Cozumel diving,what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to Coz three times. In my experience, most of the operators will allow you (and some may prefer you) to doff your BC (and weight belt if not integrated) before you get back on the boat. This is especially true for the smaller "six-pack" boats many of the ops use there. Just tell them that's what you want to do.

As for the diving itself, I don't think you could exert yourself less then when you are drift diving. More or less, you will descend to the wall, remain neutral and hold position while watching the magnificent scenery go by. If you like to take photos like me, it's a tad harder because you have to acquire a photo target as it is "approaching" and then you really only get one pass as it "goes by."

On ascent, usually the dive guide will pop a bag and you'll do a floating safety stop in the current while the boat follows your bubbles.

Happy diving!

I was wondering about the safety stop and how it was done )(easy or hard) while drifting along.

I've been to Coz three times. In my experience, most of the operators will allow you (and some may prefer you) to doff your BC (and weight belt if not integrated) before you get back on the boat. This is especially true for the smaller "six-pack" boats many of the ops use there. Just tell them that's what you want to do.

As for the diving itself, I don't think you could exert yourself less then when you are drift diving. More or less, you will descend to the wall, remain neutral and hold position while watching the magnificent scenery go by. If you like to take photos like me, it's a tad harder because you have to acquire a photo target as it is "approaching" and then you really only get one pass as it "goes by."

On ascent, usually the dive guide will pop a bag and you'll do a floating safety stop in the current while the boat follows your bubbles.

Happy diving!

I was wondering about the safety stop and how it was done )(easy or hard) while drifting along.

A safety stop during a drift dive pretty simple but it does require buoyancy control, since there is usually no line to hang on. I find it simpler to maintain a 15-20’ range, as opposed to attempting to maintain at a constant 15’depth. Ending a dive may vary depending on the type of Op you are using. Basically the various dive Op’s in Cozumel use two models: dive as group or dive your tank. In group diving the whole group will rise at the same time with the DM. To prevent a heavy breather from causing the entire group to end the dive early the DM or other designated diver will often pair up with a heavy breather and allow them to use their octo to share air and prevent a premature exit. In a dive your own tank model the DM will normally pop a DSMB while staying at a moderate depth and allow the initial low on air divers (single or buddy pairs depending on their dive styles) to rise and do their safety stop and then exit to the boat. During this procedure the DM normally keeps a close eye on the exiting diver until they are on the boat. Another variant in a dive your tank operation is if the DM recognizes you as a self-reliant diver and you have (and can use) your own DSMB, you can pop your own DSMB and exit on your own. Regardless of model, IMO, it is a good idea to have and know how to use a DSMB. I find it much easier to launch a buoy and go a little negative on buoyancy so that I can hang off it at the safety stop. A very important part of the pre-dive briefing in Cozumel is to know the name of your boat and the radio channel they operate on. In the more popular sites like Palancar in the AM it can get pretty crowded and when you surface another boat may be the closest. Simply tell that boat who you are diving with and they will get ahold of them by radio.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom