First set of regulators for a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had one. It was my first reg. I ditched it for HOG. I will never buy another Hollis regulator from that experience. It is that bad

The new line of regs from hollis are improved significantly if you have a chance to check them out at breakwater scuba. I haven't seen any reason not to consider them if the price is right. I think you're being too harsh on hollis. Like saying you wouldn't buy a ford again because your first car was a pinto.

heck yeah!! awesome deal! Regs feel great and you can tell they will last a long time. that 1st stage feels indestructible haha
It will save you a lot of money in the long run because there is no need for "up-grade"!!!!!
As for the build, you understand why some airlines in our part of the world ban scuba 1st stage on hand carry. It is a lethal weapon!!!

Back to Hollis DC212, it is not a good 2nd per today's standard. I have had one. It was my first reg. I ditched it for HOG. I will never buy another Hollis regulator from that experience. It is that bad

I have 2 of the Hollis 212 2nd stages and 2 of the Dive Rite XT2 2nd stages. I find the Hollis to breathe as good or better than the Dive Rites. I've had the Hollis regs for getting close to 2 years. Used them in the pool, the quarry, and the ocean. No sign of needing to service them yet. They still work great.

I had a 212 freeze on me during a ice dive with Mike from DRIS, I wanted to test it out. I exited on a HOG....(metal barrel)

Anyhow the metal barrel where it meets the hose is conducting heat from the surrounding water which helps prevent ice at the oriface/lp seat , a metal barrel also is getting heat from your exhaled breath and that is helping keep the spring around the poppet from forming ice.

Metal barrel balanced seconds in general do much better in cold than plastic barreled balanced seconds. I'm pretty confident in that statement.
An article by the scientific director of the NEDU on cold water, regulators and how they fail.
Authorized for Cold Water Service: What Divers Should Know About Extreme Cold
Oh, and what is cold water?
Eating Crow – Safe Water Temperatures for Scuba Regulators

I just want to point that that somehow the ENTIRE but the (US, Burma and Liberia) world has successfully managed the switch to the metric system.
There are two types of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and those that have had a man walk on the moon. :)

But yeah, meters and Bar is a better choice for diving.

Burma and Liberia have put people on the moon?!? LOL

It will save you a lot of money in the long run because there is no need for "up-grade"!!!!!
As for the build, you understand why some airlines in our part of the world ban scuba 1st stage on hand carry. It is a lethal weapon!!!
haha yeah that 1st stage is deadly if used as a weapon

I have 2 of the Hollis 212 2nd stages and 2 of the Dive Rite XT2 2nd stages. I find the Hollis to breathe as good or better than the Dive Rites. I've had the Hollis regs for getting close to 2 years. Used them in the pool, the quarry, and the ocean. No sign of needing to service them yet. They still work great.

I never said my 212 didn't breath well. It is the quality of construction is on the low side. IMO, definitely below DiveRite XT and HOG classic, and cost more, and with that plastic barrel. With TX50 at $299, why in the world would you choose Hollis over Apek?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom