need it to always be tight enough. I learned the hard way. Several years ago I had tightened a new mouthpiece as firmly as possible by hand, but within about a dozen dives it slipped off my 2nd stage while in my mouth on a dive. After 2 or 3 attempts to clear that excess water from my reg with an exhalation, I reached up to use the purge button and discovered there was nothing there. The worst part of this story is that it had to happen a 2nd time a year or so later to convinced me I could not pull it tight enough by hand and should always use a tool.

So, definitely use a tool to tighten more than you can by hand. If I don't have my zip-tie tool handy, I will instead use a valve handwheel tool to "frame" the ratchet fastener for leverage in one hand, and then use any pliers handy to pull the waste end plenty snug with my other hand. Clip it and you are done.
TL113-Valve-Handwheel-Tool.jpg

A zip-tie tool is great if you are doing a ton of ties, but pliers or cutters usually suffice to tighten tie wraps pretty darn tight...

- 1) Put the tie on and pull snug by hand.
- 2) Grab the tail of the tie with the Pliers/Cutters flush up against the locking block (if using cutters don't squeeze hard enough to cut, just to grab.)
- 3) Twist the handles of the pliers/cutters, levering the surface of the pliers/cutters against the locking block, enough to tighten by a tooth or two.
- 4) Repeat 2-3 until "tight".
- 5) Cut off the tail.

One set of small flush cutters is really all you need and fits in a save-a-dive kit.

I’ll second buy a zip tie gun. The one recommended, or any you can find on amazon, or your local hardware store are fine. They’ll all make a nice, tight connection, with s clean cut on the extra withbnonfiling required. Well worth it.

Usually yes, but we need it to always be tight enough. I learned the hard way. Several years ago I had tightened a new mouthpiece as firmly as possible by hand, but within about a dozen dives it slipped off my 2nd stage while in my mouth on a dive. After 2 or 3 attempts to clear that excess water from my reg with an exhalation, I reached up to use the purge button and discovered there was nothing there. The worst part of this story is that it had to happen a 2nd time a year or so later to convinced me I could not pull it tight enough by hand and should always use a tool.

That would be very unpleasant, for sure. I'm interested in the failure mode.

Was the zip still in place on the mouthpiece and does your second stage have a lip on the barrel the mouthpiece goes over?

I have a hard time envisioning a mouthpiece coming off like that, even if the zip was only hand tight unless there was no lip on the barrel or the zip broke or stretched. Even hand tight, I can't remove a mouthpiece from my second stages - at most I can rotate it slightly, but I couldn't get it off if if tried. I can see, however, if you have a barrel with no lip, it would be more important to really cinch it down.

But, live and learn & I appreciate sharing your experience.

"no bump" version sold by XS Scuba

These are the best. I use them for my own equipment and our dive school's training fleet.

That would be very unpleasant, for sure. I'm interested in the failure mode.

Was the zip still in place on the mouthpiece and does your second stage have a lip on the barrel the mouthpiece goes over?

I have a hard time envisioning a mouthpiece coming off like that, even if the zip was only hand tight unless there was no lip on the barrel or the zip broke or stretched. Even hand tight, I can't remove a mouthpiece from my second stages - at most I can rotate it slightly, but I couldn't get it off if if tried. I can see, however, if you have a barrel with no lip, it would be more important to really cinch it down.

But, live and learn & I appreciate sharing your experience.
I can't answer either question, it was too long ago. I was diving an Oceanic set at the time, so perhaps they have a consistent "style" to the mouthpiece fitting that would answer that one. Also, not every mouthpiece sold has the same diameter, so there are variances on the firmness of a dry fit. I know for sure I was NOT using an original Oceanic mouthpiece.

There are reusable mouthpiece clamps from aqua lung and ScubaPro

There are reusable mouthpiece clamps from aqua lung and ScubaPro
Yes, but they suck, and are, mmm.....anti-proletariat......? I mean't .....they are silly vis-a-vis ZIP-TIES.

Better to suck than to bite. We used them with our instructor with his refs and our mouthpieces and it was okay,

Back
Top Bottom