Hello from Orange County, CA. I'm a newbie! Recommended chapsticks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helen Nguyen

Registered
Reaction score
I am brand new to scuba just took my first lessons this weekend & I cannot wait to finish & start diving everywhere! This past weekend, I started my pool/class sessions and my lips were so dry! I will be doing 3 dives in Catalina soon and I need this problem solved! What chapstick would you guys recommend that's water repellent?

Last edited:
Welcome to Scubaboard!

Try this (available at CVS Drugstores):
Kingdom Lips - Bag Balm

Great for those low humdity Santa Ana wind conditions in summer & winter here in SoCal.

I use Burts Bees.

ETA: don't know if it's water resistant, but it lasted pretty well with my recent pool dives.

Hello Helen, and welcome! This is a great place to ask all sorts of questions, and yes bag balm is great!
Have fun and dive safe

It's water repellant?
Plain water just slides off a bag balm application to my hands & fingers -it takes vigorous soap & water rub to wash it away. I would recommend start applying it a day or or two before your next Scuba Class.

Also use it as a soothing salve for drysuit seal irritation to my neck skin (but wash it off the seals post-dive as the petroleum will degrade the latex material).

Helen,
Welcome to OC diving ....

OC was one of the birth places of SoCal diving along with San Diego & LA counties...For the first generation of diving it was the center of diving for California, the United Stated and the world.

You might want to google 'The legends of diving; Orange county did you know?' ( or at least I think that is the title )

A suggestion ...Saturday when you dive it will be Hot ...
Bring some Gatorade for thirst ..the white mist or the orange flavor are my favorites
Also a MINT to suck on after the dive ...eliminated or reduces the salt flavor in your mouth

My I inquire
What shop ?
Who is your instructor ?
Where - what beach are you diving Saturday?
(FYI I was the 3d or 4th UW instructor in OC....a long time ago long before NAUI or PADI and your fuzzy faced instructor)

SDM

Last edited:
howdy and welcome from south Florida......

Back
Top Bottom