1 week to go for Key Largo diving - psyched and somewhat nervous (still a newbie LOL)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Steve, I learn something every day. What dive ops are known for doing these "outside reefs done as drift dives"? I've never heard of it, and I think I've used four different ops over the years. How would I even inquire about it? Just inquire if they do a drift dive?

I have done it four times. First two times were with Bluewater (not sure if they are still there) several years ago and I wanted to do drift dive. So we did one on day one and I lead one (great learning experience) on day 2. Third time was with Bluewater again but under different owners. Met a guy who was diving with them so we buddied for a day of diving with Bluewater which he was already booked with. We did a drift dive. The earlier ones were on a wide gentle slope with sponges, etc. This one was at 70 ft and almost a wall effect for a while. The fourth time was with Ocean Divers a year ago. There were only two of us on the boat (which they will go with) and we were by coincidence both DM candidates he with OD me with somebody else. He was an instabuddy. Mate had seen us both dive before. Mate said how about something different, we said sure and we did drift dive in about 60-70 ft of water. They had floats etc already on the boat. Other guy had to tow the float since I had a big SMB with me and he had nada. This drift dive was on of the three times I have seen reef sharks off Largo.

Note that for the drift course they have to stay in 60 ft or less otherwise can do it out in 70 ft or so. This is on the outer slope where the reef is going deeper.

Bottom line is you can request it. Need to have just a few folks on the boat who are agreeable so a six pack or private charter is easiest.

Outer edge is different. More open. Big sponges. Etc.

the Keys dives come in three flavors:

reefs 20-35: Lots of life
outside reefs done as drift dives: 60-80 Interesting but more open, smaller coral, larger sponges some life better chance of big stuff
Deep wrecks 95-120 depending if you stay on the main deck or not. Can do shallower if you stay up in the superstructure.

Most boats do deep or reef unless you ask for drift. Drift usually a six pack or one of the big boats with only a couple divers.

So unless you are thinking of drift you will have trouble finding a 60 ft dive. Be happy. Much more NDL at 30 then at 60.

Ocean Divers does a Molasses Reef drift dive every Wednesday afternoon, well worth the effort. I first did this dive with OD on Sunday afternoons after a dive on the Duane when there were only a few, experienced divers. Now that I spend nearly all my Florida time in Boynton Beach and Jupiter, these dives do not hold exactly the same adventure for me. I'm afraid I'm spoiled.

Great information on the drift dives--thanks, all. We were almost getting bored with the deep wrecks that give us little bottom time and the shallow reefs with the endless spur-and-groove. Something new to ask about!

Great information on the drift dives--thanks, all. We were almost getting bored with the deep wrecks that give us little bottom time and the shallow reefs with the endless spur-and-groove. Something new to ask about!

Great dives, if you take a liking to drift dives, come up north, all the dives are drift dives

PS Well, in Boynton Beach, with the exception of the Castor, Capt Tony, and Bud Bar wrecks

Conch Republic used to do drifts dives frequently and there used to be a couple of deep balls on Conch reef down Tavernier way.

There are a few sites out of Key Largo where you can get close to 60' without drifting. On a couple of the deep balls on French you can get around 50' to the sand. The deep balls on Mo (current permitting) can get you close to that depth. If you swim away from the bow on the Benwood you can get to a mini wall that will get you 60+ feet if I recall. Carysfort has some deep sites.....etc..

Some of the local guys can give you much more info than me. These are just a few that I can think of

---------- Post added February 18th, 2015 at 04:49 PM ----------

Give CR a call and tell them you want to drift triple X - one of my favorite drift dives in the keys

Speaking of the Benwood, back to the OP...Eric, you should try to dive the Benwood wreck. It's not deep (you wanted to stay shallow), only about 35 to 40 ft. max. It would give you some really interesting shots for your GoPro. The last dive I was on it there was a big school of glass minnows. They look great on video. Plus the wreck is splayed out on the sand like old bones...lots of interesting vantage points. Just a thought. Have fun. :)

Speaking of the Benwood, back to the OP...Eric, you should try to dive the Benwood wreck. It's not deep (you wanted to stay shallow), only about 35 to 40 ft. max. It would give you some really interesting shots for your GoPro. The last dive I was on it there was a big school of glass minnows. They look great on video. Plus the wreck is splayed out on the sand like old bones...lots of interesting vantage points. Just a thought. Have fun. :)

This is the schedule of my dives for next week:

24th
morning: french reef, christmas tree
afternoon: city of washington (wreck), elbow reef
25th
morning: sand island, spanish anchor (part of molasses reef)
afternoon: conch wall & pillar coral
26th
morning: captain's choice, winch hole (center of molasses reef)
afternoon: eagle ray alley, permit ledges

Just returned from three days diving out of Key Largo. I dove February 26,27, and 28. All dives were am dives in the Molasses Reef vicinity. I didn't record all locations but I know one was the Aquarium and one was the statue ( always my least favorite site). The conditions ranged from poor to marginal. The 26th was almost brutal with horrible surge throughout the entire column and very hard to get back on the fin-laddered boat. The 27th and 28th had quite poor vis. Lots of pukers on the boat the 28th.
I have struck out condition's wise my last three winter trips to KL. I'm due for a good one soon.

Try summer time :D

. . .
I have struck out condition's wise my last three winter trips to KL. I'm due for a good one soon.

Talk about hitting one's head against the wall. You're a glutton for punishment.

Summer.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom