First set of regulators for a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jherny

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to diving and new to the board.

id like to buy my first set of regulators and computer but can't decide due to lack of experience. I've done some research and I have some basic understanding of the different balanced and unbalanced stuff out there, ect... And the more I learn the harder the process. So I was hoping some of you can guide me in the right direction with some recreational regulators.

I don't need the top of the line or anything fancy, just something that will last if I take care of it, is reliable, oh and it won't break the bank.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome.

There are tons of options. My advice, don't stress over your first reg purchase. Buy what you can easily afford and you feel confident diving a lot.

It's hard to go wrong with any common regulator design or manufacturer. We all have our favourites and reasons for liking them. I've used closer to 50 and only a couple I wouldn't recommend for comfortable recreational diving. Those were obviously flimsy plastic and the other was circa 1964 with dry rot holes in the diagram making it breath wet.

Second thought: If you don't mind used you can get it looked over by your instructor and save quite a lot of money and get a tried and true design.

Enjoy the process!
Cameron

Thanks for the advice!

Welcome.

There are tons of options. My advice, don't stress over your first reg purchase. Buy what you can easily afford and you feel confident diving a lot.

It's hard to go wrong with any common regulator design or manufacturer. We all have our favourites and reasons for liking them. I've used closer to 50 and only a couple I wouldn't recommend for comfortable recreational diving. Those were obviously flimsy plastic and the other was circa 1964 with dry rot holes in the diagram making it breath wet.

Second thought: If you don't mind used you can get it looked over by your instructor and save quite a lot of money and get a tried and true design.

Enjoy the process!
Cameron

I found a used set for $590 less than a yr old.

Aqualung core 1st & 2nd
ABS octo
And suunto zoop console

What do you guys think?

Your reg choice will (should) depend a lot on where you get service and parts. There are a lot of decent options, and some that are way overpriced. Do you have friends who can guide you? Or a local shop that you are comfortable with? I would ask them what types/brands they service and will work for you.

There are several options where you can mail your regs for service, but that will not help you in a last-minute situation.

Computers are another matter. Lots of options and things to consider. You will want to make sure you get one that is Nitrox compatible, or you might end up outgrowing it pretty fast. Whether you want air-integrated, or multi-gas will depend on what kind of diving interests you. There are new options recently on the scene too, so this is a fast changing market. **depending on your budget, you my want to go with a used mid-range unit that will get you going until you are in a better position to decide on a higher end computer. For example.. I like the Hollis DG02 (same as Veo180nx), for a nitrox computer you can find used for around $100-150. It will serve you well and can be switched to a back-up bottom timer down the road if you chose to get a computer with more options.

Here is how I would go about my decision ...

Cold Water = Sealed Diaphragms (Dive Rite, Hog, Deep6, Apeks)
Warm Water = Sealed Diaphragms plus pistons (Atomics, Scubapro)

Want to service them your self = Hog, Deep6
Want to get them serviced = whichever of them has the closest dealership.

For my style of diving I would stay away from pistons.

Reactions: tep
That $590 deal is a bit high I think. The TX50 deal is really good at DRIS. My first reg set was Sherwood Maxximus used rental stuff. Very used and abused but maintained well. Paid $120 for 1st, 2-2nds, and analog console w/ compass. Still works great. Bought a new wrist Zoop. The Zoop shows depth and NDL and that's all I need in a computer.

Getting a brand you can service locally is important. Any brand being used as rentals locally for you would be a good bet. Usually inexpensive and durable.

My next set will be Deep6.

I would also consider this setup from DGX:

DGX Custom - Hollis DC1/212 Streamlined OW Reg Package | Dive Gear Express®

$399 and includes an SPG and LPI hose.

The Hollis 1st stage has a swivel turret with a bottom 5th LP port.

The Hollis 2nd stages are adjustable work-of-breathing and have a dive/pre-dive switch. I have been using these same regs for almost 2 years now and find them to be at least equal to my Dive Rite XT regs, which I also have.

And it's DIN and comes with the yoke adapter from DGX. You can use a DIN reg on any tank (possibly by adding the yoke adapter). You cannot use a yoke reg on all tanks. No adapter will let you use a yoke 1st stage on a 300 bar DIN valve.

Back
Top Bottom