1 week to go for Key Largo diving - psyched and somewhat nervous (still a newbie LOL)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost never dive without a camera for snap shot. I use a Snappy Coil, so I can let it go when I wish, and take it back when I wish. As for task loading, given that you don't have a lot of dives yet, be mindful all this is going on...

1.) You need to maintain buoyancy & depth, staying off the reef.

2.) You need to keep up with where the guide is going (if you're doing guided dives), and where your buddy is (if assigned one).

3.) You need to frequently monitor your tank pressure. Probably the guide will have you signal your amount of air at times, and you'll need to let him know when you're around a half-tank. Especially if your air consumption is amongst the faster of the group.

4.) You'll be looking for things to film.

5.) Due to the zoom effect of being underwater and wearing a mask, you lose considerable peripheral vision.

6.) You can't talk & lack directional hearing.

7.) It's a 3-D world; unlike on land, what's over & under you also matters. You're trying not to blunder into, drop down on or rise up into, or kick, other divers. They can affect you the same way.

8.) While looking for things to film, you'll be trying to keep up with what the guide is pointing out.

9.) If you're doing shallow reef dives rather than deep wrecks, NDL will probably not be an issue. But be aware it matters in diving.

10.) And now, camera drama. Is this thing on? Do I think I'm framing what I want the way I want? Etc...

You don't daydream, do you? Tune out into your own introvert world? 'Cause I do intermittently...

I'm not saying don't take your GoPro. I'm just saying task-loading is a very different animal underwater than on land, because even when you're diving comfortably and aren't thinking about it all that much, you're using more mental bandwidth than you realize, and have less left over for added tasks than you think.

Richard.

WOW, very interesting points I never even considered! Thanks Rich, I will definitely take everything into consideration as well as be considerate to those around me. I'd like to say I'm going to practice, but the temps and water here in NY are FFFFRRRIGID (which is why I prefer tropical dives over cold water dives any day of the week).

Hmm...maybe I can practice in the dive shop pool for an hour....not the same, might help with just getting comfortable, pretend I am in a open sea environment.

My dives are booked, deepest I'm going appears to be 30 feet. Ehhh.....I would've liked deeper (60 to 80), but considering I haven't done this since last April, and that I want to get to see a lot of species, shallow reefs may be the way to go.

I'm already tasting the fish tacos (although I never had any).....can't wait!

What you're feeling is just excitement! It's great to be prepared, but there's nothing like experience. Since you are booked with Rainbow Reef, and I dive with them all the time, I can tell you that you will be in good hands. A dive guide is included in your dives unless you request to be on your own. I would recommend that you request diving with Jardin, and tell him the Cajuns sent you :wink: Jardin has been there for a long time and is GREAT fun to dive with! If you are lucky enough to dive with Jesus, please tell him we'll see him in May :D

You can keep up with the current water temperature at Molasses Reef on Rainbow Reef's site...just check at the top of the page and the weather/water info is always posted there:
Scuba Diving Florida Keys | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, FL

I also shoot with a GoPro 3+. I would suggest that you turn the power off when you're not shooting something. By doing that, your battery will last for 2 dives. You will definitely need to change batteries after 2 dives. Remember that the lens is very wide angle - you will need to get very close if you want any detail in the shot. It's wise to remember that any other divers with cameras will be waiting to photo/video the same subject you are on, so it's polite to get your shot and let the others in for theirs. If it's something I'm really anxious to get good shots of, I'll usually just wait around until the others are done and go back to finish up. It's the courteous thing to do.

I used to be afraid of sharks when I first started too! You will quickly learn that there's no need for concern. As you dive more and meet more divers, you'll find that most divers WISH for the opportunity to see and photograph sharks. We have seen several nurse sharks in Key Largo. I usually go right up to them and video - have never had a problem. Last year we saw a few small reef sharks swimming around. They seemed young and curious - came around to check us out and then moved on. You would be fortunate to see them!

The most important suggestion I can make to is to communicate with your dive guide. Share your interests and concerns with them and they will do their absolute best to make your dives the best they can be. I hope you will be kind enough to write us a trip report when you get home. It's always nice to hear how things went :D

Last edited:
What you're feeling is just excitement! It's great to be prepared, but there's nothing like experience. Since you are booked with Rainbow Reef, and I dive with them all the time, I can tell you that you will be in good hands. A dive guide is included in your dives unless you request to be on your own. I would recommend that you request diving with Jardin, and tell him the Cajuns sent you :wink: Jardin has been there for a long time and is GREAT fun to dive with! If you are lucky enough to dive with Jesus, please tell him we'll see him in May :D

You can keep up with the current water temperature at Molasses Reef on Rainbow Reef's site...just check at the top of the page and the weather/water info is always posted there:
Scuba Diving Florida Keys | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, FL

I also shoot with a GoPro 3+. I would suggest that you turn the power off when you're not shooting something. By doing that, your battery will last for 2 dives. You will definitely need to change batteries after 2 dives. Remember that the lens is very wide angle - you will need to get very close if you want any detail in the shot. It's wise to remember that any other divers with cameras will be waiting to photo/video the same subject you are on, so it's polite to get your shot and let the others in for theirs. If it's something I'm really anxious to get good shots of, I'll usually just wait around until the others are done and go back to finish up. It's the courteous thing to do.

I used to be afraid of sharks when I first started too! You will quickly learn that there's no need for concern. As you dive more and meet more divers, you'll find that most divers WISH for the opportunity to see and photograph sharks. We have seen several nurse sharks in Key Largo. I usually go right up to them and video - have never had a problem. Last year we saw a few small reef sharks swimming around. They seemed young and curious - came around to check us out and then moved on. You would be fortunate to see them!

The most important suggestion I can make to is to communicate with your dive guide. Share your interestes and concerns with them and they will do their absolute best to make your dives the best they can be. I hope you will be kind enough to write us a trip report when you get home. It's always nice to hear how things went :D

If I do meet Jardin or Jesus, I will definitely tell them you said hi! I read up reviews on RR, so far I am happy with them. My dive instructor told me to go with them as well (another option was Ocean Divers).

I noticed the wide angle lens right away when I took pictures of my daughter from afar and close up. Here's a question: I read up that many underwater pictures come out with a blue or greenish color because of the way light bends in the water. To alleviate this, I bought a suggested red filter, which when installed it appears to somewhat correct the issue of having to have the subject up close to get a good shot.

I also read up on some type of macro lens for the GoPros: do these work? If yes, can I use my red filter with it?

I will definitely be sharing my story when I get back! Thanks to everyone again for all their advice and suggestions!

I have not yet tried the macro lens for the GoPro. So far, when I am able to get up close to the subject, I'm fairly pleased with the result - without a macro lens.

I use the Backscatter 3.1 Combo Filter package from Backscatter.com and have been very pleased with the results. It's a flip filter system that allows you to have two different filters available at a time. There are filters for "Shallow" (0-20'), "Dive" (20'-50'), and "Deep" (Over 50').

Your red filter will probably be fine for Key Largo, since you will be sticking with the shallow dives. When you start going deeper, you will find that the colors no longer look natural on your videos. That's why I like being able to have the different filters available to compensate for the differing light at greater depths.

Have a GREAT dive trip!

the Keys dives come in three flavors:

reefs 20-35: Lots of life
outside reefs done as drift dives: 60-80 Interesting but more open, smaller coral, larger sponges some life better chance of big stuff
Deep wrecks 95-120 depending if you stay on the main deck or not. Can do shallower if you stay up in the superstructure.

Most boats do deep or reef unless you ask for drift. Drift usually a six pack or one of the big boats with only a couple divers.

So unless you are thinking of drift you will have trouble finding a 60 ft dive. Be happy. Much more NDL at 30 then at 60.

. . .
outside reefs done as drift dives: 60-80 Interesting but more open, smaller coral, larger sponges some life better chance of big stuff
. . .
Most boats do deep or reef unless you ask for drift. Drift usually a six pack or one of the big boats with only a couple divers.

Hey Steve, I learn something every day. What dive ops are known for doing these "outside reefs done as drift dives"? I've never heard of it, and I think I've used four different ops over the years. How would I even inquire about it? Just inquire if they do a drift dive?

reefs 20-35: Lots of life
Deep wrecks 95-120 depending if you stay on the main deck or not. Can do shallower if you stay up in the superstructure.

So unless you are thinking of drift you will have trouble finding a 60 ft dive. Be happy. Much more NDL at 30 then at 60.

Steve, good points and interesting to know. I am learning something new every day. I'll take the 30 foot dives and lots of life. I know that makes my wife happy I'm not going any deeper and will be hanging out with the "smaller fishes" :cool2:

Hey Steve, I learn something every day. What dive ops are known for doing these "outside reefs done as drift dives"? I've never heard of it, and I think I've used four different ops over the years. How would I even inquire about it? Just inquire if they do a drift dive?

I drifted Conch Wall w/ Conch Republic last summer (at least I think it was last summer...it was sooooo long ago:() Might give Admiral Brenda a buzz. I don't know if it's on their regular schedule, but they have always been great about setting something up if you're going to be around and you give them a bit of notice. They like to drift when they can. :)

Sorry Lorenzoid, can't remember if they are one of your goto's or not.

I drifted Conch Wall w/ Conch Republic last summer (at least I think it was last summer...it was sooooo long ago:() Might give Admiral Brenda a buzz. I don't know if it's on their regular schedule, but they have always been great about setting something up if you're going to be around and you give them a bit of notice. They like to drift when they can. :)

Interesting. I've dived with them and never knew it was a possibility. I've even been the first to sign up and therefore got to suggest where to go. I think I've always dived on weekends, though, when the usual candidates seem to be the major wrecks and the shallow reefs. Perhaps mid-week is a better time to get in one of these drift dives?

Interesting. I've dived with them and never knew it was a possibility. I've even been the first to sign up and therefore got to suggest where to go. I think I've always dived on weekends, though, when the usual candidates seem to be the major wrecks and the shallow reefs. Perhaps mid-week is a better time to get in one of these drift dives?

Not sure about the weekend thing. I drive up from Big Pine so I have a tough time making the early boat. They tend to (not always) do wrecks in the morning and reefs in the afternoon, so if I want a wreck I usually call and they seem to go out of their way to set me up (or they were going anyway, but it makes me feel important that they help me out :)). Anyway I was browsing their site one evening and noticed they "like to drift." So the next time I asked and sure enough later that week I was drifting.

I guess it's also current dependent. Hard to drift if there ain't no current. I guess it's just diving w/o an anchor then.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom