1 week to go for Key Largo diving - psyched and somewhat nervous (still a newbie LOL)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove 20, 21, 22

20: Dives were nice (no surge or current, 30 ft viz, 71 degree water) but the 15 min SI was brutal even with a boat coat. 40 degrees. 20 plus wind.
21: Punted the rough reef and high winds and dove Canon Beach and Jules. Canon beach was nice but 60. We did have hooded vests with the wetsuits so ok. Jules stirred up by classes.
22: Did one dive on Molasses. Surge, low viz, and rough on top. Leading a threesome. Despite verifying where boat was several times during the dive, lost the boat at the end. Did a pop up and went back down headed in the right direction via compass. Then started group up. Too much current to do a swimming safety stop so we did it at the top of the reef. Then went up. Lot closer to the boat but still wound up with a longer than preferred surface swim in a top current and heavy chop. Got us all back safely. Buddy and I said enough. Time for a beer and conch chowder. Did get some nice pictures of a friendly sea turtle and ray in spite of the conditions. In fact, the turtle is probably why I got away from my markers and went up the wrong sand channel.

Over the years I have done several short trips in very early March. This one was still a fun trip but was probably the worst diving conditions I have seen on the winter trips.

Attachments

• 1782149_10205161198383928_5315401085294608051_n.jpg
    1782149_10205161198383928_5315401085294608051_n.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
In the past I have had some good diving in KL in the winter, cold, but good. Of course I prefer it there in the summer , who doesn't :wink: ?
My mom winters down there so that is one reason for the winter dives. The second is I just bought a bunch of new under water video equipment that I had to test out before an upcoming trip to Curacao.
Dont want anyone to think I'm a masochist :)

This is the schedule of my dives for next week:

24th
morning: french reef, christmas tree
afternoon: city of washington (wreck), elbow reef
25th
morning: sand island, spanish anchor (part of molasses reef)
afternoon: conch wall & pillar coral
26th
morning: captain's choice, winch hole (center of molasses reef)
afternoon: eagle ray alley, permit ledges

I wonder how the OP did?

Conch Republic used to do drifts dives frequently and there used to be a couple of deep balls on Conch reef down Tavernier way.

We still do drifts upon request. Just give us a call and request a drift either on Triple X which is off Pickles Reef or Conch Wall. Both are great drift dives.
And yes the deep balls are still on Conch Reef.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

We still do drifts upon request. Just give us a call and request a drift either on Triple X which is off Pickles Reef or Conch Wall. Both are great drift dives.
And yes the deep balls are still on Conch Reef.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

Conch Wall as a drift dive is incredibly enjoyable, I've done it twice that way with CRD, as well as several other times tied off to a mooring ball. Conch Wall is one of my favorite reefs in the upper Keys. Next time I'm down, I'll have to request Triple X, I don't think I've ever dove that site.

Still trying to get better on my navigation skills, I'm at 50%. Key Largo is quiet a challenge on navigation because of all the reefs and detour, especially at Molasses and French's Reef! When I was there in Nov w Ocean Divers, I was so proud off myself that we were going in the right direction from Benwood until a DM from Rainbow Reef thought we were their divers and told me to go up to the boat,of course, I second guess myself. Once I surfaced up and handed my fins, I realized they were out of beers. Ocean Divers was keeping our beers cold after our 100yrds surface swim. I'm diving at the lake in Arizona to improve navigation skills,but still wishing my Atomic Cobalt have a GPS someday. And I usually led the dive because I have the most dives in our group:blinking:.

Bubbles Below:

Sadly GPS signals don't work underwater, or so I've heard. Closest thing I've heard to that is the Lynx, which you can use a location feature if you put a transmitter somewhere (e.g.: back on the boat), but even then, the range is limited. That's why I generally go on guided dives when boat diving; too much reef to love for worrying over compass work. Then again, I'm lousy at navigation/situational awareness...

Richard.

Still trying to get better on my navigation skills, I'm at 50%. Key Largo is quiet a challenge on navigation because of all the reefs and detour, especially at Molasses and French's Reef! When I was there in Nov w Ocean Divers, I was so proud off myself that we were going in the right direction from Benwood until a DM from Rainbow Reef thought we were their divers and told me to go up to the boat,of course, I second guess myself. . . .

Key Largo is notoriously difficult navigation, as the topography can be pretty monotonous--it all looks the same to me. Even with a compass, it's difficult to stay oriented, since you generally want to wind your way around the spur-and-groove coral and not just take a heading and do a there-and-back or whatever. I admit to having popped up to the surface on occasion when it's shallow and we have taken so many turns that we're no longer sure where the boat is. Oh well.

Key Largo is notoriously difficult navigation, as the topography can be pretty monotonous--it all looks the same to me. Even with a compass, it's difficult to stay oriented, since you generally want to wind your way around the spur-and-groove coral and not just take a heading and do a there-and-back or whatever. I admit to having popped up to the surface on occasion when it's shallow and we have taken so many turns that we're no longer sure where the boat is. Oh well.

The rule rather than the exception on the shallow reef dives for visitors. Rather than worrying excessively about navigation during the dive, it's much more enjoyable to surface at about 45 minutes, take a bearing on the boat, and head back.

The rule rather than the exception on the shallow reef dives for visitors. Rather than worrying excessively about navigation during the dive, it's much more enjoyable to surface at about 45 minutes, take a bearing on the boat, and head back.

I agree. It's one of things about shallow, fishy, Keys reef dives I enjoy. Just start into the current and try to maintain your orientation, but if you get turned around, popup and take a bearing. Be smart about it. Make a nice slow ascent (just part of the dive), get a bearing, and continue with your dive. Bring your buddy up with you, my wife is better with a compass anyway (I tell her that so I can be lazy :)). Don't buy into it's some kind of "walk of shame/MOF" BS. I also find going slow really helps. There's lots to see and if you get off track, you don't wander so far afield. Sometimes the best wildlife is under the boat. Take advantage of the situation and worry less, enjoy more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom